Chapter 8: New Friend & Missed Lunch

CHERISH OUR TIME

Ying Jie's POV

From Aaron
Do you need a ride to work? I can fetch you from the hotel.

To Aaron
Thank you, but I’m already on my way to work.

From Aaron
Okay, so see you at lunch later?

To Aaron
Yeah, see you later.

 

I look at my phone. It’s 8:32AM. I just need around 10 minutes of walk till I reach Yan D&C. Since I got plenty of time, I went to a nearby bakery and buy some bread for my breakfast.

I walk towards the reception in Yan D&C first floor, and get my employee pass. I have received a text message yesterday that I needed to get my employee pass from the reception. After getting my pass, I walk towards the elevator and went in, pressing twenty-second floor and went up.

“Hello, I’m the new employee. I was asked to report to Mrs Li. May I know where can I find her?” I ask the first person I see on the level.

“Hi! Mrs Li has not reached yet. Perhaps you can wait inside her office?”

“Sure.”

I follow him to Mrs Li’s office.

“Just take a seat.” He said and went out.

After a few minutes, I hear the door opening. A young lady came in. She looks just like my age, or maybe younger. Thinking that she might be Mrs Li, I quickly stand up.

“Hi! You must be the other new employee. I’m Zi Qing, you can call me Ya Tou. I’m also the new employee.” Oh, she’s not Mrs Li.

“Hi, I’m Wu Ying Jie.”

While waiting for Mrs Li, she shares with me about herself. I realise that she is really the same age as me, 24 years old. Not being rude, I share some of myself too.

“Ying Jie, I think we can be best friends.” She said and smile at me.

Best friends? Yeah, since I’m starting a new life, I need to get some new friends too. I need to enjoy while I can. I nod at her and smile back. Then, we heard the door opening.

“Oh, both of you are early. I’m Mrs Li.” She took out her hand and shakes with us. She briefs us on what we are supposed to do and achieved by the end of the month. Then she brings us for a tour on the level, introducing us to the other colleagues, and lastly, shows us our desks. We are working beside each other.

“Your seats. You can start work now. Any problem you can approach to any of them.” Mrs Li said and left.

***

“Hey Ya Tou, Ying Jie, it’s now lunch time. Do you want to eat with us together?” Hong Shi, who is working with us on the same thing, asks the both of us. She is dating Wei Yu, the guy who brought me to Mrs Li office earlier.

“Sure.” Ya Tou said.

“Ying Jie?”

“Sorry, I’m meeting a friend for lunch.”

“Oh okay then. We go off first.” They walk towards another 2 colleagues, Yao Yao and Apple, who are siblings. They look at me and wave. I wave back.

I look at my phone. It’s 1:09PM, and Aaron didn’t text me. Rather than waiting for him to text me, I decided to text him first.

 

To Aaron
I’m on my lunch break now. Where shall we meet?

 

While waiting for his reply, I decided to continue working on my task. I do not know how long I have been working that I have forgotten the time. I hear some voices, and look up. Ya Tou, Wei Yu, Hong Shi, Yao Yao and Apple has already came back. I look at the time on the computer, it’s 1:51PM. 9 minutes to the end of our lunch break. I look at my phone. Aaron hasn’t text back yet.

“Ying Jie, here’s your lunch.” Ya Tou said and put it on my table.

“My lunch?”

“Yes. Someone had asked me to give it to you. He told me that you hadn’t gone to lunch. I guess your friend must have ditched you, so he passed you your lunch now.” Oh, so this lunch must be from Aaron.

“Eat up. I’ll go back to my work.” She said and went back to her desk. Just then, my message tone rings. I open up the text message.

From Aaron
Sorry, I was in an important meeting. I have sent you your lunch, did you receive it?

To Aaron
It’s ok. We still have next time. And yes I received. Thank you for the lunch.

From Aaron
How about tonight? Maybe we can have our dinner together?

 

Tonight? I was actually thinking of finding an apartment tonight. Maybe I can find it tomorrow.

 

To Aaron
Sure.

From Aaron
Okay! See you after work!

***

Aaron’s POV

From Ying Jie
Sure.

To Ying Jie
Okay! See you after work!

 

Yes! I can tell her about the apartment later tonight.

Earlier, I was in an important meeting, which has delayed till now. Knowing that I am going to miss my lunch with her, I have told Mr Kang to buy some lunch and deliver to her. It’s good to know that she had received the lunch.

Before the meeting, I had gone to Skye High1Condominium Apartment and bought the apartment. The surroundings, the environment, everything, are all great. I decided to let her stay there, and I’m telling her later during dinner.

When I was about to put my phone down, it started ringing.

"Hello son!"

"Hi Mom."

"I was just wondering whether you can have dinner with me and my friend. She's bringing her daughter."

"Mom! Not another blind date!"

"Well, it's not blind date. Just merely a dinner to get to know each other. You can be friends."

Sigh. It's not the first time that she has asked me to attend blind dates. God knows how many times that she had asked me ever since... Rainie's incident. I have gone to all of it. Yes, all. I do not want to disappoint her, so I went to all. But still, all of them don’t attract me.

"I'm not free."

"Oh no don't you lie to me son. I've just check with your PA that you have no work or meetings tonight."

"I'm really not free. I'm having dinner with a friend."

"With Chun, Jiro and Calvin? If it's them then just cancel it. I can tell them the reason."

"Mom! It's not them!"

"Oh? Which friend?"

"It's a new friend that I made not long ago. It's... Mom, this dinner is important to me. I can't cancel it. Why not I meet them next time?"

"Next time? You sure?"

"Yes."

"Alright then."

Finally! I can’t tell her that I’m meeting a ‘girl’ friend, or else she would think that it’s my girlfriend. She has wanted me to get married as soon as possible, since she said that I’m in the age where many people get married. I’m just 28 years old, and I think it’s too early for me to get married. Besides, I’m still waiting for her. I closed my eyes and think back about us.

I don’t know why, but this time, I’m not that sad anymore.