Chapter 1

Miss No Label

Miss No Label

   C H A P T E R   O N E   

 



POV:

 

 

 

 

       I walked through heavy steps along the long corridors of Sungkyunkwan University. Since then, I have always dreamed of studying in the prestigious and famous university with the hope of making a future for myself. Ironic as to what I have planned all those years, when I have already set foot on the very floor of what used to be simply the object of my dreams, I started to feel the need to get away - to escape and just go home. 

 

       I can't believe it. I was so psyched to get here, and there I was, wishing I have never left high school. Or perhaps more appropriately, I wished high school never left me. The worst part of everything was, I did not really see how things were going to get any better. My life was ruined, or so that's how it felt like. First, my father left for overseas work, telling us it would make him earn more money and give us a better life. Truth be told, it has been a year yet still, our life did not get any better. Second, gang-like dudes in suits kept on coming into our house, telling my mother to pay the rent. If not, we would be kicked out and worse, we had nowhere to go if ever that happens. Third, I lost my best friend. 

 

       There I was, putting in some stuff into my locker. To make my current state worse, I took a glimpse of the locker beside me and saw my used-to-be best friend's name on it. Chances surely loved playing with me. She was the last person I ever wanted to see around, and there her locker was, just right beside mine. Of all people, why did it have to be Kang Jiyoung?

 

       As soon as I closed my locker to proceed to my first class, I got even more unlucky. It seemed like bad luck still kept on mocking me. There she was, Kang Jiyoung heading to my direction. Or not. Certainly not to me, but to her locker. She was inches away from me, yet neither of us said a word to each other. I called her the night before to see if she wanted to ride the bus with me to school together. We lived a few blocks away from each other anyway, so I thought it would not be any bother. When I called, however, Jiyoung told me she already agreed to go with her new friends. I felt sort of bad, but I decided to just shrug it off.

 

       There she was, I almost doubted if she really was Jiyoung. She was wearing high-fashioned clothes with matching accessories. In her hand, she held a brand new Apple phone product while the other was sporting a Prada bag. I seriously wondered where she got those things when she used to be the simple one. I wondered even more with the thought of where she learned being that kind of person. 

 

       "Hi, Jiyoung." I took the first step, hoping she would take a step forward too.

 

       Making me feel more insulted, she turned her head from left to right, as if trying to make sure nobody see us having a conversation. "Hi." There went her short reply and her forced smile.

 

       "What's your first class?" I asked, trying to be casual.

 

       She shrugged. "Voice class." Being a performing arts student, Jiyoung was talented. I wanted to give her some good luck words of encouragement, only to be cut off with clacking sounds of high-heeled shoes. 

 

       There they were, Park Jiyeon and Yoon Bomi, Jiyoung's so-called new friends. Also majoring in Performing Arts, they waved at Jiyoung and flashed their usual I-am-so-pretty kind of smile.  They came from the same high school as mine and Jiyeong's. Apparently, they disliked me from the start.

 

       "Hi, Jiyoung. Ready for our voice class?" Bomi greeted.

 

       Jiyoung nodded yes. 

 

       "Great." Jiyeon remarked. "Oh hi, Krystal. You're there." She threw her mocking smile at me and scoffed. I wanted to punch her foundation-filled face right then and there. 

 

       "Unfortunately." I replied ambiguously.

 

       "Nice dress." Bomi looked at me with one eyebrow raised. I know she meant the other way around. Different from them, I was wearing an ordinary-looking teal blue loose shirt, a pair of jeans and flat shoes. My bag was a simple black backpack my mother bought for me a few days ago. 

 

       "Thanks." I said, trying to avoid long mocking and mind-blowing arguements.

 

       "I think someone might fall in love with your fashion sense." Jiyeon added. "Don't you think so, Jiyoung?" Park Jiyeon was seriously trying to make things worse between me and Jiyeong.

 

       Jiyoung simply nodded. That hurt me. She did not even care to defend me from those lousy new friends of her. 

 

       I can't believe I remained standing in front of them. I was spinning, tumbling and crashing, but I just stood there. Noise around me was static. It took me a while to snap myself and breathe deeply. No more words were meant to be said. I just walked off them and convinced myself that I was not some insecure loser who cannot defend herself, when in fact, I certainly was. 

 

 

       "Room 23." I read from my schedule. Turning a left, I saw Room 18. "Good, Krystal. Now, 19...." I breezed my way through the rooms prior to where my first class was. "20... 21... 22... and yes..." 

 

       Bump. Bag fell. I fell. I looked like a frail little child who fell on the floor. 

 

       "Stupid me." I murmured.

 

       I suddenly felt some force beside me. I looked up and saw a man, standing and looking down at me. His eyes glimmered brown and his curly hair seemed soft and smooth. His lips curved perfectly as he spoke some words I failed to hear.

 

       "Pardon?" I said.

 

       "Sorry." he said. "Let me help you." He extended his hand to me, which I assume to be a gesture wanting to help.

 

       My pride told me to stand by myself and so I did. "No, it's okay. Not much damage." I said.

 

       He looked blank and expressionless. "Oh." he uttered lowly. "You sure?"

 

       I took a nod. "I'm not some glass miniature to break."

 

       He shrugged. "I guess so."

 

       "Oh!" I exclaimed as I saw the clock by the wall. I was already five minutes late from my first class. The last thing I ever want to be in the first day of school was to be in the center of attention. I hate the spotlight. "Sorry, I bumped into you. Bye!" I said before I left.

 

       Just as I safely took my seat, which was beside the window and found out the the teacher did not arrive yet, I suddenly flinched. I snapped in regret. "I did not even know the cute guy's name." I thought. "Come on, Krystal. Did you just say he's cute? Cut if off, stupid!" I mentally slapped myself. 

 

       The door opened again. 

 

       "Oh no." I inconsciously uttered.

 

 

       » author's note

Hello, everyone. Thanks to my subbies :))

I hope new readers would subscribe.

Feel free to comment!