Kim Himchan

Five Years Ago

I woke up to the smell of burnt food. “Great…” I went to wash up and went downstairs to see what happened. “Eunri! Did you burn- Oh…” “Good morning, Hyerin!” Eunri went up to me and whispered “ There was someone knocking on the door this morning. I opened the door and found… him.” “Good morning Hyerin!” Yongguk flashed me his gummy smile. “The pancakes are burnt so…” He scratched his head. “ It’s alright. Sit down, I’ll make breakfast.”

“Mmmm. Still as good as ever.” Yongguk said while wolfing down his plate of bacon, toast and scrambled eggs. “Don’t you uhm… have to work today?” I asked him. “Oh, we have a few days off.” He replied and smiled. “Why are you here?” I shot him another question. “Oh… I… Uhm… I just wanted to-“ “Nevermind. What’s with the kiss on the forehead last night?” I looked at him, demanding an answer. “What? W-what? Yongguk, you- WTH.” Eunri suddenly screamed. “Uh… I don’t know what happened either.. sorry… if I uhm made you upset.”He scratched his head and smiled awkwardly at me. Did I say it made me upset? “ I was just uh… shocked. And confused. Yeah.” I looked at the clock standing on the tv console, beside photo of… Yongguk an I 5 years ago. My gaze instantly shifted to the photo.

Flashback

“So… you agree?”He asked. “Of course. You don’t want me to?” “No! No no no! “ He wrapped his arms tightly around me. “I can finally call you mine…” He whispered into my ear. “Let’s take a picture! I want to remember this day.” I whipped out my camera and snapped a picture of both of us. “ My face looks weird.” Yongguk complained. “ Mine looks good. So it’s alright.” He pouted. “I still love you okay. It’s cute.” He smiled and pecked me on my right cheek. “I love you too, Hyerin.”

End of flashback

“Hello? Earth to Hyerin.” Eunri waved her hand in front of my face. I snapped out of my daze. “What were you thinking about?” “Hmm? Nothing. Look at the time. We better get going.” I picked up my bag and walked out of the house.

“Hey! Slow down!” Yongguk shouted for me. “What? Are you going to work with us?’ I questioned. He nodded. “We are taking the subway.” Eunri said. “Subway? .” “ I suggest you go back to your dorm and have a good rest.” I replied. Why do you want to follow us anyway? Yongguk pondered for awhile. “ I’ll see you there, in you café. See you.” He waved and walked off. “ What did he mean by that?” Eunri asked. “I shrugged. “ It’s almost 9am. Let’s get going.”

 

I unlocked the doors of the café and immediately threw my apron on. The customers will be coming in any moment now. Eunri started to prepare while I set the tables. Then, I heard footsteps. “Welco- Yongguk?” Eunri said, surprised. “Told you I’ll be here.” He grinned. I pulled Yongguk out.

“What is this all about?” I asked sternly. “What is what?” “Come on Yongguk. Don’t act all dumb. You know what I’m talking about.” I folded my arms. He looked into my eyes. “ Hyerin, I just want to… spend time with you.” “Look, if you’re trying to make it up to me for that past 5 years, don’t.”I stared at him, eyes as cold and hard as steel. A tiny bit of sorrow and hurt flickered across his eyes. “I- I’m sorry… If you don’t like it then… I’ll leave.” He walked away with heavy footsteps. I looked down and bit my bottom lip. Was I too harsh? “Yongguk…” I looked up and called for him but… he was gone.

I returned to the café, feeling a little uneasy and guilty. “Where’s Yongguk?” Eunri asked, wiping her hands with a table cloth. “… Gone.” I mumbled. “Uhm… you alright?” I tried to brighten up. “Why wouldn’t I be?” I tried to laugh but it came out a little cold and trailed off quickly. “You sure?” “Yeah…” Dinggg.”Welcome!” Eunri greeted the customer cheerfully and I went over to the counter and sat on a stool.

I was too harsh. Wasn’t i?  Oh God… What have I done?  Why am I always letting my anger and sorrow take control of my actions and words? Why am I still so stubborn? I sighed and slouched. “Hey, you alright?” I looked up. “Yeah… Thanks for the concern. Uh… Do want any beverage?” I stoop up. “Americano please.” He smiled. “Please have a sit. I’ll bring it to you later.” I smiled back. He is a member of b.a.p right? I glanced at him. Kim Himchan. Face of the group. I looked at the clock. 11am. No wonder he came at this timing when business is slow.

I brought his cup of Americano up to him. “Hey uhm… Mr Kim, did Yongguk ask you to come?”  He took a sip and looked up at me. “No. Why?” He looked genuinely surprised. “You know Yongguk?” “Uhm yeah… I’m Park Hyerin.” “Park Hyerin… Park Hyerin… Oh! Yongguk’s girlfriend?” Yongguk’s girlfriend. Those words struck me, hard. I shook my head slowly. “Not anymore.” “…Why?  He always talks about you.” “Always?” “Well, for the first year of us training together.” Thanks for being honest. My heart literally died. “First year only huh?” I whispered. “ Well, it’s a long story Mr Kim.” “It’s alright of you don’t want to tell. And you can just call me Himchan.” He smiled.

“Bye! Come again!” He waved to Himchan. “Bye!” He waved back and walked off.

 

 

Did you guys realise that both flasbacks ended with "I love you too, Hyerin?" Kekeke. It was pure coincidence. And i won't be updating frequently because my exams are coming ><  Please be patient and continue supporting! ^^ Thanks~