Chapter 34

Artificial Affection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Are you sure you don’t want to see him off?” Chanyeol asked me for another time. According to him, most of Sehun’s friends were sending him off later this hour. I was hesitant about the offer. Half of me wanted to accept, but the other half was reminded of Sehun’s cruel words.

            “No – it’s better if I don’t see him at all.” I knew I was lying to myself, but I had to get over Sehun eventually. After all he has done to me, for the better if I just gave up on him entirely.

            “Well…if you have any second thoughts, his flight is at 8:30. It’s Gate G.” And then Chanyeol left. A voice whispered at the back of my head. I knew I would regret this decision sooner or later. I peered down the window ledge, looking down just in time to see Chanyeol zoom off in his BMW SUV. Perfect. Then I headed downstairs to the car garage and boarded my own car.

****

            Now that the issues interlaced with Krystal were cleared up, Kai was now free. But before anything, Kai had to see Sehun off first. There was one last question he had to ask Sehun before he took off to China. Anything else could wait – Kai will have to call Hana another time later.

            He sprinted towards Gate G and immediately saw the clump of his friends. Kai instantly knew Sehun was at the center of that mob. Pushing through the barrier of his friends, he reached Sehun. Some of their friends were taken back by Kai's sudden appearance, while others remained quiet.

            “Sehun, I need to ask you a question,” Kai panted as he rested both of his palms on his knee caps.

            “Kai – you – “

            “Do – did you ever have genuine feelings for Hana?” He knew that everybody was watching the two exchange words, but this was what Kai had planned all along. With their mutual friends surrounding them, it was time for the truth to be revealed. Kai knew it was a question everybody was dying to ask. They just didn’t have the courage to.

            “Kai, I need to – “

            “Answer me,” Kai said firmly, “or else you’ll be late for your flight.” Sehun opened his mouth to speak when a female voice interrupted the conversation. “Sehun!” Everyone turned – it was Hayoung. “We need to go, like now.”

            “Sehun, I won’t let you go if you don’t answer.” Kai gripped onto his wrist.

            “Sehun oppa,” Hayoung exclaimed from the other side. Sehun turned his head towards his step-sister. “I’ll be there in just a moment, hold on Hayoung.” He then faced Kai. “Artificial things can become genuine if only you believe.” And then he snatched his wrist from Kai’s clutches and left.  

****

            I had made it just in time to see Sehun and Kai exchange a few words. I didn’t have the courage to step out from behind the wall and actually confront Sehun. Seeing his face alone was good enough for me. But then I heard my name in the mix of their conversation. I crept a little closer, hoping to catch the words said.

            “Do – did you ever have genuine feelings for Hana?” I suddenly stopped. Did Kai really just ask about me to Sehun? A female girl from the side called for Sehun, but was ignored by both boys. It was apparent that Kai wouldn’t release Sehun until he answered his question.

            “Artificial things can become genuine if only you believe.” And then he left. Everyone was puzzled by Sehun's vague words, but I could understand him quite well. Kai seemed evidently bewildered, though. A few minutes later, when everybody regained their composure, the rest of the group dispersed, leaving Kai alone. He trudged into my direction with both of his hands deep in his pockets. I stepped out from behind the wall, now in the pathway of him. He glanced up, slightly shocked.

            “Hana…” my name escaped his lips. “You’re here.”

****

January 2008

            “What if we don’t end up marrying each other?” I asked on a chilly January night. Kai’s face was nestled in my neck – his breath warming my chilled body. He did not reply and instead silence wrapped around us. “Kai, answer me. What will happen?”

            “Then let’s still invite each other to our wedding – we’re still childhood friends,” Kai eventually answered as he snuggled closer to me for body heat.

            “Yes, childhood friends,” I repeated.

            “But don’t over think things too much, Hana,” Kai interlaced our fingers together. “Half of my heart is already with you – so even if we don’t marry, you’ll still have half of my heart.”

            “You own half of my heart as well,” I smiled before leaning my head on his shoulder. “Let’s be happy for each other even if we don’t marry.”

            “Just knowing that I own half of your heart makes me complete,” Kai said with a goofy grin.

            “You’re so cheesy, Kai. Why do I even like you?”

            “Because I own half of your heart.”

****

September 2015

           

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter