Chapter 02

Artificial Affection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

            When those words escaped my father’s mouth, I drew back in astonishment. I was almost certain that this was a good April-Fools prank planned out by our parents—but it wasn’t April, and businessmen never joke around. As I was about to open my lips to protest against the outrageous cover-up story, Kai had already beat me to it.

            Kai slammed his fists against the table top, causing it to somewhat vibrate. I was almost afraid that it would collapse at that point in time, but fortunately it didn’t. “No. Are you f.ucking kidding me?”

            “Look, I barely even know him. I don't date strangers, more the less even marry them.” I agreed with Kai, which was a first. We always had arguments about almost everything when we were mere untainted toddlers. 

            “What do you mean you barely know Kai? You three—including Chanyeol—played together all the time when you were little kids. You and Kai even went to high school together.” My father wasn’t really helping out with the situation. I honestly inflicted this upon myself. I shouldn’t have shown my father the plot of land in order to build our new mall complex. How I regret things already too late…

            “That was before I moved to America, Abeoji.” I tried to mask my disappointment with a change in pitch of my voice.

            “You guys used to be the best of friends. I’m sure Jong In and you will catch up easily.” Mr. Kim added his own thought to the conversation. I let out a small snicker, careful not to make it too loud. Best friends my . 

            “Look, I don’t f.ucking care if you adopt another son right this second, but I’m not marrying her.” Kai jeered his thumb in the general direction of me, with a nasty expression plastered onto his face. Though I shared the same thought as Kai, his biting remark hurt me a bit.

            I fiddled with my thumbs before bravely saying, “You’re being inconsiderate of our feelings, Abeoji.”

            “We want our companies to prosper. It’s a faux marriage after all. There will be no strings attached after one year of marriage. After a year has passed, you two will go on your own separate ways and do whatever. By then, our companies will be merged. We will rise to the top of Seoul, and slowly make our way up to the international market. Think about how much we can benefit from this marriage, Jong In and Hana.” Mr. Kim persuaded his son and me—I hated to admit, he was sure the sweet-talker. Everything he said seemingly made a whole lot of sense. It appeared to be so easy, as if with one flick of our fingers everything would disappear in thin air.

            “Hana, let’s be reasonable. I would choose your brother, but Kai’s the only child.” My father then took his own turn to personally persuade me. His eyes were almost shining with mercy. Damn..My father knew my weaknesses, after all, he wasn't my father for nothing. 

            “…I don’t know anymore.” I refused to look back into my father’s eyes, for if I did, I probably would give in just like that. Taking my doubtful sentence as a sentence of approval, my father clapped.

            “Jong In.” With a simple address from Mr. Kim’s mouth, Kai merely shrugged. It was evident that he too, gave up.“As long as she doesn’t get interfere with my business, then do whatever you please.”

            I rolled my eyes in annoyance, “Like I have all the time in the world to do that.” I said this softly so that only Kai could hear, but I didn’t turn my head to see his reaction. Like I really cared, anyway.

            “Great!” Mr. Kim cheered. “Now if you will, we old men will leave and let you guys catch up with things, just a bit,” he patted both Kai and my hands before turning to my father, “Jonghyun, I say we should leave separately. To not create any suspicion, you know.”

            “Of course. Hana, if you need anything, call your brother.”

            “Yes, leave safely Abeoji.” I slightly nodded my head in my father’s direction before bidding both men a farewell. Since the café shop had two entrances, therefore having two exits, both men took different ones. Soon enough, it was just me and Kai. I turned around and saw Kai smirking. Oh what fun.

            “I guess I’ll leave too.” I softly whispered before shouldering my messenger bag. Just as I was walking away, I felt his rough-textured fingers wrap

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter