Chapter 15

I Am A Monster!

That hurts! Okay, now he has done it!

“Haera! Are you alright?” Oppa asked.

“Ha, no one can survive a cut that deep! Mwoyah? What is this blue liquid?”

“You can’t hurt me because I am not human!” I said and glared at him.

“Haera! Get your senses right!” I hear oppa shouted. “Don’t do it!”

I didn’t know what was happening. It’s like something was trying to take over me, my senses. I snap back into reality and realized that I have clawed that man’s hand and it’s now bleeding. He looked me in the eyes and all I see from him is horror, terrified and lost.

“Haera!” Oppa shouted my name again.

I turned and saw the girl backed away from us, crouching in a corner near the bushes. I shook my head, trying to gather back my senses. My head hurts.

“Are… Are you alright?” The girl asked and tried to move closer to me.

“Don’t come closer!” I said. “I might hurt you. Just stay where you are!”

“Yeobosseyo? Is this the police? I would like to report a case….” I heard oppa saying through the phone.

“We’ll try to get some help okay? Don’t worry, everything is just fine….” I said and I out.

I don’t know why this is happening. Am I weak or am I strong? Am I normal? Or do I just look like an alien. I really don’t know…

“Haera? Haera?” I can hear ajusshi’s voice.

“Where am I?” I asked.

“At home you silly.” Oppa said.

“Where is that girl? Where is she?” I asked.

“Don’t worry; she’s downstairs having some hot soup. Madam Song is treating her, just rest okay?” Oppa said.

“Is she alright?” I asked.

“Yes, she’s fine, just maybe a little shaken but I think she’ll be fine.” Ajusshi said.

“Ah I see…” I sighed.

“I’ll leave you two alone now okay? Sehun ah, take good care of her.” Ajusshi said and went out.

“Yah Kim Haera!” Oppa said with a stern face.

“Wae?”

“Yah, neo babo ga?” He asked.

“Wae?” I looked at him.

“Why did you launch yourself towards that guy just now? He’s dangerous!” Oppa said.

“I just wanted to save that girl.” I said. “Why are you so angry?”

“Why am I so angry, why, why?” He looked very angry.

“Yah!” He shouted and I jumped.

“What?”

“Don’t you know how much I care for you? Don’t you know how fast did my heart beat when you attacked that man? I was worried Haera yah!” He said and sat down on the bed. His face buried in his hands.

“Oppa…” I looked at him. He’s crying.

That is my first time seeing oppa cried, and it’s all because of me. I have never seen him crying ever since I know him. When we’re having injections in school, everyone was worried and crying, holding their parents’ hands whining about going home. But oppa is the only one that was not afraid.

“Haera, don’t cry.” He would say.

“Oppa, won’t it hurt?” I asked.

“Nope, believe me! I have gotten shots like these in the hospital, you wouldn’t feel anything!” He said and wiped my tears away.

“Where is ajusshi?”

“Dad’s busy at home. Besides, I’m fine with dad not coming.” He said.

“Wae?”

“Well, I don’t know.” He said and suddenly crouches down and whisper to me. “Don’t you think it’s kind of embarrassing to hold your parents hand and cry and whine about not having the injection? Besides, I’m already 10 this year!”

“Oppa, you’re so bad! Anyway, can you hold my hand later when I’m having the injection?” I said, sniffing.

“Aigoo, of course I will.” He said and smiled.

Sehun oppa has always been brave in my eyes, whatever he did, whatever he said, he is always so cool in every way.

“Oppa, mianhae. Jinjja mianhae.” I said hugging his waist and resting my head on his back. I can feel him breathing, feel him sobbing a little, and feel his warmth.

“Haera, look at me.” He turned and held my chin, his face was only a few inches away from mine.

“Promise you’ll never do something like this again. Please.” He said, there’s a sad look in his eyes and that I know that he is worried about me.

“I promise.” I said and hug him tightly.

“Pinky promise?” he said and held out his pinky.

“Oppa!” I giggled. We used to do this too when we were younger.

“Why don’t we go check on that girl just now? I think she is really scared just now.” I said and oppa nodded.

We went downstairs and saw the girl, sitting there, hands trembling, pale, her hand holding a cup of coffee and wore a blank expression on her face. I moved forward towards her and she flinched and moved backwards.

“What are you?” She asked.

I can see why is she scared of me, most of the people who doesn’t know me are scared of me. My appearance is just weird, you can spot me from a mile away.

“Don’t worry, I won’t hurt you.” I said and smiled.

She looked at me, her eyes are terrified.

“She is my cousin, Kim Haera and please don’t be scared of her. She is also human.” Oppa said.

“Hu... human?” She stammered.

“Yes, I am human. I’m just uhh, something went wrong and uhh here I am in this condition.” I said with a cheeky smile.

She blinked.

“What’s your name? I am Haera, and this is Sehun.” I said.

“Jiyeong.” She said and swallowed hard. “Park Jiyeong.”

“Jiyeong, where’s your home?” Oppa asked her.

“I… I… I don’t have a home.” She replied.

“Huh?” Oppa and I looked at each other.

“I just came back from France and found out my house was burnt down a few years ago when I’m still in France. My family is nowhere to be found and I have no news about them.” She replied.

“Oh, I see… So, do you have any relatives here? Or or or anyone you know?” I asked.

“No, most of my relatives are living all around the world. I don’t even know where they are. And no, I know no one here.” She said.

“Aigoo…” Oppa said and scratch his head.

I smiled and pulled oppa away for a while.

“Oppa, why don’t we let her stay here for a while? Maybe until she found someone she knows or get a place to stay in.” I asked.

“This…. It’s not impossible but…”

“Oppa…” I looked at him.

“I’ll asked dad okay? Hold on.” He said and went to the lab.

I looked at her and smiled. I sat down on the chair across the table and start a conversation with her. A few moments later, oppa returned and told us that she can stay here until she found somewhere to live.

“That’s great! But Jiyeong ah, do you have your luggage with you?” I asked.

“I think it’s still somewhere at that park.” She said. “I might have left there.”

“No worries. I’ll go get it for you.” I said and smiled.

She tried to say something but decided not to.

“I’ll go with you.” She said finally.

“No worries, oppa and I’ll go get it for you. You just rest, it must have been a hard day for you.” I said and gave oppa a nudge.

He looked at me and sighed. I can see that oppa doesn’t like her much, or is it just me?