Chapter 07

Artificial Affection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When I was little, I dreamed of becoming Peter Pan. I didn’t want his wings—I never dreamed of flying. I dreamed of never growing up. Growing up is a frightening thing. You don’t know that each second, each minute, each hour, each day, each month, each year, you’re growing—mentally and physically. It’s only when you’re graduating from a school, getting married, have a child, do you realize you’re growing older and older.

            With age comes responsibility. And with age, comes death. Along with my Peter Pan fantasy, I imagined that I wouldn’t die alone. I would die with something, or particularly, someone. That someone, was Kim Jong In. Besides Chanyeol, he was the one constantly by my side through thick and thin. With time, came the feelings.

****

            “Look, I’ll drop you guys off at my house for the time being. I need to run a few errands but I’ll be back soon enough.” Kai earnestly tapped his fingertips on the driving wheel, waiting for his friends to pull out their luggage. “If you need anything, call me, but I’ll be back soon.”

            Luhan and Yixing exchanged knowing glances, already registering the fact that the “errand” was related to a girl, no doubt. “Sure, drive safely!” Kris obliviously waved Kai off as he began to make his way towards the front porch. Everyone else though, could clearly see that Kai was worrying about a female, and besides, the newspaper did state that he was dating. Wu Yi Fan was just heedless on several occasions.

****

            “She’s not in right now, Kai.” Chanyeol swirled his coffee mug with his hand, watching the brown color of coffee stain the sides of the cup. “Why do you want to see her, anyway?”

            “…what do you mean she’s not in?” Kai gulped as the older man towered over him.

            “She left to buy her gown for Baekhyun's company's gala. Surely you were informed about this event, after all you are attending it with my sister.” Another thought came across Chanyeol’s mind; he then narrowed his eyes at Kai. “Unless you’re bringing one of your hostesses, which you always do.”

            “No.” Kai sternly replied. “I’m taking your sister.”

            “Then you should be a kind gentleman and company her to purchase her gown. Of course, you’re too caught up with work, isn’t that right?”

            Kai knew better to rage at his friend. Chanyeol was an overprotective brother to begin with, and it would be worse if Kai just added more oil to the already untamable fire. He gulped down his dignity and responded, “I was going to take your sister, but if you haven’t paid attention to the news lately, the rest of our friends are in town. Sehun’s father got arrested.”

            “That, I know. So you prioritized our friends before my sister.” Even though Chanyeol was telling the truth, the bluntness of the sentence still stung Kai’s heart.

            “Look, Chanyeol, I’m no longer—“

            “I never approved of two together to begin with. Now that you two are getting married, I hope Hana comes to realization that she can divorce you sooner than one year.” Chanyeol took another sip out of his cup, wetting his lips in the process. “As a friend of yours Kai, I’ve seen you screw around a plentiful amount of girls. Most of the time, I watch from the sidelines and don’t say anything. But as an older brother of Hana’s, I don’t want her to get harmed because of your silly antics. Clean up any mess you make—I don’t want my sister’s heart to b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter