Chapter 23

Artificial Affection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After minutes of eagerly awaiting Hana’s reply, Kai was heartbroken to discover she had turned him down. It wasn’t that Kai did not believe that Hana had other issues to deal with, but he was disappointed with himself. He should have written a better explanation in his text. There wasn’t anybody to blame but himself.

            Kai sighed as he scrolled through his phone's contacts. His finger stopped in the middle of the list before ringing up the caller.

            “Hello?” The opposite end immediately picked up after the first ring.

            “Krystal, its Kai – is it alright for me to visit Yoo Jin tonight?”  

            “Yeah, sure – we were just about to go out to eat. I’ll text you the restaurant address.”

            “Okay, I’ll see you later,” Kai hung up first.

****

            I got off work early that day, fortunately beating the evening commute. After parking the car into the garage, I headed upstairs to my room. Now standing in front of my many articles of clothing, I realized that I wasn’t quite sure what the dress code was – casual or semi-formal. I finally decided to send a text to Sehun regarding my concerns. He answered back shortly with a terse text.

            Whatever you like – I’m wearing a dress shirt and khakis.

            I decided to stick with a striped maxi dress with a thick belt wrapped around to show off my slim figure. I hoped it was suitable to the reunion – which then remindeme. Why did I even agree to Sehun? In the beginning, I had been hesitant. I didn't want to intrude on Sehun and his friends – that would just be rude. But Sehun had insisted. Was it because I wanted Kai to taste his own medicine? Was that why? If that was the case, I didn’t feel too certain of choosing Sehun over Kai now.

            After tidying myself up, I headed downstairs with the latest edition of Chanel draped over my shoulder. Originally, my brother had bought it as a “welcome” gift but I refused to accept his lavish present. It was $5000 for Pete’s sake – that was just too much. But I decided to finally put the purse into use after having it stuffed at the back of my closet for months. Besides, I knew Chanyeol would scold me if I didn't put his present into use.

            “You’re going somewhere?” Chanyeol’s words were blown into my ear, causing me to cower away.

            “Ugh, don’t do that again,” I rubbed my left ear, hoping to rid of the tingling feeling. “But yes, I’m headed out – don’t wait for me. I’ll come back a little late – I have my keys.”

            “Where are you going?” Chanyeol continued pestering me with his seemingly never-ending questions. But of course – as a big brother, he had to be protective of me.

            “Out with my friends,” I answered simply.  

            At first, it seemed as if Chanyeol didn’t believe me. Eventually though, he nodded his head. “By the way, good job on the endorsement – I don’t know how you convinced Abeoji. Congratulations, nonetheless.” He patted my head on the way out of the room.

****

            Krystal casted her phone to the side of her coffee cup. Her eyes glazed over the female seated across from her. She drummed her fingers, unsure where to start.

            “I want her phone number, and I want it now,” she demanded.

            “Krystal, I can’t do that – I have no right to release – “

            “Yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter