Work Zone

Fake Engagement

My phone rang as soon as I left in a taxi. I looked the caller. It wasn’t Jung Min, or for a matter of fact any of the members – It was my boss. I actually forgot totally about my work due to recent events.

-          Hello – I picked up maybe a bit to cheerful.

-          Joanne? I know you are busy with your so famous life recently – I couldn’t figure out if he was angry or joking – but I have a website project to do as fast as you can.

-          Ok… What kind of project?

-          One of the popular groups making a comeback after 5 years and they need to re-do their website.

I was wondering what is so popular with comeback’s recently?

-          Sure – I replied – Can you email me all the details? I am actually on the way home.

Then I hang up. Taxi driver was eying me in the mirror.

-          Are we going back Miss?

-          Please – I replied a bit embarrassed.

When I got back to the dorms it was peace and quiet. I made myself a cup of hot coffee and opened my laptop. I was fighting the urge to check all the gossip websites. Did I really wanted to know what people think about me now? Maybe I am already married? Carefully I click on one page. Surprisingly there was no news regarding Jung Min and me and I sighed with happiness. But then something caught my attention. There was a headline: “Another member of SS501 dating?” .

I skipped to the main article. There was not much details just “apparently one of the members was seen with a girl”. There wasn’t even a name of the member in question. Stupid tabloids – I thought. I opened my email to see documents that my boss sent to me regarding another project. Group was called DBSK apparently, not that I ever heard off. There have been a handful of official photo’s, biography, schedule etc. I checked photo’s first and I must say members were rather hot. I couldn’t say handsome, because that was not good enough. I was checking rest of the documents for a while and then draw a plan of website. Now I needed to start coding which involved using my whole brain and keep full attention. Time was passing by and I moved myself only to a toilet or to make another drink. I don’t recall eating anything neither. I loved coding. It was like a beautiful structure behind words and numbers.

When the doors finally opened I was done in about 50%. It wasn’t good enough however as according to email I had only few days to do it.

-          What are you doing still up at 3am?- I heard Young Saeng’s amused voice.

-          Working – was all I said still concentrating.

-          I think you should take a break – I heard and felt light breath on my left ear.

I suddenly recalled events from earlier, when Hyun Joong told me I kissed him. I looked back quickly at Jung Min, who was more than happy. There was that cheeky, arrogant look.He held something in his hand but I didn’t pay much attention. I am not sure why my reaction was the way it was, probably because of work, embarrassment or simply annoyance, I rolled my eyes and hissed:

-          Don’t tell me what to do. You have no right. Leave me alone.

Sentence wasn’t bad in its own. It was the way I said it, with so much venom as at the very beginning. Room suddenly went quiet but I ignored it and came back to work. It was already late and I needed to finish most of the code tonight. I heard when guys went to bed without eating. When I finally finished it was past 5am. I yawed totally exhausted and stood up. It was nice and quiet and quiet around.

I stood up. My tired eyes noticed something on the table in the living room. I don’t even recall anyone putting anything there. I came closer. It was small box, like the one that hold earrings or other jewellery. Should I check it? Underneath was a small peace of paper.

-          I got it today for us Joey . But you don’t have to wear it if you don’t want to.

These  words seemed so cold and sad I suddenly felt bad for my outburst earlier. Maybe I was PMS-ing… I took the box carefully and opened it. There was a beautiful ring in it. Next to it was place for another one, but the ring was gone. Couple rings? – I looked with shock on my face. I hear they are very popular in Korea, but I never thought I will get one. I put it on my finger and looked at it. I smiled to myself. Why was I smiling? I am not even his girlfriend  - I panicked – Why should I wear a couple ring?! I grabbed it and tried to take it but for some reason it just stayed there. It didn’t seem so tight when I was putting it in… After about fifteen minutes of fight I gave up. I was to tired and it was to late for all that stuff. I also was to lazy to go to my room so I crashed on sofa in the living room.

 Not sure how much sleep I got but my eyes fluttered open as soon as I felt something fluffy on my skin. Jung Min was in  a process of putting blanket over my shoulders.

-          I am sorry – he whispered and backed off immediately.

-          What time is it? – I asked looking at leader who for some reason seem to have two different shoes on his feet. – And what’s with the shoes?

-          It’s eight in the morning and what do you mean… - he looked on his feet – How did i?

He started laughing at himself. Young Saeng looked like he didn’t sleep at all which was totally opposite to Kyu Jong. I hear some noises coming near the bathroom.

-          Hurry up or I will kick your back side – Jung Min shouted, bumping his feast in the dorr, now totally unconcerned about me being tired.

-          I don’t think that will help Mal – Hyun Joong answered – now he will be afraid to go out – he chuckled.

Experiencing all that I was wondering how they could be almost thirty? After few minutes doors opened hitting Mr Arrogant straight in the face and Hyung Jun run out to his room shuting door behind him. Jung Min made the most painful sound ever. I came over to him and took his hands off his face.

-          Let me have a look – I was worried about him which made me think I might be bipolar.

-          I will…kill…him… - he muttered.

-          You look fine – I confirmed. There is no even one drop of blood.

-          But it hurts – he whined.

I rolled my eyes and went to the kitchen to make another coffee. Leader, Kyu and Young Saeng were in the kitchen eating some take away that they probably took home this morning.

-          Joey – I hear leader and I looked up on him. – We have a schedule this morning and afternoon.

-          Ok – it was all I managed.

-          It would be good if you take part in the afternoon schedule tough.

I really really didn’t want to show my face to public again. I was afraid a bit, tired and confused.

-          We will pick you up at four. Dress nice but casually, we will visit hospital.

-          Hospital? – I questioned.

-          Yes, you remember that little girl? We wanted to visit the kids – all three faces smiled brightly at me.

That was actually something I wanted to do and was excited for. Surely there will be cameras and press but I didn’t care. I loved kids. I checked rest of the details with Hyun Joong. Just when we finished Hyung Jun run into the kitchen followed by angry Jung Min, hitting him on his head with a something that looked like a ruler. Where did he take ruler from? – was all on my mind.

-          Stop playing – leader said – We going.

Before they left Jung Min looked at my hand and smiled. And then I realized he noticed the ring on my hand. The other one was on his hand and it didn’t seem that bad after all.