Chapter 18

Artificial Affection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

His beady black eyes drilled into the back of my head. Silence fell overhead, masking our true inner feelings. I don’t know how I managed to see Kai for another consecutive day, but somehow I found myself in his personal dance studio, in his house.

            Back in our younger years, Kai’s dance studio provided the space which our high school did not have. Because all donated funds were put aside to hire new teachers, our school did not bother fixing our facilities. The school’s studio was cramped, barely fitting twenty students. The room's capacity was at it's worst when it came time for the season of entertainment company auditions. Instead of properly using the studio for practice, many students took advantage of the mirror-lined room.

            I vividly remember the time when Kai practically groveled on his knees for a new addition to the mansion. The monthly dance competition that our school held was just around the corner, and because of my foolish peers, Kai could not practice in such a tight environment. It therefore resorted to him begging his father to build a dance studio. Solely dedicated to daddy’s little boy.

            But ironically enough, I would find myself every day after school practicing at Kai’s place. It eventually became my second home—I took naps there, ate there, and occasionally did my homework there. As uncomfortable as my sitting position was, I appeared to focus better in the dance studio. It was all quiet. Somewhere I could organize all my thoughts and put it into action.

            Because of Kai, I had to fake an excuse to why I couldn’t meet up with Sehun. Because of Kai, Sehun and my coffee date was ruined. Because of Kai, I was stuck here, practicing a pointless choreography for my father’s birthday present. It’s all because of Kai…

****

            Because of Kai, Sehun was mercilessly rejected. He knew that Hana had turned him down for his childhood friend; Sehun was eavesdropping. Of course, Kai was prioritized before everybody. It was no shocker to Sehun now. But because of Kai, Sehun had more trouble gaining the money to bail his father out of jail. Had his friend not been dating Hana, everything would be much easier for Sehun.

            But it wasn’t entirely Kai’s fault. His father was one to blame as well, but it was so much easier, dishing out the blame onto one person. One person he grew to hate, to envy. Kai was the person Sehun loathed. He was Mr. Perfect; something Sehun could never be in other people's eyes.

            “The bank is offering $85 million for all five of the hotels,” Lawyer Lee explained.

            “I’m not selling it, Lawyer Lee. They are the outcome of my father’s hard work. If I sell it now, all my father’s work will wash down the drain.”

            “Your father’s career was already over when he got arrested. You’re trying to get him out, not to save his years of working. Those years are gone now, overshadowed by the apprehension. Open your eyes, Sehun. Since you refuse to seek help from your mother, you have no choice but to sell these hotels,” the attorney harshly reminded, “Fifteen million isn’t hard to scrape up, Sehun. Prove to everyone you are worthy enough. Prove to the paparazzi you’re not useless.”

            Hearing those last sentences, Sehun became livid. “I am a grown man. I don’t need my mother.”

            “Are you really? Because right now, I see no progression whatsoever.”

            “Love takes time, Lawyer Lee. Of course, you wouldn’t know that,” Sehun retorted.

****

            The palm of her hand rested on top of the mouse as she dictated the cursor to highlight a few paragraphs on the page. By now, she had expected Kai to cut off all ties with Hana. She was absolutely certain Hana was one of his flings. But after a hour of researching, the relationship Kai shared with Hana turned out to be his longest yet.

            Now she wasn’t too sure if the relationship was just a fling.

            Krystal looked at the baby crib behind her before an impish smile spread across her lips.

            “You’re my secret weapon, Yoo Jin.”

****

            Sehun found his friends lazily lounging in the kitchen after returning from his brief encounter with his family lawyer. The six of them were immersed in a heated discussion, not even sparing Sehun a single glance.

            Curiosity finally hit Sehun like a ton of bricks slapping him square in the face. “What’s going on?” Sehun finally asked.

            “Kai’s girlfriend is here.” Yixing’s terse reply was enough to satisfy Sehun’s interest.

            “Where? I don’t see her.” Sehun’s voice went an octave higher after he realized that Hana had turned him down because of Kai. A bundle of emotions came slamming into his chest. At that moment, Sehun wasn’t sure what he felt. Did he feel angry? Or did he feel envious?

            “They’re in the dance studio,” Kris answered. “Why do you care so much anyway?”

            “Just because.” Without another word exchanged, Sehun solemnly left the kitchen.

****

            The teacher was surprisingly young to be called “professional.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter