Chapter 16

Artificial Affection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I fixed my lavender blouse, neatly tucking in the hems of the shirt into my fitting pencil skirt. Slipping on my pair of heels, I was only a few inches shorter than Kai. Speaking of the devil, his hair was already gelled back, but he was currently struggling with his tie. I let out a sigh before assisting him with tying from behind. His hands fell to his side as he stared at me through the mirror. I stepped away after a few seconds, before realizing how much the scene resembled a wife and a husband.

            “I should buy you those zipper ties,” I tried loosening up the tension that hung in the air.  

            “Perhaps you should. Those are less expensive, anyway,” Kai played along with the banter.

            “But does it match to your taste, Mr. I-Want-Everything-Top-Line?”

            “Not really.”

            “I thought so.” I headed over to the bedside where Kai’s laptop rested. “I’m assuming you would like me to take notes on the meeting.”

            “You know me all too well.” Kai buttoned up his blazer before offering out his arm. “Let’s go.” And right after we stepped out of the room, Kai immediately transformed into a serious businessman. Not the child-like dork I always find myself babysitting.

****

            There were several businessmen seated around the long wooden maple table. I wasn’t the only female in there, but as I had assumed, the other women were all acting as secretaries, just like me. Most were Korean, much to my surprise. There were only a few European businessmen, and the rest were Chinese.

            I honestly saw no point in the meeting because everybody was making small talk. Of course, here and there, the males would try striking up deals to gain more lands in other countries. But besides that, it was completely pointless. Groaning inwardly, I cursed Chanyeol. Freaking brother, pulling me into the guilt trap. 

            On the other hand, however, Kai appeared to fit in quite easily with everybody else. Because his English was limited, he conversed mostly with the other Koreans. I overheard Kai introducing me as his girlfriend, to which I politely nodded my head to the other males. Most casually greeted me, not even sparing me another glance. The said men would return to their original conversation, but there was one certain male who did not follow his peers' routine. 

            “I see you’ve broken up with that Jung Princess,” I heard a young man state. My ears perked up, suddenly interested in Kai’s conversation. Jung Princess? 

            “Yeah, that was ages ago.” Kai chuckled nervously. He most definitely knew I was listening in on their conversation. Kai knew me all too well—which had some benefits and disadvantages. This being one of them.

            “But you guys seemed to be faring so well. She seemed like a good girlfriend,” the man continued praising, oblivious to my eavesdropping.

            “She was little too clingy for my taste, Minho. I’m sure you can have her though.”

            “Me? Man, I wish I can. But I assure you, Krystal will never spare me a glance. You’re lucky, Kai to have dated such a fine lady.” I unknowingly gritted my teeth at the mention of Krystal’s name. Kai was lying, or at least he wasn’t telling me the entire truth. What was so great about Krystal Jung, anyway?

            “We only dated for a month, Minho.”  

            “Every single day counts, Kai.” Minho said. “Anyway, have you heard about the Jung’s situation? Man, their family is a complete disaster right now.”

            “What do you mean?”

            “Her step-brother is gay, and her older sister is caught up with an affair.” After hearing this come out of Minho’s mouth, I felt slightly guilty from bad-mouthing Krystal. I hardly knew her, but I had already harbored bitter feelings towards her ever since she stepped between Kai and I. Yet, she held her head high even though her family was expe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter