Chapter 23

Miss No Label

 

Miss No Label

   C H A P T E R   T W E N T Y - T H R E E   

 



POV:

 

 

 

        I unconsciously grinned like a little kid who just found a long lost favorite. I struggled for the right words to utter, but just as what surprised reactions usually result, I thought of none. I could only stand there, in front of him, and grin widely. Rather than feeling awkward, however, it was more of refreshing and happy to see him one again.

 

       "Soojung?" His smile was also evident, and I was glad to see that smile again. He had always been the cool type who seldom curves his lips, but he never failed to bring out his own piece of asset - his charm. "Jung Soojung? Is it really you?"

 

        I could only nod and stutter as a reponse. "Y-yes. W-wu Fan?"

 

       He grabbed his name plate on his table and pointed his name. "It's Kris Wu, actually. Kris Wu. Sounds nice, isn't it?" For a second, I wondered when did a trend for change of names start. I myself is guilty of that. Well, I did not change my name. I just got used in being called Krystal rather than Soojung. For the case of the other two people I know, however, they seemed to shrug off their real names. Lay. Zhang Yixing. Kris. Wu Fan. 

 

        "Don't you like my new name?" He cheekily asked as it took me a while to say something.

 

        I shook my head in defense. "It's nice actually. I just wondered why and how you changed it."

 

        He shrugged. "Some things changed, Soojung. But well, don't worry. Aside from my name, nothing much has changed. I just got used to Kris Wu when I studied abroad."

 

       "Oh god, Wu Fan." I called him by the name I knew of him, almost be reflex. "How have you been?"

 

       It's been three years since we last met. Truth be told, I have been infatuated with him since grade school. When his family used to live here in Korea, their house was adjacent to ours. Everybody knows the thing about crushes. It's always giddy and tingly and kind of a different kind of snappy euphoria. I even remembered having his photo on my wallet. It's embarrassing to admit, but I used to kiss that exact photo each time I woke up and before I sleep. To sum everything up, Wu Fan was my ideal man. Yes, he's ideal - near perfect kind of ideal. Weird as for me, I felt the same kind of giddy euphoria as soon as my eyes set on him once again. 

 

       "Well, I've been well." He threw a thumb up. "How about you? And ahjumma and Yoogeun? Oh, I miss that little kid."

 

       "They're fine." I replied. "Life was not easy, but well, we've all been fine."

 

       "And how about you, Soojung?" He still called me by that name. Of all people who knew me, only my omma and Wu Fan still called me by that name. "I have to admit, the silly-looking Soojung who played and dressed up like a boy has changed. Have I told you that you look prettier?" 

 

       Don't tell me I'm blushing crimson red. I shouted at myself in quick thought. I was certain I did - oh, not crimson red, but maroon. I let out a small laugh and tried to handle my tingles well. "Thank you." I shyly replied. "But if there is someone between us who is really impressive, that is you, Wu Fan. You own this bookstore? Daebak!" I gave him a two thumbs up, dropping my application form on the floor. 

 

       Being the gentleman he always was, he took initiative to pick the mess up and hand it back to me. "Did I see it right? You're applying for a job?"

 

       I nodded. "I saw the flyer saying you're accepting working students. So, yeah, I'm applying." I told him. "So, could you help me, Mr. Wu?"

 

       He scoffed. "Don't call me as such. We're friends, remember? And as far as I can recall, we used to be an item." He raised an eyebrow with a sort of tease in expression. As for me, I was certain that I blushed hard.

 

        Back then, our classmates used to tease us. Jiyoung was the number one to tease us, saying she'll be our cupid. Wu Fan is four years older than I was, but he always imposed to me not to call him Oppa. I was the only one given that sort of opportunity, so people began teasing us. You know how the puberty period works in social settings. 

 

       "So, am I accepted?" I asked, referring to the job.

 

       "Not yet." He snapped. He laughed as he saw how my face darkened. "Just kidding, Soojung. Of course, you are. In fact, I am giving you the opportunity to choose from a wide variety of jobs." 

 

        He handed me a piece of paper listing different businesses. 

 

       "I prefer working here. At least you'll be my boss." I told him.

 

       "No matter what you choose, I'll still be your boss, so feel free with any option." He said, surprising me in extreme revelation.

 

       "You mean to say..." I paused as I looked at him with wide eyes. "You own all of these businesses?"

 

       "You can say that." He shrugged, making it look like owning many businesses is a casual incidence. "But I have different business partners, as welll. You know how Chinese mentality works. Business minds usually think as such."

 

       At the sudden mention of Chinese mentality, I suddenly remembered Lay. I caught thought of him telling me to call him soon. I immediately shrug the thought that another ten minutes would not do any harm. 

 

       People might get me wrong if they knew what I did, but that was not the case. I was sure of my feelings for Lay - entirely sure. It was just that Wu Fan was a good friend, brother, confidante, long-time crush and ideal man all in one. People used to say that a woman might find the right man to love, but the first infatuation will always give a perfectly distinct feel inside. I guess that was all. 

 

       "But you see, this is my favorite. The bookstore. It's peaceful and quiet, plus I can do free reading as the owner." Wu Fan added.

 

        Before I could even formulate a reaction, my phone rang and voila! It was Lay, as expected.

 

       "Your boyfriend?" Wu Fan asked.

 

       I did not know how to reply to that question, so I simply smiled.

 

       "Go on. Answer it. I don't mind." He told me. "And by the way, you're accepted. You can start tomorrow." I felt so happy and out-burdened. Thanks to Wu Fan. 

 

 

        "Hey." I said as I answered the phone. I was smiling nonstop and I could not help it.

 

       "You sound well." Lay remarked. "I guess something calls for a celebration?"

 

       "I have tons to tell you, Lay. This day was epic!" I excitedly told him.

 

       "So you really found one, huh?" He asked in affirmation.

 

       "Yes!" I exclaimed. "I found one and it's really nice. It's in a bookstore. You know I love books, right? And the place is really cozy. It's so nice. And the.." He cut me off with his chuckle. It's refreshing to hear one from him. I was glad he was happy for me despite his prior objections.

 

       "Reserve your stories for later, princess." He told me. "Where are you? Let's meet for a dinner to celebrate your first job."

 

       Just then, Wu Fan appeared once again, running to me and said, "Can we have dinner, Soojung?"

 

       Oops. Wrong timing. 

 

       "Hey, Krystal. Was that a man's voice? Who is that? Did he just ask you for dinner?" Lay's voice suddenly went hoarse and cold at the other end of the line. 

 

       I was left hoping I was not up for any trouble again. 

 


author's note

That was  right, guys.

Kris is another character to give thrill to LayStal's relationship.

What do you think would happen next?

Uh-oh seems like Lay is a bit in panic again.

Drop your comments, okay?

SUBSCRIBE. COMMENT. UPVOTE.

<3