Chapter 1 - First Meeting

Fake Engagement

 

It was one of this nice days in Korea when is not to cold and not to warm. I loved days like that. Back in England it was always cold and rainy and I really missed that perfect weather in between.  My job that I taken and few half of the world for was as good as expected and I was getting slowely comfortable. I must say I missed a bit hearing English but with my almost good Korean knowledge it wasn’t bad at all. I still actually couldn’t believe I decided to take this job as a website designer and developer and move to South Korea. I knew I was quite good at it but didn’t expect so many offfers all over the world. Originally I was planning to go to Canada but my friend So-Yun begged me for few weeks to move back with her. She was one of those crazy Korean girls, full of energy and dreams, that never gave up. I met her 6 years ago at Uni, that was before I dropped out. But somehow she stayed with me as we got on so well as sisters. It was her who tought me Korean and now, considering the situation it was a good idea.

It was surprising how great we have been together, even so we didn’t have much in common. You see apart of obvious which was appearance, as I was a typical, average blonde European girl while she was small beauty with big dark eyes and long black hair, we also had a bit different hobbies. You see I knew I was a geek regarding books and computers and I could accept a lot, but I never got her passion for Kpop. Ok I understand  abit since it is music of her country but PoP? Ok maybe not all of those music was bad, but So-Yun had that strange obsession regarding one group SS301, or 601 or whatever. She never grew up of this even so it has been five and a half years and they didn’t even performed together for around three years I think. That was what she said. All I knew really that these”amazing” guys how she called them were on her computer screen, mobile, Ipad and any other imaginable device you can have. I didn’t get it but since she was my best friend I supported her or I tried at least.

That’s why I ended up in this queue that Friday afternoon with her. She was jumping around with massive poster SS501 – ah so that was the name. Yes they have been getting back together. Aparently last member was discharged from military and they started their promotions again. I didn’t know how they supposed to do it since what my friend said, they have been under different managements. I actually realized how much I knew about them. It seemed I knew all random facts but If someone would ask me about names, I would be embarassed.

  • Joey? – she asked me. She called me that name from Dawson’s Creek even so my name was Joanne.
  • Yeah – I put of fake smile on.
  • Thanks for coming with me!!! – she squicked.

I dropped my new assignment just because she wanted to go with me to that fan meeting. I was not to happy, since it meant posibility of spending night at work after.

  • You will love them – she added.

When we finally managed to be pushed by crazy fans into the room it was getting dark. Great, whole day on my feet waiting for five guys just so she can get a signed piece of paper and look at them for one and a half hour from far distance. But hey what you don’t do for friends right?

When the lights got off and the music started I watched my excited friend instead of the stage. I must say song wasn’t to bad and all but I was tired, hungry and needed pee, badly. My best friend screemed even so when I looked towards the stage I didn’t see much. It may have something to do with fact I didn’t have my glasses on actually.

  • Wait here – I whispered giving up finally – I will look for a toilet.
  •  It will be break in a minute – she looked at me.
  • It’s ok, I won’t be long – with this I turned around trying to push between people.

When I finally was out of the tiny space I breathed out. What me a twenty four year old girl doing on a fan meeting? But then I didn’t have much time as my body was beginning me to do something like right now. I looked around passed I believe security who was very lazy since he didn’t even bother to check who I was and I went towards some long hall. There was no toilet around. I passed another door and another. There were screems coming of the what a believed was main room but I ignored it. I went faster and faster. I was so annoyed at this point and angry. I quickly pass the corner and turned right just to bamped into somethingand fall down on the ground. I didn’t expect wall there, did I? My bum was hurting and I colapse on my left hand that now was in a big pain. But then something unexpected happened and wall started talking perfect Korean. I looked up.

  • Maybe she doesn’t speak Korean, she look rather American – tall, quite handome boy said.
  • I do – I snapped angry.

I looked at my favorite shirt that I got as a gift from So-Yun. There was a big whole in the place where I hit the ground. Not sure how I managed to ruined my shirt I got even more frustrated. Who the hell were this guys.

  • I am sorry for pushing you – said tall guy with reddish brown hair. He had big smile plastered on his face and he winked at me. Then offered his hand.
  • You almost killed our fan –another guy slapped back of his had.

I scanned all of them. What fan? It was five of them. Two in the back one taller one shorter were staying quite with something that looked like concern in his eyes. I had a bad day seriously. I was still hungry, still desperate to go to ladies, I ripped my shirt and managed to bumpoed into some cocky guys.

  • I am nto your fan – I snapped.  – Who are you anyway? – I asked angriliy pushing guys hand away and getting up.
  • You don’t know, of course you do – he smiled again – I am y Charisma.

Was he kidding me or what? That’s even a strange name like for Korean people. What a cocky people coming here.

  • I would love to have conversation with you “ Mr I am so amazing” but I am kind of in hurry – I said then turned around leaving five guys in shock.

I went all the way back then asked no so hardworking security guy where are the toilets and to my surprised he pointed to opposite where he stood. How come I didn’t notice this doors before? I quickly run the returned to the room. “Amazing “group still wasn’t back.

  • Joey?!- shouted my friend – Where the hell did you go?!
  • I got lost then bumped into some idiot with a cocky smile, who tought he can impress me.

Where that bitterness came from? I normally wasn’t so aggressive. I breathed in and out and managed to stay till the end. When it came to authographs I told my friend I will wait for her outside. I would have leave if not the fact it was her who was driving. She agreed and moved to the queue while I pushed outside towards dark night. I have been waiting probably around an hour when she finally came out.

  • I was lucky, I was in first group – she said.

What was lucky of staying there for another hour?

  • I got to shake his hands, can you believe?! And Jung Min oppa was so handsome. He even got me surprise – I rolled my eyes. Seriously?! – I got you an authograph and got two tickets for their concert tomorrow.

Are you kidding me?! I had work to do and I wasn’t at all interested in staying for hours in another queue. But  So Yun had such a big sparkling eyes and I knew I will not be able to say no. This last time. I knew it was important to her, as it was their first concert since they got back together.

  • Fine, I will come –I stated and smiled.

She had that little girls smile on her face now and it make me happy even so I knew I will regret it tomorrow.