Chapter 13

Artificial Affection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The ride home was deadly silent. Kai refused to turn on the music, so we were stuck in this everlasting lull. Staring out the window, I recalled the dance I shared with the stranger. My lips curved upwards, remembering his name. Oh Sehun. At my lowest peak, I met a stranger who changed my life for just three minutes. He was there for me when others weren’t. And that meant a lot to me.

            After the party, we exchanged numbers, promising that we would keep in touch. I didn’t meet up with Kai until later on, because I assumed he was occupied with Krystal. I didn't want to interrupt their little reunion, later resulting in being the third-wheeler. That's just awkward. But underneath the layers of muscles of my heart, buried deep inside was uncertainity and suspicion. Recalling the female’s face, my fingernails dug into the palm of my hand, leaving behind etched half crescents. Something was definitely fishy about her, but I couldn’t place my finger on what.

            Kai’s voice pulled me out of my thoughts. “Where did you go during the last song?”

            “Outside.” A terse reply was all that was required. It was better if Kai didn’t dig his nose into my business, so I didn’t spare any details. He pressed on the accelerator pedal harder, causing us to propel forward at an amazing and impossible speed.

            “Why?” The way he said that came off as disbelief. As expected. Kai didn’t believe me.

            “Because I wanted to.”

            “Why didn’t you just stay inside? Wasn’t it chilly outdoors?”

            “Since when did you become my parent? I’m twenty-four, for your information. I think I’m responsible enough to take care enough of myself.”

            “If you get sick, I’ll say that I told you so.”

            Something inside me snapped. “Don’t you have better things to worry about? Like your girlfriend, Krystal. Don’t waste your time on me, Kai.” My harsh words came as a surprise to Kai; he couldn’t respond to that.

            After a long term of stillness, Kai mumbled, “She isn’t my girlfriend.”

            “Look, I don’t care if she’s your girlfriend or not. Just admit it, alright?!” Why couldn’t Kai just concur that he was dating Krystal and leave me alone? My patience was running low—I was this close to blowing up at him.

            “She isn’t my girlfriend, Hana,” Kai firmly said. I briefly peeked at Kai’s face to confirm he wasn’t lying. From his side profile, he looked as serious as ever. Believe or don’t believe.

            “Whatever.” Kai’s car stopped in front of a familiar brass gate. I unbuckled my seat belt and slipped out of the car. I then proceeded to leave without saying goodbye. I heard a husky “good night” call after me, but I didn’t look back once.  

            Why am I getting so worked up over this?

****

            Kai effortlessly parked his car into the compact space. Kris’s and Xiumin’s car were shipped over from China just this morning, so with two extra automobiles in the garage, Kai barely had any room for his own. Still, he managed to fit into the garage with much ease. He loosened his tie as he entered his kitchen from the back door.

            To his surprise, Luhan and Yixing were calmly spooning ice cream into their mouths. They seemed to be engaged in a deep conversation, speaking their native tongue. Kai of course, did not understand a word they were saying. He was about to slip past them as stealthily as possible, but the pair of friends soon tore their eyes away from each other when they heard Kai oh-so-very-quietly crept by.

            “Kai, I see that you’re back.” Luhan his lips f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter