Chapter 11

Artificial Affection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Although Chen and Luhan had reminded Sehun to not take the media’s word into consideration, Sehun couldn’t help but do so. Recalling the harsh sentences targeted at him, Sehun wanted to hide in a corner and cry. But he couldn’t. Yixing wrapped an arm around his friend, pulling him close to his own body.

            “Once tonight wraps to an end, let’s just bury it in the past and move on with the future.”

            Sehun could only muster a fake smile before solemnly nodding, “I’m fine.”

            “You’ll get the $100 million for sure—you can prove to the reporters that you’re better than them. And you are. So don’t let their words get to you, alright?” Xiumin, as the oldest spoke prudent words to cheer the youngest up. But it didn’t even raise Sehun’s mood at all—not even slightly. It only reminded him what his task was for the night. Find Hana Park.

            As the gang of friends entered the ballroom, Sehun’s eyes searched for the petite-looking girl. His eyes darted to the corner of the ballroom where all the food and drinks were tucked. Coincidentally, there she stood. Clad in a champagne golden dress, Hana Park was a natural beauty.

            Sehun didn’t dare tear his eyes away from the goddess-like person who stood several meters away from him. Tao whispered, “Sehun, just let loose tonight. I heard from Kris hyung that the paparazzi is not allowed in the ballroom, so you’re free to roam around.” Half of Sehun was elated to hear this, but the other half of him was reminded of the snide comments made by the reporters.

            Sehun’s eyes hardened. He was going to prove the reporters wrong. How? By courting Hana Park. Even though he knew Kai would stand in the way between him and his target, he wouldn’t let this fact decrease his amount of optimism. He knew Kai from when they were little and saw him mature throughout the years. Kai couldn’t just stick to one girl—he was a Casanova, after all. He proudly lived up to that title.

            Besides, when Oh Sehun set a goal, he was going to do everything to his ability to reach it. He wasn’t going to let his childhood friend overshadow him, just like he had in the past.

****

            Footsteps thundered behind me, causing me to look behind. It was one of the several employees working tonight’s gala. I wondered how much they earned—minimum wage? Certainly not. The Byun’s believed in equality for all, whether it be money or politics. He bowed his head as he solemnly spoke. “Your brother and father are not attending tonight’s gala. They recently called in and told us to notify you.”

            I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. “Do you know why?”

            “Business deals, apparently. If that’s all, Miss Park, I’ll be leaving.”

            “Go ahead.”

****

            I decided to take a breath of fresh air before heading back indoors. I didn’t want to act like a loner—although I was—and besides, I preferred the outdoors more than inside the suffocating building. I couldn’t blame Kai for leaving me behind, after all, it was all an act. I was no longer his priority, and I had yet to register that fact into my brain.

            Leaning my arms on the railing, I stared up at the stars. There weren’t many, and I could only distinguish the Big Dipper in the night sky. Seoul was very much alike to Los Angeles in the United States. They both were polluted by the glittering city skyline. It was such a pity to miss out on the beautiful diamonds in the sky. But I guess it’s a price that city-folks must pay. I’ve only seen a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter