Chapter 26

Artificial Affection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

           Kai and I managed to pull off a spectacular dance – all accredited to Lee Taemin and Son Na Eun. Many business men had been awestruck by the complex routine. Fortunately, we didn’t make any mistakes – if we had, they had gone unnoticed. We later met up with Taemin and Na Eun after changing back into our evening clothes.

            “You guys were awesome – better than we had expected,” Taemin teased.

            “Taemin, don’t be so mean.” Na Eun shook her head at her boyfriend before reassuring us, “you guys were fabulous during practice as well. Don’t take Taemin’s words seriously.”

            “We won’t,” I smiled before excusing Kai and I to tend to other guests. The evening went on as planned afterwards – we were mingling with renowned capitalists, up to the ones we needed to be on good terms with.

            The night soon closed to an end – the evening coordinators had arranged things so that there was enough time for the event in which both Kai and I dreaded. The proposal. It was tucked in between the toasts – Kai and I got the honor to toast to my father last.

            Chanyeol toasted to my father first, getting the audience hyped up with his lame jokes. Kai and I were to follow next, wrapping up the birthday party.

            Hand in hand, we talked towards the center of the stage. The moment had come. Kai neared his mouth near the microphone, angling his face towards my father. “Uncle Park, I wish you a happy birthday. From when I was little till now, you watched over me like your second son. I want to take this time to thank you for your presence here. Without you here, I don’t think I would be capable of meeting Hana – your lovely daughter.” At this, Kai flashed a smile towards me. I returned the equally warm smile. Albeit I knew Kai was simply acting and putting on a good show for all, something within me stirred.

            “So with everyone’s attention, I would like to take this time to toast your well-being.” Kai raised his champagne glass, and on cue, everybody in the audience raised their cup as well. After taking a short sip, Kai spoke again. His grip on my hand tightened – he was just as nervous as I was. “Uncle Park, I would like to take this time to ask for your daughter’s hand in marriage.” Kai dropped the bomb. Collected gasps reverberated around the room. All eyes didn’t know where to look – on Kai or on my father.

            It was only when my father gave a short nod did everyone begin cheering, “Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!”

            Kai then chuckled before getting down on one knee – this was not going according to the plan, as far as I remembered. Perhaps both our fathers gave additional details to Kai. Nonetheless, I was shocked. He pulled out a navy velvet blue box, opening it up. The lighting hit the diamonds in all the right angles. “Hana Park, will you marry me?”

            This was not I had originally pictured this – I would agree to his proposal, because it was for business. Not because I loved him. Because it was for business. I didn't picture my happily ever ending to be this way.

            I nodded. “Yes I will.”

****

            The bold headlines appeared on the screen: BREAKING NEWS. Krystal turned up the volume a tad bit louder as she intently watched the news. Kim Jong In proposal to Hana Park, the words read. Krystal gasped as she registered the fragment into her brain.

            “Earlier this evening, at Park Jonghyun’s birthday gala, as Kim Jong In toasted to his well-being, he requested for Hana Park’s hand in marriage. A second later, the malls’ owner gave his consent with a terse nod. There are no further details on the marriage date, but according to inside sources, the wedding should be scheduled for next month. Congratulations to the newly engaged couple and best wishes to the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter