Cold

Five Years Ago

“Hey uhm.. I need to go. My brother is in the police station again.” Eunri grumbled. “Again?” I looked up from my plate of noodles. “Yes. It’s like the third time this year.” She rolled her eyes as she locked her phone. “Send Hyerin back okay?” She told Yongguk. “I will.” Yongguk replied as he stuffed a spoonful of rice into his mouth. “ Bye Eunri.. see you at home? I hope he’s alright.” “He always gets into trouble. Especially when our parents are abroad. Ugh.” She grabbed her bag and waved before heading out of the restaurant.

 

“What did she mean by ‘my brother is in the police station again’?” Yongguk asked out of a sudden. “Oh you know, typical teenage gangster. Wait… he isn’t a teenager anymore.” I looked at my noodles. “ Always getting into trouble aye?” “Yup. At least a phone call from the police every two months or so.” “Woah. That kid is hardcore…” I chuckled. “ He’s not a kid. He’s 20 this year. But he is always the one getting beaten up. Well, he asked for it. Forever provoking others when he knows that he can’t fight them. Idiot.” I sighed. “He’s so problematic. Childish and stubborn too. I wonder if he really is 20. Not to mention annoying.””Annoying?” Yongguk looked up. “ Super. And I’ll just be like no, go away.” Yongguk grinned. “Oooooh. You still got that attitude.” I blinked at him. “What attitude? I’m always like that.” “ That attitude was partly why I fell for you..” He said softly. “So are you going to fall for me again?” I grinned. “ Just kidding, Yongguk.” I laughed. I wouldn’t mind if you did though. He gave me a small smile and stuffed another spoonful of rice into his mouth.

 

 

We walked down the streets of Seoul as the chilly winds of the nights brushed against us. “Ah- ahchoo!” I ribbed and rubbed my nose. “You alright? Cold?” Yongguk looked down worriedly at me as he took of his hoodie. He placed it around my shoulders. “ I’m fine, Yongguk. There’s no need for that.” I said as I took it off. He rolled his eyes, took the hoodie from my hands and placed it back on my shoulders. “Yongguk-“ “Shhh. Noisy.” He placed a finger on his lips. I chuckled. “ Shall we go to the Banpo bridge?  It’s so beautiful there at night.” I looked up to Yongguk, smiling. “ Yeah. I still remember. It’s been awhile since I’ve gone there.:  He replied. “With you…” He added very softly at the end but I managed to pick it up. Ignoring what I heard, I linked arms with him. “Let’s go!”

 

“It’s so beautiful!” I said softly as a gentle wind brushed past my face. I pulled Yongguk’s hoodie tighter around me and looked down at the Han river adoringly.  Áren’t you cold?” I looked up at Yongguk. “N-no… Why/” He replied. “ The wind is pretty chilly and you’re only wearing … that.” I pointed at his outfit. “Why? What’s wrong?” “ A plain v-neck tee and jeans. Are you kidding me?” I started sliding off his hoodie. “N-no!  I’m fine!  Wear the hoodie properly. I don’t want you to fall sick…” “Sure…” I eyed him. “Let’s go?” “Where?” He asked, surprised. “Home. Duh. Unless you want to continue standing out in the cold and become a block of ice.” I smiled and started walking towards the direction of the bus stop.

 

“You’re finally home. I can’t believe I returned home earlier than you!” Eunri said “… Where did you go with Yongguk?” She wiggled her eyebrows. “W-what? So, how’s your brother?” “He’s fine! …Don’t try to avoid the question!” She stared at me. “ We went to the Banpo bridge together…” “So… are you two together again?” “What? No!” “What about the HImchan guy?” “ What Himchan guy?” I stared back at her. “Oh come on. I saw everything that day.” “We only like… talked.” “One of Yongguk’s band members… or maybe your future boyfriend…” She grinned. “Yah!” I glared at her and tried to hit her but she ran off. She stuck out her tongue at me. “Lee Eunri!” I roared and ran after her.