Oregon

The Unforgivable Couple: Forbidden Love

 

Chapter 11: Oregon

 

In the morning, I woke up to a shrill honking noise.

"M...mwoh...?" When I looked at my alarm clock, it was already nine.

"This is bad! I'm definitely late!"

Even while I was hurriedly changing into a suit, the honking continued as if to hurry me more.

"Gosh, araso!" I was changing into my suit while brushing my teeth. I grabbed my make-up set and flew out of the room while pressing down my bed head.

When I left the foyer, I saw a car right in front. Timidly, I looked inside. My brother, not looking very happy ,was still honking the horn.

"Mianhae! I slept in!"

"You're late! Didn't you set your alarm clock properly?"

"That's why I said mianhae! Let's hurry up and go, okay?"

"Man..."

Like that, we departed for Oregon.

Even after a while, my brother's mood didn't improve.

"For a Lee family member to be putting on make-up in the car...it's unthinkably disgraceful."

"There's no way around it, right? Since I didn't have enough time to put make-up on."

"Did you read that book on manners? What part of you is like a lady?"

"It's because I read that book until late at night that I couldn't wake up! Since somebody said to memorize it all in three days."

"So you're saying it's my fault? In the first place, if you use that sort of language in Oregon...You know you'll be driven out right immediately, right?"

"Araso! Ah, don't drive so recklessly! Mt mascara will look weird!"

"Do you really understand...?" 

My brother's grandmother lived in Los Angeles, where we  were  going. I would be greeting her anew as a proper successor candidate.

"In the first place, there's no reason for me to worry  about you, you know? Since I'm against you as successor."

"Mwoh? You're probably just scared of going by yourself, right?"

"There's no way I'd be s...scared, right...?"

My brother's grandmother was a very strict person, and even he can't compete with her at all. That's obviously the same for me...

 


 

"Yah, what do you think your grandmother will say?"

"That you should put on less make-up?"

"Aniya, I meant regarding how I might succeed."

"Who knows. However, be prepared to be told harsh things."

"Ne..."

Grandmother has never smiled even once for me, a child from a previous marriage. I heard that the one who opposed appa's remarriage to omma until the very end was also her in Los Angeles.

*She definitely won't accept me...I wonder if she'll tell me to leave the Lee family immediately...*

When we arrived at the estate in Oregon, we were immediately taken to a wide Korean-style room. Grandmother was already waiting inside. She looked at us and quietly bowed.

"How have you been, grandmother? I apologize for not coming to visit."

"How have you been?"

"Thank you for coming from such a long ways away. First, Byung Hun ah, you must tired from staying in New York for so long. Assist us so as not to waste what you learnt there juseyo."

"Leave it to me juseyo. I plan to do various things in order for the group to..."

"Leaving that aside, what has happened with your engagement?"

"Eh...?"

"I thought that surely you would have brought your fiancee, Hyuna-ssi."

"Um..."

"You won't tell me that you've annulled the engagement, will you?"

"..."

"Astonishing...If it were just womanizing, I would not care no matter how much you did. However, an engagement isn't such a simple thing, right?"

"N...ne..."

"Even though I told you many times it was too earlier for an engagement, I wonder who it was that puffed out his chest and told me it would be fine. If you want to succeed the Lee family, take responsibility for your own words."

"Ne..."

 


 

My brother was usually towered over everyone. However, he was as small as a child in front of his grandmother. It was so strange to me that I had to look down to stop myself from laughing.

"So Hyun ah."

"N...ne!"

"I heard the main point from Jun Sung (appa). That you may succeed the Lee family."

"Appa did say that..."

"Appa did...?"

"Eh..."

*I wonder if I worded that strangely...*

"What do you think about it? Succeeding the Lee family is different from being left with clean up duty!"

"Um...Er..." As soon as I arrived, the pressure was so heavy I wanted to run away. 

When I looked at my brother to ask for help, he acted distant and turned his gaze upwards.

*H...help me...*

"I don't want your 'um's and 'er's. Tell me the main point."

"I don't have the confidence to succeed the Lee family."

"You don't have the confidence? Does that mean you'll hand over the family to Byung Hun?"

"That is what I am thinking...I told appa that as well."

"I see. Then, why are you still a successor candidate?"

"Appa said that he wanted the two of us to succeed the Lee family."

"Eh...?"

"The two of you..."

"Oppa would do the essential management, while I would be the face of the group...Then, the two of us would pull the Lee family together."

"Yah, Lee So Hyun! Appa said that...?"

"Ne..."

"In short, Jun Sung is thinking of splitting the power in half."

"If that happens, wouldn't it just be unnecessarily chaotic? What is appa thinking..."

"Be quiet! It isn't something to have a fit about!"

"Mianhae...I'm going to go make a phone call for a bit."

 


 

After my brother heard appa's true intention, he left his seat. When I stole a glance at grandmother, she had an expression on her face that was clearly sterner than before.

*Ugh...being one-on-one is though...*

"So Hyun ah..."

"Ne..."

"Speaking honestly, I don't completely understand what Jun Sung is thinking. However, he is the current  head of the Lee family. This isn't something with which I can interfere. Moreover, that child hasn't failed in anything related to business before."

"Eh..."

Still sitting, my grandmother bowed deeply towards me.

"So Hyun ah, I leave the Lee family in your hands."

"G...grandmother...Look up juseyo..." After I stood up without thinking to go to my grandmother's side, she finally looked up again.

"Help the Lee family and Byung Hun juseyo." Grandmother took my head, and for the first time, she smiled at me gently.

That night, we slept in a building separated from Grandmother's home. There were two rooms, so I was  sleeping in a room seperated from oppa's by a door.

*F...for some reason, I'm kind of nervous...*

"Yah, are you asleep already?"

"Not yet. Can't sleep?"

"Ne..."

*I wonder if o...oppa is nervous too...? Maybe I'll tease him a bit.*

"I can't sleep either..." I tried speaking with a slightly   voice.

*Hehe..I wonder what sort of face oppa is making.*

"You too, huh?"

*Eh...?* At the same time as oppa's serious voice, I heard the rustling sound of something moving.

*Eh...? Oppa isn't planning over to come over here, is he...?*

 


 

"Eye mask, eye mask..."

"Eh? Eye mask?"

"It's kind of bright here, right? I thought I had the eye mask I brought to use on the plane in my bag..."

*S...so that's the reason he couldn't sleep...?*

"Come to think of it, when we came a long time ago, we slept in the same room."

"Ne. Appa and the others were in that room. Me and oppa were in this one."

"That time, we slept with our pillows right up next to each other, but...we think it's normal to sleep separately now. I do, and you do too."

"Ne..."

"Somehow..."

"Hmm...?" My brother didn't say anything after that.

"Oppa...? Did you fall asleep?"

*Somehow...What did he want to say after that?* I was interested in what he had to say, so I quietly tried opening the door. 

Inside the room, which was lit up with moonlight...My brother, wearing an eye mask, was sleeping soundly as he stood.

*Gosh, at the most important point...* I was a little angry, so I tried taking off his eye mask. Even then, my brother didn't notice, and his eyes stayed closed.

*Hehe...Even though he's always so proud...His sleeping face hasn't chamged much since back then...*

"Oppa." Even when I tried calling him, my brother's deep, sleeper's breaths stayed the same.

"Oppa..." I drew my face closer, and softly gave my brother a kiss.

*W...what am I doing?* Coming back to my senses, I hurriedly returned to my own mattress. Feeling startled every time I heard my brother's turning over in his sleep from the next room, it became morning before I knew it.

 


 

Preview

On the day of the piano contest, which came only once a year.

"Oh, so the two of you came as well! Byung Hun oppa, listen to my piano then, as it has been a long time."

*Eh...the base of my little finger is turning red. I wonder if I was bitten by a bug...Could it be...this pain...?* When I looked over from the judges' seats to the stage wings, I saw Hyuna, who was smiling slightly.

*O...otoke...?*

 


Author's notes

It's already very late to write chappie... :( Yea, I should up it just now but I was keep disturbing by my lil sis for hours. She's such annoying. >3< I'm gonna up the new chappies afterwards. It's 2AM now, gonna off to bed now. Annyeong~ :D