Chapter 08

Artificial Affection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Sehun?” A surprised gasp escaped his lips as he drew back, astounded by the newcomer. “What are you doing here? Get out!”

            Disregarding his father’s order, Sehun took a seat across from him. He expectantly crossed his arms over his chest, waiting for his father to spill his explanation. “Didn’t you hear me, Oh Sehun? Get out. I don’t want to see you.”

            “And why is that so?” Sehun raised his eyebrow as he neared his face closer to his father’s, closely examining the familiar features. “If you feel distressed now, then you shouldn’t have done the illegal money gambling in the first place.”

            “Sehun, I—“

            “If you were addicted to gambling, you could seek for help. Why didn’t you tell me?” Sehun dryly chuckled—the smile not reaching his eyes.

            “I was—“

            “The court has already issued their verdict. You are to repay all the customers you cheated. The hotels are barely scraping by now that we have this court case in the way.” Sehun pushed a stack of papers towards his father before construing, “I’m already looking for endorsements, but nobody’s willing to sign with us. You’ll have to stay in jail for a little while longer until I find a hundred million to pay back.”

            “Sehun, I deserve this. Why are you—“

            Sehun’s features ossified; his eyes became stony. “Correct, you deserve this. But as your son, I can’t just stand back and watch—although I really think I should. As your son, I will do whatever I can to get you out of here.”

            “Sehun, I’m really than—“

            “I don’t need your words of gratitude. For your information, I contacted our family lawyer.” Sehun took this his time to leave; he scooted out of his seat and stood up. With his back facing his father, his steel grasp on the door handle, he mumbled, “Just hang in there, Abeoji.”

****

            At his entrance, Sehun briefly bowed his head in the direction of the attorney. “Lawyer Lee, it’s been a while.”

            “Sehun, please take a seat. Make yourself at home.” The said lawyer quickly gestured to a leather chair right in front of his desk. Sehun did as he was told.

            “I’m assuming you’re here for your father, correct?”

            “Lawyer Lee, you never fail to amaze me with your capability of predicting one’s mind.”

            “What can I say, after many years of practice in this field, I can read everybody’s thoughts.” Lawyer Lee strained a smile before his mood became solemn. “I heard that he owes a hundred million to the customers he cheated. I'm assuming you want me to give you some well-needed advice." 

            “Do tell.”

            “There are two ways in which you can earn this amount of money in such a short period of time. You can confront your mother about this situation or you get married. If you choose the latter choice, preferably choose a heiress of a large company. Both companies

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter