Chapter 6

Miss No Label

 

Miss No Label

   C H A P T E R   S I X   

 



POV:

 

 

 

         My Friday schedule was fully packed, so by the lunch break's time, I would always be starving. Good thing Krystal cooks delicious breakfast for the both of us every morning. If not, I would have had ulcer in just the first two weeks of classes. Being a Business Administration student was not a goody-goody major in the university. I have somehow understood what my father meant by the nature of business. 

 

         "It does not start in having your first job. It starts in studying the very core of it. Business is a continuous pact for learning." He told me before I left China. My father and I seldom had a peaceful conversation. That was one of the few times.

 

         The bell finally rang, and I immediately stood up from my seat and speed my way through the long corridors to the cafeteria. I looked for Krystal since she promised to treat me an orange juice for losing the pillow fight we had last night. I smile and nearly forgot how I was starving when I remembered last night. She was not easy to beat. I wondered how a lady like her, with thin arms and frail-looking features, could be so strong.

 

         The cafeteria was annoyingly noisy and full of people. It took me a while to find where she was. I did not like what I saw. There she was, at the very corner of the cafeteria as usual. She was laughing while talking with a guy I never saw before. I did not like seeing her laughing so hard with some guy. Everyone in school knew Krystal stays with me. Didn't that guy know that? I did not know why, but I felt like a sense of keeping my ownership. I understood that Krystal was not a possession I had to keep for myself, but a part of me told me I had to keep her as mine.

 

         My arrogance did not allow me to just stand still and watch Krystal laugh with moon-shaped eyes with someone besides me. I found myself heading towards them, taking some effort to look casual and blank.

 

         "Krystal." I called.

 

         They both looked at me. I eyed the man in front of her, obviously making him feel quite awkward. "Oh. Hi, Lay."

 

         "You finished with lunch?" I asked her.

 

         "No." She shook her head. "I just had an apple. I was waiting for you. I know you'd be grumpy if I didn't."

 

         I scoffed. 

 

         "By the way, Lay. This is Baekhyun-oppa. He's my classmate in Literature class. He also majors in Business Administration just like you." Krystal introduced. "And oppa, this is Lay, my...." She paused. Seriously, Krystal, who am I to you? I looked forward for what she was about to say. "... my friend."

 

         I cleared my throat, as I felt disappointed of her. "You're majoring in Business Administration as well? Weird. I haven't seen you before."

 

        "We're actually having three classes together. I am always seated at the very back, that's why." He said.

 

         I just shrugged, then turned to Krystal. "I'm starving."

 

         "Aigoo." She teased. "Let's feed your deprived pets in your stomach then." She joked and laughed. I eyed Baekhyun and saw him smiling. When he saw me look at him, he ceased. I bet he knows by then that I am not someone anybofdy can mess up with.

 

         "Cut it off." I told Krystal.

 

         "Oops." She remarked. "Bad mood?"

 

         "Excuse me, but I have to leave now. I still have to go to the library." Baekhyun said. Good. I thought.

 

      

         "Hot head, Lay?" Krystal asked as we started eating.

 

         I shrugged. "Just hungry."

 

         "You're Friday schedule really is torture." She nodded.

 

         "Are you friends with that Baekhyun?" I questioned.

 

         She nodded as she took a sip of her soda.

 

         "And do you really have to call him oppa?" I questioned again.

 

         She nodded again. "He's older than I am."

 

         "Then why aren't you calling me oppa?" I raised an eyebrow. "I am older than you."

 

        "Ey? You want me to call you Lay-oppa?" She asked, almost like it was unbelievable.

 

         "Why not?"

 

         "Come on, Lay. What is this about?" 

 

         I crossed my eyebrows. "What are you talking about, Krystal? I was just asking."

 

         "Really?" She smiled teasingly. "By any chance, are you..." She inched closer to me. "Jealous?"

 

         I almost choked on my food. "What? Jealous?" I scoffed, trying to look tough and not guilty. In reality, I was asking the same jealousy question to myself too. "That's not my thing."

 

         "Oh." Krystal uttered. "Good. Because you know what, I think Baekhyun oppa is really nice. And sweet. He even helped me with my literature papers without anything in return." 

 

         I scoffed in disbelief. Krystal was praising that weird guy in front of me. I chose to stay silent though.

 

 

         That night, I noticed that Krystal was more silent than usual. She was seated in a curled up position on the sofa, obviously thinking deeply about something. "Krystal." I called a lot of times, but she did not move a limb.

 

         I sat beside her, making her flinch. "Oh, Lay." She uttered.

 

         "Something bothering you?" I asked.

 

         She shook her head. "No."

 

         "Then why are you silent?" 

 

         "I miss home." She replied as she reached out for my hand and played with my fingers.

 

         "Isn't this home?" I asked.

 

         "I mean, my mom and Yoogeun." She continued playing with my fingers and not looking at me in the eye. I knew, however, that she was just holding in her tears.

 

         "Just them? How about your father?" I asked again.

 

         She sighed deeply. "I don't know. I don't even remember his face anymore."

 

         "Since you miss home, why don't you go visit them tomorrow? It's Saturday anyway."

 

         She shook her head. "If I do, I'll just miss them even more once I leave them again."

 

         I intertwined my fingers with hers and held it tight, hoping it could give her some sense of comfort. "Don't worry. They'll be fine. I'm sure they miss you as much as you do, but they're fine."

 

        She nodded. This time, she was crying. "I know. You know what, Yoogeun is just 6 years old but he's really awesome. He called me a while ago, asking me if I was eating my meals well. He even told me to drink milk before I sleep, just like he does. I really miss them, Lay. How about you? Don't you miss your family?" She pointed at the photon on my wall.

 

         "I do." I replied. "But I'm happy here in Korea."

 

         "Really? That's good."

 

         "Because I'm with you."

 

         She laughed. "That's sweet." She remarked. "Are you normally that sweet to girls, huh?"

 

         I shook my head. "Only to you. Why? You want me to be sweet to them?"

 

         "No." She replied, making me glad. "But don't be too sweet, Lay. If you do, I'll start thinking of a label for us. You don't like that, do you?"

 

         Her words shocked me. I did not see that coming. "Are you confessing to me or something, Krystal?" I raised an eyebrow.

 

         "Don't get it wrong, Lay." She shook her head.

 

         "I thought you were." I said. "Because if you were, I'd tell you I like you too."

 

         She looked at me unknowingly and bewildered. "What did you say?"

 

         "I don't like labels. You know that." I said firmly. "But isn't it obvious yet? I like you." That was me. I have always been frank.

 

         "Seriously? Me?" 

 

         I cupped her face. "Yes, Krystal. You."

 

         "Is this some joke?"

 

         "No." I replied. "So please don't laugh too much with Baekhyun or some other guy. I don't like seeing that."

 

         Feeling a bit embarrassed, I kissed her forehead and stood up from the seat. "Good night."

 


 

author's note

Thanks to all my subbies. Thanks for your comments.

Sorry if there are typographical errors. I still haven't proofread this.

Isn't LayStal just adorable?

I hope they're close in real life.

Well, who knows?

Anyway, feel free to comment :))