Chapter 30

Miss No Label

 

Miss No Label

   C H A P T E R   T H I R T Y   

 



POV:

 

 

 

        I was extremely bothered by how down Lay looked. I have never seen him in such condition before. He was more silent and aloof, and most of all, it seemed like he was running out of time. I could not comprehend the way he acted, yet I was certain it was not a simple something-caught-up kind of matter as what he told me. There was something more to it - something beyond my grip.

 

       Cutting classes was never in my to-do list and not even in my imagination, yet at that very moment I thought of it as a resort that could dwell not much harm. If that would make Lay feel better somehow, then I was in for the game. 

 

       "Just this once." He told me as he smirked. He usually looked cool with that smirk he had, yet at that moment, it seemed like a blank one - something out of place and should not be there. 

 

        I nodded as I flashed a thumb up. "Okay then. Just this once, Lay." I reminded him.

 

       "You have my word."

 

        "So, where are we going then?" I asked him as we headed to where he parked his car. 

 

       "Home." He replied. "We're having quality time."

 

       "Just to remind you, I actually agreed to cut classes so we can talk about your worries." I pointed out.

 

       "Exactly." He nodded. "Quality time, that is."

 

 

 

       When we reached his place, which used to be our place, I noticed there was not much change except for the scattered clothes and the piled-up unwashed dishes. Judging by how the place looked like, I can tell he had been lazing around. 

 

        I glared at him as I pointed at the mess. "I've been away just for two days, Lay."

 

       He simply shrugged and pulled me closer to him, making us fall into the sofa. He pecked on my forehead before he laid down with his head on my lap. "Ahh, so comfortable." He remarked, closing his eyes.

 

        I traced his face with my fingers, making him open his eyes and smile at me. 

 

       "What happened?" I asked him, starting my interogation.

 

        He closed his eyes again crossed his arms. "My life has always been bothersome - always complicated. It's weird how I never get used to it." He spoke slowly, as if trying to gather strength as he formed the words. "I don't even think I can call it life. I barely lived, come to think of it."

 

        I his hair and observed the way he looked so pained despite his shut eyes. "Whose life? Lay or Yixing?"

 

       "Both." He replied. "Lay and Yixing both had pathetic and lifeless hours to spend."

 

       "How about we bring life to your hours then? I'm positive I can do something about that." I told him, making him open his eyes.

 

       He smiled at me, revealing his deep dimples. Oh, how I loved those dimples. "In fact, you already did. You always have."

 

       "It's an honor, then." I replied, poking his adorable cheek and letting out a chuckle. 

 

        His smile slowly faded away. "I have to go back to China."

 

        My heart pounded on my chest, and my world seemed to shake. Is this the end? I thought. He sat up, leaving the comfortable position he once had, and got both of my hands, holding it close to his chest. "My sister told me it's only going to be for the weekend." He told me.

 

       I was relieved for a moment, yet only to be cut off by the hoarseness of his voice and the sad look in his eyes.

 

       "Good." I told him, hoping to convince myself that everything was fine - that there was no end to face. "You miss them anyway, right?"

 

       "It's mama's birthday. Baba will be holding a party at home." He explained. 

 

       "Really? Have you bought a gift? I can help you find one. We can ask my omma if she..." 

 

       He cut me off by kissing my palms. "It may be too much to ask, so I'm letting you freely decide." He began, looking more serious than usual. "Come with me to China." He said with obvious anticipation for my reply. "Will you?"

 

       "M-me? To China? You're bringing me..." I paused to put the pieces together, thinking I could have comprehended wrongly. "To China?"

 

        He nodded. "When a man brings a woman home, it could only mean one thing." He continued. "Meeting the family."

 

       Lay is introducing me to his parents?! I mentally exclaimed in the very peak of my emotions. I swear I did not know how to feel. Goosebumps dominated my senses and I could not help but get too confused.

 

        I was bitter and not very attached to my father ever since, yet there was one thing that he left with me - something that has been enculcated in my mind even at a young age. My father was not good in philosophies nor any wise sentiments, yet that rare moment marked a sincerity in his face that I have not forgotten. When you grow up, Soojung, and find a man to love, be cautious. As a man, I can tell you one thing. You will know if a man really loves you, not by how many gifts you received, how you called each other, how intimate and affectional he is, but how sincere he is. One thing that can guarantee a man's sincerity is this: when he introduces you to his parents as the girl he loves. When you find that man, then I can wholeheartedly give him my daughter's hand. Those were my father's exact words. They echoed in my ear, sending a hint of memoir in me. For the first time in such a long time, I wished he was there for me to tell him I found the one.

 

       "You're bringing me to your family?" I asked, softer than a whisper.

 

       He nodded as he tightened the hold on my hand and smiled at me. "So, will you?"

 

       I shivered in an unknown sensation as I could not able to hold back a few teardrops. I did not know why they fell nor why I felt such bittersweet emotions, yet I had no time to think about comprehending the whole scenario by myself. 

 

       He cupped my face as he wiped away my tears. "Why are you crying?" He asked.

 

       I shook my head, trying to utter something but my tongue seemed to tie into knots, preventing any comprehensible sound to come out.

 

        Perhaps misunderstanding the tears that were coupled by the shaking of my head, Lay's expression shifted to extreme worry and pulled me closer to him. "You're not coming with me?" 

 

       I chuckled as if I was insane. "It's not that, stupid. I'm just..." I paused for a few times with a sniff. "Confused. And surprised. And nervous." I paused longer to lean on him. "And happy."

 

       For the first time since noon break, Lay smiled genuinely. To a mysterious snap of a second, however, before he could even say something, the smile disappeared and was replaced by an untrue smile. 

 

        "I have told you that my life is complicated, right?" He told me. "I am not an easy man to love. This might be a selfish request, but promise me, Krystal. Promise me you won't give up on us."

 

        Pain. Fear. I saw those worries on his eyes as he spoke to me. It pinched a significant part in my heart, making me want to ease every worry in him. If only I could, I would have been more than willing to do anything.

 

       


 

 

 

author's note
double update today.
i hope you liked this chapter.
anticipate for the next one because there will be even more revelations.
feel free to key in your feedbacks.

SUBSCRIBE. COMMENT. UPVOTE.
Thanks! ^^

 

Follow me on tumblr: linn-loves-xing.tumblr.com (<-- click to do so)