Chapter 16: Acceptance

CHERISH OUR TIME

Aaron’s POV

Ying Jie and I are now below the apartment, sending Xiao Yu and Xiao Xun off. Their cab has just reached, and Xiao Yu is putting their bags in the trunk. Xiao Xun and Ying Jie are hugging each other.

“I’ll miss you.”

“I’ll miss you too. Take care of yourself.”

“Yes.” Xiao Xun says and releases her. Then she turns to me.

“Aaron, please take good care of her.”

“I will.” I assure her and look at Ying Jie. She’s looking back at me and smiling. I smile back.

It’s been 4 days she accepted me, and I’m happy she did. I thanked the both of them that day for telling me about her sickness and also telling me how much she loves me, or else I’ll just give up and let her go through it alone.

As for Ao Quan, I fired him, and the current project he’s taking has now passed on to someone else. He’s done a big part on the project, and I paid him an amount of money that he rightfully gets doing the project although he done terrible things to Ying Jie. The security of the condominium has been changed as well. Ao Quan is able to get in is because the security isn’t doing what he was supposed to do. I’m glad that this new security check guests thoroughly.

Ying Jie didn’t go back to work, but we are still using her design for the project. I’m actually happy that she didn’t go back to work, as I can spend more time with her.

Xiao Yu walks towards us after putting their bags in the trunk.

“Okay, it’s time to go.” He says to Xiao Xun. Then he turns to us. “Bye Ying Jie! Bye Aaron!”

“Bye!” Both of us say.

“Bye bye!” Xiao Xun bids back. Then they get into the cab and leave.

I grab Ying Jie’s hand. “Let’s go.” I say and lead her to the parking lot.

“Where are we going?” She asks while we’re heading towards the car.

“Didn’t you say you want to watch a movie?”

“But the movie I want to watch is not in theatres anymore.”

“I know, but that doesn’t mean we still can’t watch in theatre.” She looks at me confused, and I just gave her a smile.

***

“You have a theatre room?”

“Yes.”

I brought her to my house and into the theatre room. It isn’t really big, but it can occupy up to around 10 people. She said she wanted to watch a movie, and the movie is not in theatres anymore, so I think this place is best for watching the movie she wants. We just need to insert a Blu-ray disc or select a film using Apple TV.

I download The Vow1 using Apple TV, since she said she wanted to watch that movie.

The movie ends, and I can hear sniffing sounds and her body moves beside me. She’s crying. I take some tissue from the tissue box on the table beside me and wipe her tears for her.

“Will you still love me if… I’m gone?” Why is she asking this kind of question?

“You won’t be gone.” I say. She won’t be gone. She’ll always live, with me.

“I’m asking if.” If…

“I’ll always love you. Just like Leo2, always love Paige3 even when she can’t remember him.”

***

Ying Jie’s POV

“I’ll always love you. Just like Leo, always love Paige even when she can’t remember him.” He says, and my tears fall uncontrollably. He leans in and kisses away my tears. I close my eyes. Slowly, he moves to kiss my lips. I kiss him back.

He loves me so much, and I love him as much as he does, but I don’t have much time left to spend with him. Why? Why must he fall in love with me? Why did he have to meet me? Why did I have to meet him? It hurts me so much to know that I don’t have enough time left to spend with him, to love him. I need more time.

He moves his lips away from mine, and leans his forehead against mine.

“Aaron. I want to go through chemotherapy.”

He’s been asking me to go through the chemotherapy for the last few days, but I kept refusing.

Maybe I should try, to live, to let me have more time to love him.

***

"Aaron. Ying Jie." We were walking towards the foyer when someone called us from behind. We turn around, and it's Mrs Yan, Aaron's mother. We walk towards her.

"Mom." "Mrs Yan."

"Oh don't call me Mrs Yan. Call me Mother Yan." She looks at me and says.

"Mother Yan." I correct myself. She smiles and nods at me.

"Mom, do you need anything? You call us for?" Aaron asks her. She turns to look at him.

"I just want to see my son's pretty little girlfriend. You didn't even tell me that she's already your girlfriend. And I can only know by seeing the two of you holding hands." She says and points to our hands with her eyes. I blush.

"Oh! Your pretty little girlfriend is blushing." I blush harder. Oh my god, it's like I have embarrass myself.

"Mom!"

"Alright, alright! I won't tease anymore." She gives me a smile, and continues, "Where are the two of you heading to?"

"We're going to have dinner. Would you want to have dinner with us?" I ask her politely. Then I feel Aaron tugging on my hands. I look at him, and he's frowning slightly. Doesn't he want to have dinner with his mother?

I hear Mother Yan laughs. I turn back to her. "No. I'm having dinner with a best friend today." Then she leans in closer and whispers, "Besides, my son doesn't want me to disturb the both of you." She winks at me when she leans back. I blush again. "Maybe we could have dinner tomorrow." She turns to Aaron. "Bring her here tomorrow for a family dinner."

"Sure will." Aaron says. I look at him confused. So he wants me to have dinner with his mother tomorrow and not today?

"Alright. You two should leave and have your dinner now. Enjoy your night kids! Bye!" Mother Yan says and waves. We waves back, and then walk towards the foyer and heads out to his car.

While he's driving, he keeps on smiling to himself. He's been smiling to himself for like, 5 minutes?

"You're weird." I say.

"Weird?" He stops smiling and takes a quick glance at me.

"Yes. You've been smiling to yourself since we left your house." I say, and he regains his smile. "I'm just happy." He says.

"Why are you so happy?" I ask, not understanding what can make him so happy that he's been smiling to himself for minutes.

"I don't know, but I just feel happy." His answer kind of annoys me, but because of his ridiculous smile and happiness, I can't help to smile too. Then I remember something.

"Why don't you want your mother to have dinner with us?" I ask.

"I want to have you all alone." I hit him lightly for his cheesiness, and he just laughs. Mother Yan sure understands her son well.

He brings me to a beach. There's a boathouse restaurant there, and we have our dinner at the restaurant. The food there is expensive, but since Aaron always eat those food selling by the street or small shops and restaurants with me, I should also eat at wherever he brings me to.

After dinner, we went for a walk along the beach. The trees on the beach are covered in LED lights, and there are benches and cabanas that allows people to have a rest. We sit down on a bench. He puts his hand around me and I lie my head down on his shoulder and hugs him by his waist. I close my eyes, feeling his warmth and the night breeze.

"There's something I want to tell you." He says. I tilt my head and look at him. He's looking at me expressionless. I wonder what he wants to tell me, and I patiently wait for him to continue.

After minutes of silence and staring at each other, he continues.

"I want to tell you about my past. About my ex-girlfriend."

***

1 A 2012 Romance Movie based on True Story
2The Vow Movie lead Male Character played by Channing Tatum
3The Vow Movie lead Female Character played by Rachel McAdams