Chapter 21

Artificial Affection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

His footsteps thundered down the empty corridor as he clung onto the wall for support. Familiarizing himself with his surroundings, Kai paused in the midst of jogging. From where he stood, he could hear Krystal chatting with who Kai had assumed was the doctor.

            “Jinki, just pretend she’s mine.”

            “Krystal, I can’t do that –“

            “If you can’t do it for me, then do it for my sister.” The physician eventually nodded his head, slowly caving into Krystal’s words. Silence settled thereafter. The two made no attempt to start another conversation. Glimpsing away from Krystal’s intense stare, Jinki’s eyes fell on Kai’s figure.

            “Hi, how can I help you?” Jinki advanced towards Kai before motioning for him to step out of from behind the wall. Krystal gradually whipped her head back, recognizing Kai’s face.

            “Kai, you’re here.” Krystal’s face brightened as she began approaching him. Kai rudely ignored her as he focused his attention towards the doctor.

            “Doctor,” Kai fixed his gaze on Jinki’s nametag before addressing him properly, “Doctor Lee, how is Yoo Jin doing?”

            “Yoo Jin has a high fever, but with the proper treatment she’s getting, she’ll be good to go in no time. All we need is for her to rest,” Jinki smiled warmly, “I’m assuming you’re Yoo Jin’s father?”

            Shifting uncomfortably, Kai rubbed the back of his neck before answering. “Yeah. I’m her father.” The corner of Krystal’s lip raised, curling into an amused smile. This went unnoticed by Kai who was too anxious to even care.

            “Rest assured that your daughter is fine. Just be more cautious next time.”

            “I understand,” Kai bowed his head as Jinki excused himself to check on other patients. That left Kai and Krystal to themselves. Trying to whip up a conversation, Krystal smiled in relief. “You actually came. I thought you wouldn’t.”

            “Yoo Jin is my daughter – I have to take responsibility.”

            “It’d be even better if you spent more time with us,” Krystal commented.

            “I’m not breaking up with Hana, if that’s what you’re trying to imply.”

            “Yoo Jin won’t be happy to find out if her –“

            “Are you speaking for your daughter, or yourself? Because it seems to me that you’re talking in your own perspective. And honestly, I really don’t give a damn about your opinion,” Kai coolly interjected.

            “I’m speaking for the both of us,” Krystal cleared , obviously offended.

            “I’m not breaking up with Hana just for Yoo Jin,” Kai firmly stated, “Yoo Jin will just have to accept the fact that you and I can never be together.”

            Krystal’s grip on her purse tightened. Her jaw clenched in fury. “Hana Park broke your f.ucking heart. I can’t believe you got back together with her. You’re so desperate, Kim Jong In.” Insults spewed out of at a mile per second.

            “I’m desperate? Says the one who’s trying to force me to dump Hana.” Kai stuffed his hands into his pockets. “I’ll come back later to visit Yoo Jin. I have to return to work. There is unfinished business that needs to be taken care of.” With that said, he trudged away from Krystal.

            Watching his retreating back change into a tiny dot, Krystal angrily kicked her foot against the wall. “Hana this, Hana that. Kim Jong In – you will regret what you said today.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter