Chapter 33

Artificial Affection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’m leaving for China tomorrow,” Sehun said in a monotone voice. An audible gasp escaped my lips. Sehun had called me in the middle of the night, claiming he had something important to tell me. So this was what it was all about. He was leaving.

            “Tomorrow…?” I asked in disbelief. Was this karma for leaving Kai wordlessly?

            “Yes,” Sehun confirmed, “tomorrow morning.”

            “But you and me – “

            “There was no you and me,” Sehun corrected.

            “But what about that kiss – “

            “Hana, I don’t like you.” Sehun finally exclaimed. “You were merely an object used in my ploy. I wanted money from you, don’t you see?”

            “You…what?” Fury began pulsing through my veins. I wasn’t sure if I heard right. This was Sehun, the man who I fell for, the man who I chose over Kai. This was unbelievable.

            “You practically bathe in money every single night. Besides, it was entertaining to see you and Kai so easily fall apart. Perhaps your relationship with him was fake, just like my feelings for you.” Hearing this broke my heart, but I was quick to mask my expressions. I absorbed his words in before finally feeling the anger take control of my emotions. I slapped him right across the left cheek as hard as I could.

            “You’re a freaking jerk, Oh Sehun.” I shouted. “I hate you – go die in China!” And then I ran.

****

            Sehun stepped into the mansion with a swelling cheek. He had underestimated Hana’s power – she could hit rather hard considering she was just a girl. This conclusion wasn’t being ist at all – it really was true. She probably hit harder than a man.

            It was one’ o’ clock by the time he finished showering. He knew he couldn’t sleep tonight, even though his flight was just seven hours away. He stepped outside into the backyard, hoping to organize his thoughts for one last time.

            Just then, footsteps stopped behind him. He whipped his head back and saw the most unlikely person to be up – Kai. Wordlessly, his childhood friend took a seat beside him on the porch. Awkward air hung around the two – empty and mute gaps filled the space between them.

            Finally, Kai spoke. “I heard from Luhan hyung that you’re leaving tomorrow – I mean – later today.” He automatically corrected himself after realizing that it was already the next day.

            “Yeah. I’m going to China – I’m planning to start afresh there.” Another awkward pause.

            “That’s good,” Kai kicked around a marble with his feet.

            “Oh yeah – tell your dad I’m sorry again. I already apologized, but I don’t think he wants to see my face as of now.” Sehun was suddenly reminded of Kai’s hospitable dad. Although he hadn’t been seeking for forgiveness immediately, Sehun still was thankful towards his dad. He had looked after Sehun as his own son and gave him shelter when he came to Korea. Sehun really appreciated it.

            “I don’t think anybody does.” A trace of bluntness and sarcasm was coated within his words. Kai sighed in exasperation, “Why did you do this, Sehun?”

            “Because of my dad,” Sehun then admitted, “and maybe man pride was involved as well.”

            “Is it just those two thi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter