Chapter 04

Artificial Affection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Every sip he took, he felt number. But this was what he coveted for—numbness. Kai was used to being pushed around, but there’s only so much he could take in without his outer surface cracking. Thus, he had resorted to alcohol. In Kai’s eyes, alcohol fixed everything. At least for a period of time which Kai used to re-build his barricade.

            “Young Master, your father is leaving for Canada. Would you like to send him off?” A maid’s soft voice was heard from behind the thick wooden door. Kai grunted in response, pouring himself another shot of Vodka. After a few more minutes of waiting, Kai could hear the maid’s footsteps shuffle away.

****

            “I want you to go to the Kim’s residence tonight.” My father stared at his computer screen, and the occasional click from his computer mouse bounced off the walls of the spacious room. Taking a quick peek from behind, I discovered my father was making his daily checkups on the stock market.

            “Abeoji, what’s your reasoning?” I decided to explain my sentence more thoroughly. “Do you honestly trust the Casanova of the East enough to leave your daughter alone with him?” The opposite person tapped his keyboard before observing my facial expression from behind his thick glass spectacles.

            “Jong In won’t do anything to you—I’ll assure you that fact. There’s maids and butlers wandering through his estate, and there’s only so much he can do. Besides, he’s not interested in you, Hana.” I made no effort to reply, so my father then continued. “I just want you to notify Jong In about the Byuns’ twentieth anniversary of their company. It will be happening a few days from now, and both of you will be going together.”

            “Do I have to go?” I stubbornly asked. “And why can’t Uncle Kim tell Kai about this. He’s his son after all.”

            “Jong Up is flying to Canada tonight and he hasn’t packed yet. I don’t think he has the time to tell his son, alright. I already told Jong Up that you’ll be telling Jong In instead.”

            “Abeoji, have you even considered my feelings in this marriage?”

            “I’m doing this for the sake of you, Hana.”

            “No you aren’t.” Three terse words slipped from my mouth and with that said, I stormed out of my father’s office. It wasn’t fair how Chanyeol could have it all easy. It just wasn’t fair.  

****

            “Young Master is not responding. Master Kim, would you like me to check up on him? I am more than willing to do so.” The maid who had previously knocked on Kai’s door formally bowed to Mr. Kim who was lounging on a sofa in the foyer.

            Mr. Kim shook his head. “No, it’s alright. I’ll be back in a few days anyway. But please remind Jong In that the Byun’s company anniversary party will be taking place in a few days.”

            The maid mentally took note of the given orders, tucking it to the front of her memory box. “Is there anything else, Master Kim?”

            “Notify Jong In that Hana will be coming over tonight.”

            The maid curtly nodded. “Should I wake him up?”

            “No, I’m sure after drinking five shots of Vodka he’ll be out. He’ll need the rest. Hana will wake him up when she arrives. But do leave some food for the two of them. I wouldn’t want Jong In to fall asleep tonight with an empty stomach, neither do I want my future daughter-in-law to leave the estate without eating—that’s just not polite.”

            “As you wish, Maste

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter