Chapter 20

Artificial Affection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“…I never had with you,” After regaining his composure almost instantly, Kai denied everything. He was telling the truth – what right did Krystal have to accuse him of such a sin?

            Krystal’s bottom lip began quivering with anger. “You’re f.ucking unbelievable.”  

            “We only dated for one month, Krystal Jung. Don’t accuse me of things that I can never imagine of doing.” Kai fixed his trousers as he stood up from the sofa. “You wasted my time, Krystal. I thought I could trust you – I guess not anymore.” He then headed towards the door – his hand now grabbing tightly onto the golden door knob. Ready to leave the smothering apartment in any moment, Kai froze at Krystal’s words.

            “What about that night when she left you?” Her mocking words were enough for him to turn around in realization. The question registered in his mind – thoughts pouring in from every corner of his brain.

            “…you’re lying.” Kai stammered, confusion laced with his tone. “You’re lying.” Each time he said the sentence, his voice only increased louder. No, this can’t be happening.

            “I don’t lie about other people’s lives, especially when they’re just four years old.”

            “I’m dating her, Krystal. Hana’s innocent – don’t drag her into this.”

            “She’s naïve?” A wicked laugh escaped Krystal’s half-parted lips. “I thought you should know well enough that Hana Park is not innocent – she never will be. She’s a tainted monster.”

            “Why do you hate her so much? You can hate me, but why – “

            “Because she has you dancing foolishly at the palm of her hand – you’re her toy.”

****

            “Sehun,” Luhan emerged from the shadows of the lonely hallway of the mansion, “let’s talk.” Luhan had been waiting in the pitch darkness for more than an hour. He had been waiting for his younger Korean friend to return from the night’s cruise. Luhan saw no point in having Sehun drive Hana Park home – she could easily pull up a cab, yet Sehun took the burden to drive her home.

            Things were getting a little too fishy, in all honesty.

            “No – I’m really exhausted, Luhan hyung.” Removing his hand from Luhan’s steel grasp, Sehun brushed shoulders with Luhan as he ascended up the stairs. Luhan whipped back, bewildered. Not once did his Korean friend reject a man-to-man conversation. Not once.

****

            Because my father was out of the country to meet with one of his friends in Canada, Chanyeol took advantage of his absence. By doing so, he decided to throw a party. Yes, a party to welcome his fellow Chinese friends. But knowing my brother for quite some while, I knew Chanyeol was just using his friends as an excuse to throw another one of his celebrations. Classic of Chanyeol.

            If only my father acknowledged the fact this his son was a wild animal, he would have handed all company related matters into my hands. But he didn’t. So the company was rightfully Chanyeol’s.

            “Enjoying the party?” Sehun materialized next to me as he brought the rim of the cup up to his lips. From where I stood, I could detect a mixed scent of Abercrombie & Fitch cologne and alcohol. Having a low tolerance for liquor, I decided to stay clear of the beer. Plus, I knew my brother and his friends would get wasted and I had to be the sober one to take care of them.

            I shifted away, putting more distance between us. Although I admittedly felt moved by Sehun’s kiss, I had to remind myself that I was supposedly dating Kai. Sehun should know when to draw the line. If he didn’t, then I would have to take matters into my own hands.

            “Like I said, I’m not a big fan of parties. Thank goodness it’s just us though – I would feel claustrophobic around strangers,” I confessed as the evening breeze swept past me.

            “Mmm,” Sehun casted a faraway glance to the twinkling city lights as if in deep thought.

            I don’t know why, but I found myself asking, “Kai didn’t come?”

            “I thought you were his girlfriend,” Sehun remarked almost mockingly, “But no. He said he needed to deal with some issues.”

            It became quiet after that.

            “Sehun—“

            “Hana—“ As if the atmosphere was not awkward enough, both Sehun and I addressed each other simultaneously. I briefly looked away, slightly humiliated.

            “Sorry, you go first,” Sehun was quick to apologize.

            “Tell me about your family – I realized I don’t know much about your life.”

            “I have a dad and a mom – there’s nothin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter