Chapter 23: The Truth

CHERISH OUR TIME

 

Aaron’s POV

“What do you want?” I ask calmly through the phone.

Rainie called. She has stopped bothering me ever since that day a month ago, where I last talked to her in my house. I didn’t know it was her who called. It was an unknown number, so I decided to pick it up. When she first spoke, I knew it was her.

“I want to apologise for my behaviour. So I was wondering if I could treat you to a dinner.”

Apologise? Dinner? Should I?

“I really hope you’ll have dinner with me. Or else I cannot forgive myself.” She says. It’s just a dinner, I guess it’s okay.

“Alright. Where?”

She told me the place and time. I hang up the phone and continue with my work.

After work, I went to the café where Rainie wants to meet. We’re not having dinner, since I told her I only wanted coffee, and not dinner. And before I reach the cafe, I texted Ying Jie, informing her that I'm going to find her later, knowing that she'll worry if I'm late.

When I reached there, she is already seated on a table near the window. She waves at me, and I walk over to her.

“I’m glad you came!” She says, and I just nod.

“What would you like to drink?” A waiter comes over and asks me. I ordered my drink, then turn back to Rainie.

“I know you have something to say to me.” I say to her, because I know other than apologising, she must have something to tell me over a dinner or a drink. She smiles at me and nods.

“You still know me so well.” She says. My drink came, and I take a sip on my coffee. I look at her and wait for her to continue.

“Other than to apologise, I hope we still can be friends.”

“We are friends.” I say. Being friends is better than being an enemy. Besides, we have a special past together.

She smiles widely, and put her hand over mine. I didn’t remove her hands. “Thank you for still considering me as a friend.” She says. I smile back at her.

We have a friendly chat next. She told me about her store. She’s opening another outlet next week, and she hope I could come for the outlet opening party. I accepted her invitation, since I’m her friend, I should support her.

"Are you alright?" I ask, when I saw her wincing and holding on her forehead.

"Nothing, just a headache." She says, but she's still clutching on her head, like she's in pain.

"Come, I'll send you home. You don't look so well." I say and stand. She stands, but seems like her headache is getting over her. She can't even stand properly. I walk towards her and put my arms around her shoulder. She leans her head on me and we walk out of the cafe.

I bring her to my car, since she's not in the condition to drive. I put her in the front passenger seat and gets in the driver seat.

"Do you need me to bring you to the hospital?"

"No. I'll just go home and have some painkillers."

I drive her to her house, and look over to her. She's asleep. I wake her up to inform her that we have reached. I ask her whether she needs me to bring her up to her apartment, but she refuses. She says she's now feeling a little better when she's sleeping just now. I look at her, she definitely looks better now. She gets off the car, and I drive to the hospital after we bid goodbye.

I reached Ying Jie's ward. I tell her about the vacation that Ya Tou and Ah Wei have earlier this month, while showing her pictures of their vacation. They went to Paris, keep telling me how beautiful and romantic it is. I tell Ying Jie that I'll bring her there when she gets better.

I turn to her, and she's staring at nothing. She seems to have been thinking about something. I ask her what's wrong, and she just shakes her head. I look at her, still not quite believe her. She smiles her usual smile and look at the pictures on the MacBook.

The next morning, I went back home for a shower and went to work. My schedules today are mostly meetings after meetings.

After my 3rd meeting, I went back to my office. Before I walk in, Miss Chen stops me, telling me there are Medias outside the company. I'm confused as I don't know why there are Medias. There isn't any big project done yet for the time being. I ask her, and she tells me it's about the news. I'm still confused. What news? Before I can ask her, Ya Tou ran towards me and pushes me in to my office. She locks the door and turns to me. Why is she in such a hurry?

"Ge! Trouble! The media is outside, waiting for your statement!"

"What statement? I don't understand why there are Medias."

"Didn't you read the news?!" She asks, surprised that I didn't know. I walk to my desk and take the iPad, finding any news relating to me. Then I found 1, and I'm shock, big shock.

~

Italy Fashion Designer Rainie & Yan D&C CEO Aaron Yan are a couple!

Last night, paparazzi have captured pictures of the designer and Yan D&C CEO at a Café. They were seen having an intimate conversation, holding each other, and rides off in the same car!

This morning, Rainie has admitted that she’s currently dating Yan D&C CEO, and they have been dating for the past 8 years.

The famous Italy Fashion Designer, Rainie, has come to Taipei a month ago stating that she’s in Taipei for her work, and also for her boyfriend. Her boyfriend is none other than Yan D&C CEO Aaron Yan!

She didn’t disclose her boyfriend’s identity, until this morning, where reporters have asked her about the pictures. She admits, and said, “Since the paparazzi have taken the pictures, I can’t deny that he’s not my boyfriend. We’ve been dating for 8 years.”

Let’s congratulate this couple and wish them happiness!

~

"What the ! This is not true!"

"I know it's not true! But why are you with her anyway? No, I shouldn't ask you any questions now. You should get rid of the reporters, and also call Ying Jie. She might have read the news!"

Ya Tou's right. I immediately look for my phone on my desk. There are lots of missed calls, but I ignore them. Calling Ying Jie is more important now.

I call for the first time, she didn't pick it up. I started to feel uneasy. She must have read the news, that's why she didn't pick up the call. I call again, but it's still the same.

"I'll try to call her." Ya Tou says, knowing that she didn't pick up my calls. Ya Tou calls her, but still, she didn't pick up the call. Knowing that staying here won't help, I decided to head straight to the hospital.

I successfully avoided the Medias as they are outside the building, but not the parking lot entrance. I speed my way to the hospital, and ran towards the elevator and to her room.

I saw her smiling to Sheng Yi, but when she saw me, she immediately stops smiling. She moves her eyes away from me, but I can see her coldness, and pain in her eyes. I never wanted to hurt her, but I did.

I walk towards her, and sit down on the chair beside the bed. I hold on to her hand, but she takes back her hand immediately. She's still not looking at me. She doesn't even want to touch me, or look at me.

“Ying Jie… I know you’ve seen the news. That’s not true.” I say, hoping that she'll listen to me. She's still in the same position, not looking at me. I decided to continue.

“Last night, I-”

“I don’t want to hear.” She cuts me off. I need her to listen. I need her to know the truth.

“No Ying Jie, you must listen-”

“No!” She cuts me off again, and this time, she uses her hands to cover her ears. It hurts me that she doesn't want to listen to me, listen to my explanations. I hold on to her hands again, trying to remove her hands from her ears so that she can listen to me, but she shakes my hands off. I'm hurt, and angry. Hurt that she doesn't trust me, and doesn't want to listen to my explanations. Angry that what the news reported, and also Rainie's lie to the Medias. I know after what the news reported, and the pictures, the trust that Ying Jie has for me must have decreased by a lot, or maybe it has drop to zero. But I can't blame her, because partially, it's my fault, my fault to believe Rainie.

"I think you should leave first." Sheng Yi says to me. I didn't want to leave, but knowing that she won't listen to me, and knowing that she doesn't want to face me, I decided to leave first, but I'll come back later.

"I'll come back later." I say and left the room.