Chapter 13

Miss No Label

 

Miss No Label

   C H A P T E R  T H I R T E E N   

 



POV:

 

 

 

 

        Five minutes before six. I mentally read the green led lights of my digital clock as my car came into a full stop in front of Miss Lee's dress shop. Just in time to see Krystal's perfection, I thought. I was about to get out of the car in excitement, until my phone rang. I rolled my eyes in distress. Letting out a sigh, I was certain who the caller was even without checking - my father. After his fifth ignored call, he decided to use my mother's phone, definitely thinking that I'll answer it otherwise. He thought wrong. I knew it was him at the very end of the line. I was not in the mood for some argument with him, especially after planning out a good time with Krystal. Just no. I knew I could not let anyone ruin the whole thing, especially the part with Krystal and making her happy. I thought.

 

        I entered the shop, leaving my phone off in my car. 

 

       I always saw Krystal as a stunningly lovely lady who may be able to launch ten thousand ships, but I never thought she could look even more beautiful. She was definitely the most beautiful. She flashed her charming smile as I entered the shop, making me glad that she was looking forward for my arrival. Her eyes beamed in utter perfection. At one second, I thought of ditching that overrated school party and let nobody see her that beautiful. It would be no wonder if the whole male population in the university would swoon over her after that very night. But I cannot allow that. 

 

       "Good evening, ladies." I uttered, pertaining to both Miss Lee and Krystal yet my eyes were locked into the latter. "And hi to my princess." I said, with my lips involuntarily curving into a genuine smile. "As expected, you're perfect." I whispered in her ear, as I held her by her waist. She flinched a little, and I swear it was adorably fascinating to me.

 

       "You're really something, Lay." She uttered as she gently slapped my arm. Her hands were too soft to hurt. "Seriously."

 

       I grinned at her, still with eyes locked at hers. I used to be a non-believer of romantic mantras of a man not being able to take his eyes off his woman in dazzle, but at that very moment, I started to believe. I gestured for her to hold on to my arm. "May I, princess?" I said. I did not know where I got those finely woven words. Never before have I used them, but they spurted out from my mouth as if it was some kind of default.

 

 

       "Seriously, Lay? You could have told me prior to dragging me into this whole thing." She whined as we drove to the hotel where the party would be held. "You even spent a great deal of money for this? It could have been a month's grocery or more."

 

       "Come on, Krystal. I'm not doing this for nothing." I told her. "And please don't whine like that. It would ruin your perfection."

 

       "I don't care." She stubbornly crossed her arms, shifting her gaze away from me. I could not help but laugh by the sight of her, being so adorable rather than annoying. "Did you just laugh?" She questioned.

 

       "Yes." I replied. "You look like a five-year old kid."

 

       "What did you say?" She sternly uttered. 

 

       "Lighten up, princess." I said. "We're almost there. You see, there's no turning back."

 

       "I'm feeling sick, Lay. I think I have fever." She said in obvious pretense, just to get out of the situation.

 

        "We're here." I said, not minding her sentiments. "Trust me." I extended my hand for her to hold as we got out of the car. "You don't have to worry about anything. Just hold my hand."

 

       Without asking her, I know why Krystal hated going to parties. It's because she thinks she does not belong. For me, she's stunning and wonderful and it's too bad that she cannot see that for herself. I swore that night that I will let her insecurities fade, or so I thought.

 

 

       "Whoa. You didn't tell us you're bringing a hot girl with you, hyung." Sehun, a classmate in History class, said as he high-fived me. I could feel Krystal feel awkward beside me. She started to grip on my hand tighter.

 

        "Let's go home." She whispered in my ear.

 

        Turning to Sehun, I said, "Yes. And this girl is mine."

 

        Sehun narrowed his eyes on Krystal. "Omo. Is this Krystal Jung?"

 

        "Annyeong." Krystal softly uttered as she waved at Sehun.

 

        "So is it true? You two are really dating?" Sehun asked, glaring at me playfully.

 

        "Excuse us, Sehun. We're going to find our seat first." I said as I led Krystal away. My hands were on his waist, indirectly claiming her as mine and telling it to the crowd. I saw several men eye on her, and I did not like it. 

 

       The night was long. Everyone was dancing into the music and chatting nonchalantly. A few acquaintances shared a table with us and we had a few topical conversations - which I don't even find interesting. What I enjoyed more was holding and playing with Krystal's hand under the table. 

 

       I noticed Krystal was being rather more silent than expected. "Are you okay?" I asked her.

 

       She nodded. "Yes. I'm just not comfortable. I feel crowded." 

 

       "Is that so?" I said as I stood up from my seat. "Follow me then."

 

        I led her outside, and took a few turns until we were heading to a long hallway. "Where are we going, Lay?" She asked.

 

       "Just follow my lead." I instructed.

 

 

 


 

POV:

 

 

 

        I turned speechless. If not for Lay holding my hand, I would have lost my balance especially with the high-heeled shoes I was wearing. I looked around and blinked my eye several times, making sure if what I was seeing was a dream or a reality. 

 

       Lay brought me to the center of the hotel. It was a circular garden with plants and flowers surrounding a beautiful well-lighted fountain. The water danced in different movements, making the place appear like a magical scenario. My mouth hung open as I indulged myself with the fascination my mind could not contain.

 

       "Lay..." I uttered as I looked at him.

 

       "Can I have a dance with my princess?" He said, extending his hand in a princely move - one that I used to see only in movies.

 

       "There's no music, Lay." I told him.

 

      "Manageable." He said. He snapped his hand and just like what some kind of magic does, music flew into the air.

 

       I took hold of his hand and my eyes started to water. I felt so special, for the first time. Only Lay could ever make me feel such euphoria and bliss. Only Zhang Yixing.

 

       "I'm sorry if I pushed you into attending the party." He said as we slow danced. 

 

        I shook my head. "You actually made me so happy, Lay. You always make me happy."

 

       "I'm glad." He proudly said. "You're beautiful, Krystal. For me, you're the most beautiful." He said, looking at me in the eye.

 

        "Thanks to Miss Lee." I said.

 

       He drew me closer to his body so that we were more of embracing than dancing. "No. It's not because of someone else but you. Everyday, ever since I saw you, I found you beautiful." 

 

       "You're kidding." I chuckled, thinking that he was exaggerating. Many other girls are prettier. Some were like walking angels and fashion models without even trying. The thought of resembling Lay's first love triggered into me again. Perhaps he just sees that girl in me. I thought, making me feel insecure. 

 

       "I'm not kidding." He said. He broke away from our nearness and cupped my face. "Want me to prove that?" Before I could even think of anything else, his lips crashed into mine. It took a while for me to integrate the whole scene, but when I did, I kissed him back. Lay did it so gently that it made me adore him more. 

 

       "I love you, Lay." I said in between the kiss.

 

        He smiled and caressed my cheeks. "I love you, too."

 

 

        Ten minutes before twelve o'clock. Lay and I went back to the party hall. This time, I felt more at ease. We actually went back just to say goodbye to a few friends before going home, but the energetic music inside the hall suddenly stopped. The spotlight was on as it centered the stage. 

 

       Choi Jinri, a tall and pretty girl who was the party's emcee, went up the stage and announced, "It's almost midnight, yet the part is not yet over. To make this event even more special, the school has prepared a special guest for everyone." Excitement was heard as the crowed screamed and clapped. "But before anything else, may we request Zhang Yixing to please come up the stage?"

 

        The spotlight turned to focus on Lay. I immediately let go of his hand and stepped back. I hated spotlights. He turned to me questionably and I mouthed a clear "Spotlight" to him to inform him of my sentiment. 

 

       "Zhang Yixing?" Choi Jinri announced again.

 

       "Me? Why?" Lay asked.

 

       "Please play the guitar for us." Jinri said. Looking at Lay, it was evident that he was shocked. I, myself was shocked. I never knew Lay knew how to play the guitar. 

 

       Lay turned around to look at me, obviously confused on what to do. "Just go." I told him.

 

       "The special guest requested for a good guitarist and you were chosen." Jinri announced again. 

 

        

 

         He began to strum the guitar. He was perfect. No, he was actually beyond perfection. Everyone clapped as he began. Aside from Lay, everyone anticipated for the special guest. After a few notes by Lay, a fair woman in a stunningly elegant long gown entered the stage. Shocked as everyone else, it was Feng Sara, a Chinese superstar who topped music charts the past few months.

 

        Lay stopped as she entered. He looked at her with shock and it was definitely not the fanboy kind of shock. Feng Sara quickly hugged him, leaving the whole crowd shocked.

 

        "I missed you, Yixing." She said in Mandarin. It was heard by the crowd since the microphone was literally inches away from them. I understood what she said, and I hoped I did not. So, they know each other? I thought as I got tensed up.

 

        "Isn't he dating Krystal Jung?"

 

        "Why the sudden skinship?"

 

        "Are they dating?"

 

        I heard varied babbles around me. They ring so annoyingly and hurtfully on my ear. I continued staring at the stage, and saw Lay turn his head on my direction. I quickly averted my eyes on the floor to avoid his. 

 

        "I dedicate this song for Zhang Yixing." She said prior to singing a Mandarin song which sounded static on my ear. All the while, everything became blur. I felt my knees weaken. I wanted to run but I cannot move a limb. I felt a negative vibe rush over to my whole body. They may be just close firends, I repeatedly told myself. I was not convinced, however.

 

        The song ended as she embraced Yixing once again, earning a booming applause from the happy audience. I remained frozen and bewildered, not knowing what to expect.

 

        Jinri came up the stage again and commented babbles. Then, in finale, she asked, "I guess everyone is curious. How are you and Yixing related?" She asked in Korean, which Sara amazingly understood. Well, it was not a mystery for an international idol.

 

        "Zhang Yixing is my...." A part of me wanted to run away and avoid hearing the answer, but something seemed to tell me to listen. Before she could finish her statement, the clock made a sound annoying for my ears. It signalled midnight. 

 

        As it stopped, Sara proceeded as she linked her arms with his. "He's my fiance." 

 

        Those words echoes through my ear. Fiance.

 

        That label.

 

        They got a label.

 

        Lay is her fiance.

 

        I stood frozen for a while. 

 

        I watched as Lay let go of Sara's grip and came down the stage. Taking that as a cue, I hurriedly walked out of the hall and locked myself in a toilet cubicle. I wanted to cry my heart out, but not a single tear fell. I felt numb. I felt like a piece of melted ice. 

 

        That's what midnight does. It ends the fairy tale. 

 


 

author's note

I know it sounded too off at the start of the chapter

I apologize for that.

I did not seem to organize my thoughts well.

But feel free to comment. :)