Parted Ways and Requited Love

Entangled in
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soo's POV

 

Amber and Krystal hugged each other as they saw the red light on the door turn off. Minutes later, Dr. Shim came out with a big smile on his face, saying that the operation was a success and that Nayeon is going to be just fine.

We did a group hug. Amber and Krystal went with the nurses to the recovery room. Krystal went in first then Amber went inside after her and came out with puffy eyes. I thought it was tears of joy until late that night my cell beeped and I received a message from her to come to her apartment. I frowned as I read, “Please come alone and don't tell anyone”

 

The door was slightly opened, I knocked but there was no answer

“Amber?” I said and let myself in.

The whole apartment was dimly lit, the only light I saw was from the candles in the living room. I heard laughter, must be from the TV.

“Amber?” I repeated, approaching her slowly. I saw a family film playing. Amber was chasing Nayeon in a park, she laughed loudly as Amber caught her, lifted her and spun her around.

 

I saw Amber holding pictures in her hands, what the hell is happening? Why is she so sad? I mean, the operation went well and Nayeon is going to be alright. Questions after questions popped up in my head until I saw a big black bag on the floor.

I looked at her. Jess told me about the deal between Amber, Krystal and Nayeon's biological father. But this?

She didn't mention this.

 

“Oh ” The words slipped out of my mouth as I added the whole thing up. He's making her leave. He must have done something and made Amber promise him.

“You can't...” I told her.

She didn't react, her eyes glued on the screen.

 

Her lips formed a smile as the video changed, showing Nayeon wearing a uniform, twirling around. “She was so happy when she wore it the first time. You see, the skirt was a little bit too long and Krystal had to shorten it. She didn't change to her Pjs that night.”

 

You can feel it in her voice, how much she's hurt.

 

I watched the film with her in silence, it was over after 10 minutes. Amber turned the TV off. She the pictures she had in her hands.

 

“Did you know that she cried the whole night for 5 days when she grew her first tooth? She was 5 months old. And did you know that she said 'Dada' first not 'Mama?”

I smiled at her and said, “She's daddy's little girl”

Amber laughed “She always ran to me and hid behind me when Krystal scolded her. She hates cucumbers just like her mom, but Krystal always told her to try them. She hid them inside her socks once and Krystal found it after weeks”

After a short pause she continued “I watched her grow, Soo. I heard her first word and I watched her first step. I put her to sleep. I read her bedtime stories. I kissed her goodnight everyday”

 

Amber covered her face with her hands, crying bitterly “And someone is taking her away from me. Someone is taking my daughter away from me”

“I'm so sorry” I said, wasn't sure what to do.

I sat with her until her tears dried up. She got up and picked up her bag “Take me to the airport?”

“Where are you going anyway?”

She just smiled “Somewhere far”

“For how long?”

“A year, at least”

 

“Does...” I looked at her and sighed, changing my sentence “She doesn't know, does she?”

Another forced smile came from her and she shook her head.

“No one can buy love, Am”

“And no one can buy time. She might forget me” she said bitterly.

 

We didn't say anything during the ride to the airport.

Amber hugged me before she walked inside “Can I ask you to take care of my family?”

“Of course you can. And you take good care of yourself”

“I will” She turned around to leave “Hey Soo! Jess will come around. Trust me”

“Of course she will. No one can resist me” I grinned and rolled my eyes.

At least that made her laugh.

 

I shouted at her the last time before she disappeared “Am! Even time can't erase everything! We'll wait for you!”

She waved once more before she went in.

The world is unfair, isn't it? How money can influence people's lives?

 

 

I drove back to the hospital and found Krystal sitting on the waiting room, a cup of coffee in her hands, her eyes swollen.

I sat myself next to her, before I said anything, she said, “She's gone, isn't she?”

I lost my words for a second and looked at her.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter