Chapter 27

Miss No Label

 

Miss No Label

   C H A P T E R   T W E N T Y - S E V E N   

 



POV:

 

 

 

        I did not like rainy weathers. In fact, I despise and hated it - it's gloominess, coldness, the sound of its droplets, the patches on streets, everything. As much as possible, I wanted to stay under the roof, tucking myself on thick blankets and nap myself to whatever fantasy I can drown with. I could not do that at that mere night, however. Krystal needed some company, and I had to be the one fulfilling it. I, in turn, needed her company as well. 

 

        We stopped by a park nearby her new home. New home because my place used to be our home. I still felt bitter thinking about it, but it was somehow something I just learned to shrug off as time went by. 

 

       Krystal did not even wait for me to open the car's door for her. Just as I stopped the engine, she bursted out and jumped off like a little kid who went out to play on some Sunday noon. I could not help but smile at the sight of how adorable she looked. Without further ado, I got out of the car as well. The last thing I wanted at the moment was to be a kill-joy and ruin the excitement she evidently felt. 

 

        The cold wind brushed my skin, making me shiver in a goosebump kind of way. It was not the cold temperature nor the strong sway of gas that made me feel such way, but the sentimental association I have conditioned through past circumstances. Instead of the coolness Krystal most probably have felt, all I sensed was the sorrow the wind whispered right into my very ear. The lush green grass turned gray because of the night, yet I was certain that I smelled a sense of ground-stained wetness in the atmosphere. Grief, my mind told me. I glanced at my left, in attempt to hide my disgust-impressioned face, but to my utter surprise, I was haunted, yes, horribly haunted by the sudden sight of a playground. I took deep breaths to supress the memory I once considered as void, hoping it will remain hidden at the very back of my consciousness - almost lost and forgotten. Almost, perhaps, yet certainly not entirely. 

 

       I shifted my gaze back to Krystal and as usual, her presence comforted me in such as way that the lump on my chest seemed to loosen up for some significant degree. Her lips were curved up into genuine gladness with audible chuckles despite her closed eyes. Her hands were stretched out in the air as she uttered a sweet melodious scheme of utterance. "So refreshing." Ironic, I thought, referring to what I felt at that moment. The way she spoke was full of light, yet for me, I was refreshed by a dark long-kept sentiment that pinched an almost unbearable sense in me.

 

       FLASHBACK. My mother looked at me furiously and even at the mere age of five, I was old enough to sense that she was holding in her tears. I was seated on a park bench, while she was kneeling in front of me, wiping off droplets of water that we got after the sudden rain. "Is something wrong, mama?" I asked her as I placed a hand on her cheeks. She shook her head and flashed a weak smile. "Mama is going to buy my little Yixing hot chocolate. Stay here, okay?" I nodded and watched her figure fade in a distance.

 

        I shook off the next part of the memory off my head and balled my hands in a fist, supressing every little detail into emptiness. I was desperate to shrug all the dominating emotions I had. I took a long stare at Krystal, and as if an involunatry motion, I wrapped my arms around her. I rested my head on her shoulder, having no care if I looked weak or cowardly. All I was certain of was my helplessness and need of comfort - of love. I needed to assure myself that I had someone.

 

       I sighed in relief as she wrapper her arms around me as well, giving back the embrace. "You're extra sweet today." She told me.

 

        Just like that, my lips curved into a smile. Not wanting to confide my grieving-like state, I shifted my attention to the whole day's scenario. "It's been a long day for my princess." I whsipered in her ear. "I just thought of giving her a congratulatory hug."

 

       She giggled in sing-song. "Yes, it's been a long day for your princess."

 

       Thinking of how tired she was after her struggle, I her back as being known as the gesture of comfort. "You were about to give up when you first called me. Am I right? I knew since it was obvious just by the way you spoke." I told her. "But I believe you changed your mind. You've always been one big fighter after all."

 

       I can sense satisfaction in her reaction. "Are you proud of me then?" She asked.

 

       "Always." I replied, quick and certain.

 

     We decided to walk along the park, as suggested by her. Being the habitual keeper and supressor of emotions, I bet she never realized how down I was. To be honest, I did not like the idea of staying at the park, especially with the remnance of the rain, but Krystal, I know, was my top priority. I gave her my coat, wrapping it around her, telling her to make sure not to catch a cold. "That friend of yours, Jiyoung, will kill me if you do. Deform my face, prior to murder, to be exact." I told her, earning a sweet-sounding giggle. To cope with my ongoing struggle with the darkness in my chest, I took a tight grip of her hand, as if needing some balance.

 

       We were silent for some time, and I assumed she was enjoying the scenery and atmosphere I despised, so I let the silence keep its course. Right in the middle of some random steps, however, Krystal slowed her pace down and uttered such a soft yet surprising question. "Why me?" She went.

 

        I paused my tracks to look at her. I aimed for her eyes with the agendum of finding a clue for the sudden querry. She avoided my stare, obviously off guard and timid regarding her unexpected voice out.

 

       "What?" I asked, despite being aware of the real nature of her question. I needed to confirm, to be honest. Assumptions could kill for some times.

 

        She cleared her throught to perhaps, gather enough courage - or I bet ran dry. "Why do you love me?"

 

       Still holding a hand of hers, I can feel the growing coldness on it. Nervous princess, I thought. I kept with my usual blank expression - motionless and clueless in agenda. I found her question challenging - extremely challenging - yet also fascinating. I forced my lips still, not wanting to show a smile. 

 

       "Good question." I told her, making her eyebrows raise with my unexpected remark.

 

       "Good good?" She asked, fragmentedly and incomprehensibly. "Or good bad?" My eyebrows met in question. "I mean, uh... well.. yeah... uh... Forget it."

 

       "Forget it?" I repeated her statement, turning it into interrogative. "Should I? Too bad, I actually got an answer."

 

       I watched her expression turn confused and even more embarrassed. Truth be told, I had no answer. I thought of it, lots - by that, I mean really incredibly many - times, but there was no exact answer. Something leads to here, there and somewhere, but no exact answer.

 

       "Come on, Lay." She uttered. "You're teasing, aren't you?"

 

       I shook my head. "No." I replied. "In fact, I'm not in the mood to tease. But if you don't want to hear out the answer, then it's fine with me."

 

       "Okay. Okay." She said, grabbing my arm with her other hand - one that is not held by mine. "Spill the beans."

 

       "Ask me again." I told her. "For formality's sake, princess."

 

       "Why do you love me?" She asked, too soft to even be considered a whisper.

 

       "I cannot respond  to an unaudible question." I pointed out.

 

       "Forget it, Lay." She said, shaking off her hands off me, then stubbornly turned her back and attempted to walk away. Believe me, she was adorable.

 

       I grabbed her by the shoulders to make her face me again. "Okay. Calm down, tiger." I told her, earning shots of daggers from her. I ran my hand through her face to erase the expression and as expected, I was successful to soften her up. "Listen, okay?" 

 

       She nodded like one tame baby tiger.

 

       "I don't know. That's the answer." I said, making her groan in subtle annoyance. "Not yet done." I pointed out, making her stand still once again. "I don't know when I started loving you - or where. I have no idea, believe me."

 

       She resembled the girl I loved first - the one I built a label for. That made me interested with Krystal. From there, I tracked where love came in, but failed to determine the exact instance. Each moment of her flashed before me, and a second or two was enough to flash them back, to my surprise. Throught all those moments, even from the moment I saw her fall down that bus stop, I found - or rather, felt - love. 

 

       "Maybe it's been there all along." I told her.

 

        I looked at her and just as every moment I looked or think of her, I saw one thing - one magical thing. A future. That's what made me sure that it's Krystal - that she's the one.

 

       "But one thing made me certain of love." I said, feeling embarrassed of the bluntness of affection, yet dominated by the gleam in her eyes as she anticipated for my every word. "One thing, Krystal. Only one thing. I knew of love through you because I see my eternity with you." I did not see it coming, believe me. It seemed like my tongue spoke for itself without my consent. 

 

       We both stood motionless, but I felt lightweight. 

 

       I cut the silence off and told her. "You're 19. I'm 21. Can the ring get a bit delayed?" I told her, spreading an involuntary smile on my face.

 

       She covered her face with her palm, yet tears were evident. Did I say something wrong? I grew worried.

 

       "You're a moron, Lay. A moron." She said, giggling despite the tears. Was that what they called as the tears of joy? "I love you, too, even if you're talking about rings and I'm not even your girlfriend." I cannot quite decipher the giggling and the crying.

 

        There went the label again. "Do you want that label?" I asked, despite the hesitance if I was ready for it.

 

       "Not really." She replied as her hands left her face. "It's enough for me that you call me your girlfriend in front of others in introduction." She said, giggling and laughing, making me surprised. She was obviously talking about how I replied to the introduction with that Kris Wu.

 

       "You understood?" I asked.

 

       She nodded. "I'm a genius. Do you even know how hard I tried to supress my euphoric reaction?" She threw her hands around me and wrapped me tightly. 

 

        I was embarrassed - very, very embarrassed.

 

       "And about the ring, Lay." She said. "Postpone it until I'm 30."

 

       I groaned. "And I'd be 33? Krystal..."

 

       "I love you, Lay." She screamed to cut me off. 

 

        Just like that, I forgot about my annoyance and knew that I was loved. Yes, I was loved. A rare assurance for me. But I knew I found it finally. 

 


 

author's note

*hides in a corner
I don't think I did well in this chapter.
I was so disorganized with my thoughts.
Anyway, I hope you got what I wanted to picture out.
I actually revealed a few hints of Yixing's past.

 

Anyway,
SUBSCRIBE. COMMENT. UPVOTE.
I made a one-shot collection featuring LayStal and KrisTal. Check it out, will you?
I still haven't updated a chapter, but I already have a draft on my first one.
Here's the link: ⇒