Chapter 10

Artificial Affection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After barely escaping the mob of reporters, Kai and I headed into the ballroom of the hotel. The Byun’s were thinly scattered about, socializing with different kinds of businessmen. Since Baekhyun was the only child, he was to follow his parents around like a lost puppy. However, once Kai and I stepped into the ballroom, Baekhyun seemed to have sensed that one of his best friends was in the room. His eyes darted throughout the area until his gaze landed on Kai. From a short distance away, it appeared that Baekhyun was excusing himself from the guests so he could attend to us. 

            “Kai, you actually came—I thought you wouldn’t come at all!” Baekhyun clashed fists with the man adjacent to me while I awkwardly stood in between them, feeling like an invader. Sure, I met Baekhyun at several business meetings and when Chanyeol brought him over, but I wasn’t close enough to whip up a conversation with him. As I was mentally brainstorming for a way to escape the two friends’ presence, Baekhyun suddenly pulled me into a stiff-like hug. “Hana, it’s been a while.” I knew he was just being a polite gentleman, but this sudden hug caught me by surprise. I was still contemplating whether or not to return the hug, but Kai saved me from making that decision.

            “Baekhyun, I suggest you watch where you place those hands of yours.” Kai disapprovingly said before grabbing my wrist in order to pull me out of the awkward embrace. Thank goodness for you, Kim Jong In, I mentally thanked him.

            “Alright, bro. Being a little possessive of your girlfriend, I see.” A slight laugh escaped Baekhyun’s lips. He turned to me for another time, “Hana, your brother’s coming, I assume. He’s never the one to miss out on parties.”

            I didn’t know if there was a second meaning to Baekhyun’s sentence, but by the way he said it, it seemed so. Shrugging, I brushed the insignificant thought aside. “He and my father are both attending—they find it impolite to turn down such a distinguished event. Congratulations on twenty years, by the way.”

            “Thank you, it’s a pleasure to meet you again Hana. After four years of not seeing you, it seems as if the United States matured you greatly. Anyway, I would love to chit chat with you two more, but I’m afraid my parents are calling for me again.” Baekhyun flashed both Kai and I a warm smile before stalking away. I mirrored his smile until I heard Kai whisper, “Next time, don’t let a boy touch you like that.”

            “Like what?” I stubbornly said, pretending to be as oblivious as ever. 

            From beside me, I felt Kai fidget in his position. “You know, what Baekhyun just did to you.”

            “What are you trying to say here, Kim Jong In? I can’t talk to anyone? Is that what you’re implying?” I asked, stifling a small smirk.

            “You’re impossible, Hana Park.” Kai sighed before saying, “I’m going to head over to the men’s restroom. Wait here for me, alright?”

            “Do what you please, but I’m not your puppy either. If you don’t see me here, don’t say I didn’t warn you beforehand.” My eyes briefly scanned the crowd, trying to look for any familiar faces. Unfortunately, there were none besides Baekhyun. Of course, he was definitely out of the question. Though I acting all tough in front of Kai, in all honesty, I wasn’t. I loathed mixing with strangers. I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter