Chapter 06

Artificial Affection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            “Oh Chin Ho has been arrested last night at approximately 11:30 PM. Authorities say the well-known typhoon has been under the government’s surveillance for the past month because of suspicious actions of Oh. There were previous sightings of the businessman exiting shady clubs, but nothing was confirmed at that point of time. But now, it has been confirmed that the businessman has been dealing with the underground gangsters. Additionally, he cheated his customers’ money. When they had originally thought they were donating to African children to help fight diseases, instead, the money gained went straight to the capitalist’s banking account. The first hearing of his case will be taking place next Monday.”

****

            Kai flicked off the television with a slight press of the red button on the corner of the remote control. He knew Mr. Oh fairly well, given the fact that Kai knew his son. But the main question was, why did he choose to go down this dark path? Money was definitely not the issue—the Oh family owned a chain of hotels spread across Korea. Was it for more attention? If that were the case, they could have raised a fundraiser or get their son to marry someone. It wasn’t hard to gain awareness, especially in the business industry.

          A familiar chime of bells began to sound from nearby. “Dear boy, you’re my angel. Let me show you a better day,” Yookyung—former A Pink member—‘s narration was soon heard after a ten second instrumental intro. Flustered, Kai dug through the mountain of pillows contiguous to him. Before her English ceased to an end, Kai hurriedly answered his phone. He grunted a greeting to the opposing line. 

            “Kai, we’re at the airport right now. We’ll be in Korea six hours from now.”

            Adjusting his smart phone to a more convenient position, Kai pressed the speaker closer to his ear. “So why are you telling me this?”

            A brusque reply answered Kai’s question. “We need you to pick us up, if that isn’t obvious enough.”

            “Kris,” Kai huffed, feeling terribly lackadaisical, “can’t you ask Suho hyung instead?”

            “Look, I did, but he has a business meeting to attend. Now stop being such a brat and agree to pick us up.” Kris’s austere response deeply annoyed Kai. If anything Kai loathed the most was being called petty names and pressurized to make decisions. Nevertheless, they were still his friends. Kai respired into the phone, “How does three’ o’clock sound to you?”  

****

            I lingered at the front of the estate, feeling somewhat giddy about being picked up. Dressing rather casual, I stuck with a pair of black leggings with a peplum top and some sandals I had purchased the other day. My brother descended down the steps with his hand resting on the wooden stair railing. His hair was a unruly bush of black as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter