Chapter 22

Miss No Label

 

Miss No Label

   C H A P T E R   T W E N T Y - T W O   

 



POV:

 

 

 

        Afternoon came and I knew I had to start my search for a parttime job. The drizzle that turned to heavy rain was extra torture, especially after I forgot to bring an umbrella. I tried to shield my biodata and application forms, but I was barely successful. I was then left with no other choice but to print another copy and that meant extra waste of time and money. It was with no doubt more difficult than what I expected, but there won't be harm in insisting and trying harder. 

 

        For Hire: Cashier. I read at a coffee shop's note by its door. I went inside, full of hope and anticipation, but to my dismay, they needed a full-time worker, which was definitely impossible for me. First stop, Failed.

 

        I took another long walk until I passed by a newspaper stand. I immediately grabbed one and turned to see the job advertisements. One by one, I called each of the possible businesses. To my dismay, however, I was repeatedly turned down. Some said I was too young, while others required full-time availability. Finishing all the job advertisements on that newspaper, I was rejected seventeen times.

 

        I was determined to search for more, but just as I decided to start walking the streets once again, the rain started to pour heavier. Right then and there, I wanted to give up. I thought of giving Lay a call to vent all my frustrations and disappointments towards my hopelessness. I knew I needed someone to understand me, and so I did.

 

       "Hey." There came his distinct voice. He immediately picked his phone up, making me assume he was spending some boring time on his place.

 

        As I heard his voice, however, a slight ray of pride struck me. He had been repeatedly telling me to quit thinking of a parttime job since I'd be just exhausting myself. He was right, I had to admit. No job has started yet, but I was already exhausted as far as looking for one was concerned. 

 

       "Krystal, you there?" He asked as it took me a while to utter a sound.

 

        "Mmm." I uttered. 

 

       "Is something wrong?" He asked in low tone.

 

       "No." I defensively replied. "I just... uh... sort of... I keyed in the wrong number. I was supposed to call Jiyoung." 

 

       "Okay?" He uttered, making me realize that my alibi was sort of offensive.

 

       "The thing is, Lay..." I added to lessen the trouble. "What was that Chinese phrase you always tell me when I struggle in school? Can you tell me that right now?" I said, sounding weak but I could not care. I needed to hear it from him to somehow boost me up. He used to tell me the very phrase whenever I felt down or when I was in the verge of just giving up. I have always been the physical replica of a fighter, but Lay has always been the one boosting me up. He's always been the fighter deep inside, and I knew I needed him at that very moment.

 

       "Something is wrong." He knew me well. He knew I was down. "Where are you?"

 

       "Nothing is wrong." I told him. "I just sort of want to hear it from you as I start searching for a job." I lied. I have already started, but I failed repeatedly. I could not let him know, however. Making him worried is the last thing I should inflict on him. 

 

       "Are you sure nothing's wrong?" He asked again. "You sound low."

 

       "Can you please let me hear it? Please?" 

 

       "No need to beg, princess." He said in a warm tone, making me feel like he was right there in front of me - which I wish really was the case. "Jia You." He said in an entirely accommodating and motivating feel in my ears. "Jia You." He repeated.

 

       Jia You. I never imagined how a single code from a foreign tongue can make me feel as sentimental in such way. 

 

       "Thanks, Lay." My voice was shaking, despite my effort to keep it normal.

 

        "I'll drive you home later, so call me. Okay?" He said in a demanding yet delicate tone.

 

        Entertaining the possibility of failing all day, I did not want to make him worried of me. I might just whine and get irritable when that happens, so I felt the need not to trouble him anymore. "No need, Lay. I might..."

 

       "He cut me off and insisted. "I'll drive you home. Call me."

 

 

       Twenty-one. Twenty one tries with the same number of rejections. I never knew how it feels to get turned down twenty-one aggravating times until that very day. I took a ull pause as I went out of the thirty-first shop that rejected my application. I sighed deeply - not once, but for several times. I was tired; my feet hurt and my knees shake. I was starving and exhausted. The rain continued to pour heavily, only making the situation worse than it already was. 

 

       I was about to give up. I thought of admitting to both Lay and Jiyoung that they were right. I just had to stop being too ambitious and stubborn. I thought, maybe a parttime job was just not for me. 

 

       "This is it. I give up." I said as I picked my phone out of my pocket to call Lay. I needed a ride home since I was unbearably tired anyway. 

 

       Just as I was about to press Call, however, a middle-aged woman passed by in front of me, dropping a thin paper. I picked up as it caught my attention. Just like how surprises and fate work, light came at the very unexpected moment. 

 

        Are you a student? Do you need extra money for your allowance? Then drop by at Red Dragon Bookstore and comply with the requirements listed. You might be the one we're looking for. 

 

        My eyes beamed once again, almost squealing in what seemed to be an answered prayer. I don't know why but it just seemed like I knew it was the one. Without further ado, I headed to that specific bookstore since it was not very far from where I was. 

 

       "Red Dragon Bookstore." I read the big red bold letters on the label. The shop had red and white exteriors with a big glass window, showing a cozy interior. Contrary to the typical dusty and old-looking library or the boring, same-old typical bookstore, it had a section for free reading. The shelves were arranged very accordingly and even the counter looked inviting. 

 

       "Good evening, Miss." A lady who seemed to be in her late twenties came to me with a smile. "Can we help you?"

 

       "I found this by the street." I said as I showed him the flyer. "Is this job still available?"

 

       "It is, Miss. Very available." She replied warmly. "Would you like to apply? Did you bring the requirements?"

 

       "Yes, Ma'am." I replied. 

 

       "Then come follow me. The owner of this bookstore does the screening. I will lead you to his office." She said.

 

 

 

        We entered a grey door labeled with Staff Only. Taking a few additional steps, we paused in front of another grey door which was this time, unlabeled. Knocking the door twice, we waited for a response. 

 

       Not long after, a voice was heard. "Come in." 

 

        The lady opened the door and turned to me. "Get inside, Miss. The interview will start right away."

 

       The office itself was cozy. It was not the typical office of an overworked businessman. In fact, I did not expect the owner to be a man. A woman was in my mind the whole time. His back was facing me as he sat on his chair. I remained standing near the door as I waited for his cue. He was talking in English on the telephone. Weird as for me, I found his figure and his voice quite familiar.

 

       My eyes shifted to the name plate on his table. Kris Wu. I did not know anybody by that name before, so I shrugged my thoughts off.

 

       Just as he faced me, however, I was only left shocked. Evident with his expression, it was obvious the he himself was as surprised as I was. After a while of being frozen, he laughed a little and smiled at me.

 

       "Is that you, Soojung?" He narrowed his eyes on me.

 

       "Wu fan?" I uttered in cue of disbelief. After some time, however, my lips could not help but curve into a genuine smile.

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 
author's note
So, that was it.
Double update for today.
And yes, Kris is the new character.
A friend of mine specifically suggested him,
since he adores Kris.
 
Feel free to drop your feedbacks, guys.
Positive or negative comments.
I accept anything.
 
SUBSCRIBE. COMMENT. UPVOTE.
Thanks!