Chapter 17

Artificial Affection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was an energy-consuming day. The type where you feel lethargic and solely want to collaspe in your bed. But you can't. Because meetings aree scheduled back to back. Much to Chanyeol's disappointment, today was that sort of day. From one place to the next, Chanyeol was forced to skip lunch. Skipping a meal for the Park heir was absolutely impossible. He would starve of hunger. But starvation was the only way to go when you wanted your family company to prosper. Fortunately though, his hectic schedule came to an end around four in the afternoon. All he yearned for was a nice cold shower followed by a nice home-cooked kimchi meal. Even the thought wandering in his head induced drool coming from Chanyeol's mouth.

            Beginning to loosen his smothering tie, Chanyeol walked into his personal office. He saw a lone figure sit at his sofa before panic struck him. Is it a serial killer who wants my life? Chanyeol was always a scaredy-cat to begin with. He gulped down his apprehension, trying to get a better view of the figure. Their head soon whipped backwards, now facing Chanyeol. The Park heir let out a sigh of relief. “Uncle Kim, I’m surprised to see you here. Unfortunately, my father isn’t in right now, but I can leave a message for him if you would like,” Chanyeol professionally masked his stupefaction with a polite smile. He wasn’t expecting the renowned businessman to sit in his very own office, because like many other people, Mr. Kim would give the required privacy. Today wasn’t one of those days, so it seemed.

            “Actually Chanyeol, I’m here to see you.” The said capitalist stood up and tucked both hands into his pockets. “I suppose you already know your father’s birthday is approaching. In fact, it’s two weeks from now.”

            “Oh, if that’s what you want to talk about, then suggestions should go directly to my secretary. She’s in charge of it, actually.”

            “That isn’t what I’m talking about, son.” Mr. Kim clasped a hand on Chanyeol’s shoulder. “As an old companion of your father’s, he is all about the fame. Nothing less, nothing more. It would make him overjoyed to know that your sister and my son will be dancing for him.”

           Chanyeol was puzzled at the queer words. “What do you mean, Uncle Kim? Why would they be dancing for my father?”

            “A choreographed dance is what I’m implying. Your father was always one to enjoy the arts, and I vividly remember him attending many musical concerts your high school held. Everytime Hana and Kai would have a dance performance, he would be there.” Recognition flickered over Chanyeol’s eyes. Mr. Kim continued, “So what I’m saying is, when Hana and Kai come back from Los Angeles, they are to begin practicing for their dance. I already hired a teacher.”

            “So I’m assuming you would like me to convince my sister.”

           Mr. Kim gave a slight nod of his head. “If you are unable to, then send her over to my house. I’ll take things from there.”

            “Will do.”

****

            After the tension gradually eased down, Yunho finally took the time to introduce the stranger to me. The stranger was a natural beauty, although he was a guy. His chocolate brown fringe framed his small face, making his aura come off as innocent. It was no wonder why Yunho fell for him.

            “This is Jae Joong. Kim Jae Joong.” When Yunho mentioned his significant other’s name, his eyes twinkled with happiness. I knew he was happy with this guy. If my friend was happy, then I would be too.

            “I’m Hana Park. Nice to meet you,” I turned to Yunho, “you guys match each other really well. I’m proud of you, Yunho.”

            “…” I could practically see Yunho’s brain organizing his thoughts before he finally said something aloud. “I’m assuming you heard the news too.”

            “It’s nothing to be ashamed of, Yunho,” I said.

            “My father disowned me after he found out the news,” Yunho swallowed uncomfortably, “I’m no longer welcomed back in Korea. I’m no longer a Jung, really.” At this point, Yunho was at the brink of tears. His voice had cracked plentiful of times, proving that he truly was vulnerable. From under the table, I saw Jae Joong comfortingly place his hand on Yunho’s.

            “Don’t push yourself, Yunho.” For the first time, I heard Jae Joong fluidly speak. His words came out nicely, smoothly flowing out like honey. I met eyes with him, knowing that he cared for Yunho as much as I did. If anything, Jae Joong cared for Yunho more.

            “Hana, you won’t turn away from me like my family right?” His words tore at my heart, breaking it piece by piece. I could hear it shatter, literally.

            “I won’t, Yunho.” I smiled reassuringly. Feeling a pair of eyes glued on me, I turned to face Kai. He was musing over my features, but quickly darted his eyes away after realizing he had been caught. I glanced back at Yunho was drying his tears with Jae Joong’s handkerchief.

            Everyone has their own problems. Sometimes, others have more down’s than up’s.

            I felt warmth encompass my left hand. Peeking down at my lap, I noticed Kai’s hand was wrapped around mine. His fingers stuck in the air, unsure what to do next. I knew I would regret the next step, but as Lil’ Wayne said, you only live once. I interlaced my fingers with his and left it there for the remaining minutes.

            His hand acted as a reassurance. He was still there for me.

****

            “Hana, can I see you privately for a moment?” After exiting the c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter