Chapter 05

Artificial Affection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I should get going now.” I proclaimed as I shouldered my small bag. I fixed the strap so that it rested comfortably on my shoulder blade before I dug out my car keys. Kai didn’t say anything, but simply followed me on the way out.

            I was still a little drowsy from all the food I had consumed from the professionally-cooked dinner. I had a bad habit of napping after I ate such delectable, mouth-watering food. Honestly, I had originally planned to leave after telling Kai about the Byuns’ party, but the maids and butlers insisted I stay for dinner. I had to no choice but to comply to their requests.

            “Well,” I broke the awkward and uncomfortable silence after I slipped into my flats, “goodnight.” As I reached for the doorknob—which was only a few inches away from my hand—Kai’s voice pierced the thick air that encompassed both of our bodies.

            “So about Baekhyun’s family’s company celebration…since we’re going together, shouldn’t we…” A period of silence ensued after Kai’s unfinished sentence. I spun around, rhetorically asking, “Should we what?”

            Kai pressed the palm of his hand to the back of his neck, his eyes avoiding mine at all costs—so it seemed. “Shop for my suit and your gown?”

            I stifled a laugh by slapping my hand over my mouth. Kai may have the experience with the ladies, but that didn’t mean he was naïve in other aspects in life. “There’s no need for that. All you need to do is buy a matching colored tie to my gown.”

           Hearing this, Kai's confidence seemingly shot up. “Well, from what I recall, you don’t have a great taste in fashion.” Kai rested the tip of his elbow on the wall adjacent to me. I let a small scoff, feeling somewhat ridiculed by Kai’s statement. I couldn’t deny that what he said was false, but it wasn’t entirely true either. In my defense, I really didn’t care about the looks in high school. All that really mattered were my grades, because they propelled me to get into a satisfactory college. But now that I was done with my education, I began to pay more attention to how I dressed.

            “On the contrary, though,” Kai continued further, “I do. I can help you choose out a gown.”

            Slightly amused by Kai’s sentence, I questioned, “And why would you want to do that? I thought you didn’t want me to meddle with your business.” I raised my fingers to form quotes.

    

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter