Chapter 36

Miss No Label

 

Miss No Label

   C H A P T E R   T H I R T Y -  S I X   

 



POV:

 

 

 

        Krystal looked breathtaking. As expected of my sister's magic hands, my girl had been turned into an even more beautiful and more enchanting as she was. I wound never forget how she bloomed and shone in the crowd. 

 

        As we pass through the crowding guests in the great hall of our house, I noticed how Krystal tightens her grip on my hand. I myself could not avoid to notice the aggravating stares as we pass through the guests. I imagine how Krystal could have felt. I mean, she's in a foreign country, very unfamiliar with the language. I had to admit though, I was glad she did not understand. She could have just been hurt. I could not bear see my princess hurt.

 

        She spotted Sara, talking to some good old friends. "It's Sara," she tells me. I bet she was glad to have found a familiar face. Her eyes brightened up and her lips formed into a lightened curve. 

 

        I did not  know if seeing Sara was a good thing or not. More so, Krystal was so glad. I simply nodded, hoping my thoughts did not reflect my reaction.

 

        "Sara." Krystal tried calling her attention before I can lead her away. The truth was, a conversation between them was not very ideal as of that moment. I mentally cursed myself as I saw Sara looking at our direction, her eyes focus on Krystal and then on me. Her smile ceased.

 

        I briefly closed my eyes. When I opened them, Sara flashed a weak - entirely weak and almost invisible - smile at Krystal. Definitely expecting for a brighter welcome, Krystal could only blink and stare at her blankly. I watched as Sara took a glass of champagne from the waiter passing by and drank it in one down. I rolled my eyes. She's pregnant, for goodness' sake. I feared the old Sara was back.

 

        "Did she forget about me?" Krystal pouted.

 

        I sensed a lot of questions from here - more questions to come. I hoped I was ready.

 

        "She didn't." I gave her a brief reply to avoid further interrogation. Krystal has always been a curious one and I didn't want her curiosity to kill. Even just the thought of it gives feared me.

 

        I smile at her and tucked a few strands of her hair at the back of her ear. "Follow me. You have to see my mother, so you can give your gift." She stiffened and sighed deeply. I took hold of both of her hands and held it to my chest. "Is my tiger princess nervous?" I tried to chuckle.

 

        She rolled her eyes along with a smile - a smile that I hope I can keep in my mind. "Very nervous."

 

        I brought her hands to my lips and kissed her knuckles. "Right now, you need to bring out the tiger in you." I told her with a wink, fascinated by how the girl in front of me could easily ease any worry I have by just one smile. I never thought I could feel such moment of tranquility in the atmosphere of a place full of pains and worries.

 

        "I just thought I could have bought a better gift." She hung her head low. "See those?" She points at the gifts at a nearby table. "I bet there's gold and gemstones inside."

 

        "Well, in front of me, I see gold and gemstones, too." I said, earning a raised brow from her. "Here." I continued as I placed one of her hands on her chest. "You're a gold and gemstone in one, Krystal. For me, you're the most precious." I inched closer and kissed her forehead. 

 

        A middle-aged lady, who I recognized to be one of my mother's business partners, scoffed and shook her head. I mocked her in my head, making my temper wonder if I have some power to fire her in her job. 

 

        I grabbed Krystal by her waist and led her away from the stabbing glances of judgmental eyes. I caught Sara's eyes again. 

 

        "We have to talk," she mouthed. 

 

        I shook my head, hoping Krystal did not notice. "Later."

 

        Sara rolled her eyes then crossed her brows. I guessed I was right after all - old Sara was back.

 

        "Lay," Krystal paused as we continued looking for my mother. "Can I have one?" She points at the champagne as a waiter stopped in front of us.

 

        I shook my head. Alcohol for Krystal? No. Just no. Is her tolerance even reasonable? I didn't even know.

 

        "Why?" She pouted. I know what she was up to. Aegyo used to work with me, but not at the moment. "Just one."

 

        "I can grab you some juice or soda, but not a champagne."

 

        "I'm not a kid, Lay. And besides, this... al of this... being here and meeting your family, plus seeing how much of a prince you are... this..." She sighed deeply. "This is not something a kid just goes through." She tightneded her grip on my hand. "Just for a teeny tiny bit of courage. Please?"

 

        She got a point. "Only one." I hoarsely reply.

 

        Unexpectedly, she finished  a glass in one gulp. Whoa, she was that nervous? 

 

        "Hey, hey, hey." I tried to stop her, but was too late. All the way down, huh?

 

        She nodded, as if she wanted to shout eureka. "Better."

 

        "Better?" I smirked.

 

        "Teeny tiny bit of courage." She said with a breathy voice. "Let's go look for the birthday celebrant."

 

        It's been a while of searching before we saw my mother. A wrong timing for us, she was busy talking to a number of guests, few I recognized to be bussiness affiliates. 

 

        Krystal took a look at her wrappped gift in hand again. After taking a deep breath, she shook her head. "I think I need another glass."

 

        I laugh. Could she be more adorable? I mean, I know she was so eager to make a good impression to my parents. I wondered what I have done to have found my ideal princess. I did not notice how long I was staring at her with complete admiration and awe. 

 

        She snaps her fingers in front of me. "Zhang Yixing!"

 

        "Oh, sorry. You're just breathtaking, my princess. I can't take my eyes off of you." I kissed her temple. Yet again, I hear another lousy comment from a guest. I tried to ignore, sparing Krystal another thought to worry about.

 

        She blushed and smiled shyly. Oh, I have always loved the way she blushed because of me. "Now is not the time to be touchy, sweety and romantic, Lay. I don't want pairs of unwanted eyes on us." Oh, so she noticed. I'm gald she did not understand Chinese. If she had, she might be disturbed again.

 

        "I don't care about those people, Krystal. They're dull-headed, that's why." I frowned. 

 

        She traced her fingers between my brows, down to the bridge of my nose. "Don't frown. You'd look twice as old if you do."

 

        I eased myself. "My mother seemes to be still a bit busy. Why don't I give you a quick tour just yet?"

 

        She clapped her hands like a little kid. I smiled at the sight. "That would be nice."

 

        I grabbed her hand again and led her out. "Somewhere quiet, you want?" I asked.

 

        She immediately nodded. "Certainly."

 

        "How about my bedroom? Or specifically my bed." I smirked.

 

        She lightly slapped my arm. "No!" 

 

        I can't help but laugh, although I was half-serious with my suggestion. "Just kidding, princess. I'll take you somehwere I'm sure you'll love... somewhere we can be alone."

 

        I brought her to my favorite place at home - the music room. At one corner was an array of guitars - in different colors, sizes and shapes with a majority of acoustics. My father loved acoustics more than electrics - and so did I. On another corner were violins, cellos, a harp which was a favorite of my Angela jiejie and a ukulele which was supposedly Lay's - the real Lay of the Zhangs. I was disturbed by the thought but eventually shook it away, not wanting to ruin any moment alone with Krystal.

 

       I'm the mostt selfish when it came to her. I sincerely hoped we could lock ourselves togther in a room forever. I despise the idea of sharing her with anyone. Yes, my selfishness. Only with her. 

 

        Upon enterring the room, her eyes seemed to just zoom in to the centerpiece - a large and white grand piano which was personalized for my father when on his twentieth birthday. My father treasured it like a total antique piece of treasure. It was one of my favorite - the piano who accompanied me through all smooth and rough notes in my out-of-tune life.

 

       I used to sit there and sing along random thoughts or compose one lyrical piece for every strange emotion I felt. Along the keys were my dried tears as a child and my hard presses as a troubled man. 

 

       "Like that?" I asked Krystal, who was still in awe of the music room. Well, who wouldn't. The walls were in delicately designed gold etches of floral details, with cream backgrounds. The floor was fully carpeted with one that my sister said to be bought from China's best provider of luxurious designs. All the instruments shined as if brand new. I always wondered how difficult the helpers might have spent for such care taking.

 

       "Beautiful." Krystal whispers with a wide smile. I planned to memorize that look of her smile.

 

       "Well, yeah." I shrugged. "But not as beautiful as you are."

 

        Not minding, my supposedly romantic sentiment, Krystal pulled my arm and led me nearer to the piano. "Please?" There went her aegyo again.

 

       "What?" I narrowed my eyes.

 

       "Play that for me. Please." She placed her hand together and flaunted her puppy eyes. Seriously, Krystal? I was not able to help but laugh. 

 

        At a moment, I wonder how much change can a ring do to her hand. I smiled at the thought.

 

       "If I do, you'd just fall in love with me even more." I teased, eyeing her reaction. She rolled her eyes, despite her evident flushing. "I'm really good at this, you know."

 

       "I'm in love with you hard enough, Lay." She sweetly says as she poked my cheek. "Play for me? And sing?"

 

       "Well, if you sit beside me." I took a pat on the space for her to sit. 

 

       She shyly moved towards me. That way, because of the limited space of the piano's seat, we were so close to each other. Skin to skin. I could not suppress a smile that involuntarily formed on my lips.

 

       "How can I say no to my princess' request?" I held her chin so she can look at me. She was blushing again. "Well then, your wish is my command, princess."

 

       She giggled as my hands pressed a random key. More than the music the piano could play, I cannot trade her giggle's sound.

 

        Ever since she moved out to Kang Jiyoung's, I have been working on a song I composed for her. The lyrics were unfinished and not enough for my love for her, but I decided to give it a try. 

 

        As if my heart was dictating me, my hands smoothed on the keys so freely. I myself was surpised of how beautiful of a music my hands have produced. I felt Krystal's eyes focus on me, and I can't help but smile - a genuinely rare but sincere smile.

 

       When it came to the chorus' part, my lips started to part and produced a message my emotions conveyed.

 

        Having your love means everything to me. The last line prompted a sniff from Krystal. I glanced and saw her in tears.

 

       "Hush," I say as I kissed a tear that rolled down her cheek.

 

       "That was beautiful." She said before hugging me tightly. Being in her arms felt like heaven. 

 

       Having your love means everything to me, Krystal.

 

       "I don't want to see you cry. You know that." I whisper in her ear as I caressed her back.

 

       "I'm just happy, Lay." She said, a bit calmer and no longer in tears.

 

       I grabbed her by the shoulders so I can see her eyes. "Angela jiejie will kill me if she knows you cried with your make-up." 

 

       She chuckled - a sound I can live my life with. "I bet she will."

 

       I cupped her face and kissed her forehead. "I love you, Krystal." I said before my  lips move to her eye, then to the tip of her nose, then her cheeks. I paused to look at her.

 

       "I love you too, Lay. And I love Yixing as much." 

 

       I sneak my arms around her waist and puller her closer. "You're the best thing that ever happened to me." My anxiety and worries came rushing in my mind again. 

 

       No, Krystal and I will never be apart. Never.

 

        I looked at her and I hate the way my mind seemed to tell me to memorize her face and cherish her touch while I still can.

 

        One of my hands moved to the back of her neck. Waiting for nothing and letting my feelings lead me, I pressed my lips with hers and savour the moment. "Promise me we'll never be apart." I helplessly and desperately plead in between the kiss. 

 

       For a moment, she looked at me worriedly. After a second or two, however, she nodded. I pecked on her kiss again and expressed another I love you before we shared a more intimate kiss - one that made me feel so relieved for a moment.

 

        Such moments don't last long though. Very unfortunately.

 

       We were ceased by the sound of the music room's door, opening. 

 

       Sara was by the door, holding a bottle of wine - not a glass, a bottle. I was exasperated. I ran my hands through my hair and controlled my anger. She was insane laughing. Her make-up was undone, leaving her with black mashed up colors on her eyes, down her cheeks. We were silent for a while except for her hiccup, her laughter and the clinging of the bottle she was holding as it touched her bracelet as she stood unsteadily.

 

       I tightened my arm on Krystal's waist.

 

       "What's wrong?" Krystal asked me in a soft breathy voice.

 

       Sara, obviously very drunk, heard her query and scoffed loudly before laughing histerically again.

 

       ! I mentally cursed.

 

       Before I can answer, Sara spoke. "What's wrong?" She mimicked Krystal. "Oh, poor one. Don't tell me you don't know what's wrong." Laughing once again, she leaned on the door. I was aching to close the door before she makes a scene, but I did not want to leave my hands off Krystal.

 

        "Sara, please..." I said in Mandarin. "I'll tell her myself. And I'll fix everything. Could you please take hodl of yourself?"

 

       "Let's speak Korean, shall we?" This time, her eyes were darker. "We don't want your little pet to be left behind. In fact, what I'm supposed to say are for her to hear."

 

       Krystal turned to me unknowingly. My thumb on to her side, hoping to assure her of me, but she was too curious. 

 

       I closed my eyes as Krystal did not say anything but locked her questioning eyes on me. 

 

       "Let's go home and I'll tell you." I kissed her temple.

 

       "Oh, what a sweet sight." Sara shakes her head. "But no, Yixing, I cannot let my groom leave that easily. Especially with the unwelcomes third party." 

 

       "Groom?" Krystal mirrored pain and confusion in one reflection.

 

       "Krystal, I..." I was at loss for words.

 

       "Oh, poor Krystal." Sara said after one gulp on the wine's bottle.

 

       "You're drunk, Sara." I tell her in Mandarin before turning to Krystal and see her biting her lip, an indication that she's holding in her tears. ! I don't want to be the reason for her to cry.

 

       "Come to Sara, Krystal. I will tell you what your romantic daddy doesn't tell you. Come!" She stepped an inch forward and extends her hand, as if inviting a kid to join her. 

 

       "Lay, what's this?" Krystal asked impassively.

 

       "Oh, tonight's birthday celebrant might be willing to clarify the whole thing for you, little one." Sara laughs again.

 

       "Let's go home, Krystal." I took her hand. Before I can step out of the door, however, Sara blocked it with his arm.

 

       "No, no, no." She shakes her head. She then runs a finger in Krystal's loose hair. "Do you want to meet Yixing's mother? Oh, she'd be emotional to see you." 

 

       Krystal shivered at Sara's touch. I grabbed Sara's hand. "Don't touch her."

 

       As soon as we were out the door, I was unwelcomed by my mother. She was impassively standing with her arms crossed. 

 

       "You have a visitor, son?" She raised a brow.

 

       This is not good.

 

        Before I could respond, the drunk Sara quickly went to my mother and wrapped an arm around her. "Auntie, Yixing brought a package from Seoul. A ." She said it in Korean, which my mom was also fluent in. I know what Sara was up to. I feel Krystal shiver beside me. I tightened her close to me. 

 

       "Mama, it's not what you think it is. This is the woman I love." 

 

       My mother closed her eyes, obviously angry.

 

       "You're engaged, son. And the engagement, it was planned by you yourself." My mother never got mad at me before. It was unnerving to hear her angry with me.

 

       Krystal was breathing heavily. It pained me more to see her in such situation. All my fault. I was stupid.

 

        Sara butted in again. "That girl even lived with Lay in Seoul, auntie." 

 

       I glared at her. 

 

       Before my mother can speak, Angela jiejie came into scenario.

 

       "Mama!" She silenced Sara as she looked at her with a dagger.

 

        She held my mother by the shoulders, never leaving her eyes on Sara.

 

       "You're lucky you're pregnant, Miss Feng." 

 

       "You're on that 's side, jiejie?" Sara whined.

 

       "If there's a here, that would be you." Angela jiejie threw back.

 

       A heroine, as usual.

 

       "Xing, get Krystal back to the hotel." Of course. "And Ma, please let Xing go this time. I'll tell you his side and he will, but not now."

 

       "Who is that woman?" My mother points at Krystal.

 

       "Xing, go now." Jiejie insists before I can defend Krystal. 

 

       

 

 

 

      "Sorry." I put her into a tight embrace. She did not hug back. She just stood motionless and impassive. "Sara's drunk. She doesn't know what she's saying."

 

       "Lay," she whispered, unable to look at me. "I want to be away from here."

 

       "Yes, of course." I ensured her as I caressed her cheek. "I'll get the car. Can you wait for me here?" 

 

        She nodded. I kissed her on her forehead before leaving.

 

       "If this is Korea, I should be running away now. You're lucky I don't know this place and I don't know anywhere else to stay." She pulled away from my hold.

 

       "Krystal, I..."

 

       She cut me off. "Let's leave this place."

 

       I ran to get the car, but when I came back to where I left her, Krystal was on the floor, sobbing uncontrollably.

 

       I quickly enveloped her in my arms and whispered comfort and apologies in her ear.

 

       In her hand was a navy blue handkerchief with an embroidered letter F on a corner.

 


 

author's note
Not yet reviewd this, so I spologize for the errors.
Don't forget to comment! :) and upvote.