Chapter 21: Unknown Guest

CHERISH OUR TIME

Ying Jie’s POV

“Okay. Call when you reached. Bye.”

I hang up the phone. Xiao Xun called to tell me that she’s coming to see me tomorrow. She said she’s bringing Sheng Yi too, since he knows about my condition. I haven’t talk to him ever since I told him that I want to break up with him. I wonder how I should face him tomorrow.

Aaron came back, looking tired. I asked him what happened, but he didn’t tell me. He just says that nothing serious happened and tells me not to worry. I just nod and didn’t ask further, as he looks really tired. I wanted to tell him about Xiao Xun’s visit tomorrow, but decided not to. I just told him that I wanted to sleep, since he’ll only sleeps after I said I’ll sleep. I can see that he’s really tired, and this is the only solution that will make him sleep early.

The next morning, he went back home for a shower and then he went to work. That’s his usual routine ever since I started chemotherapy. Then during the afternoon, Xiao Xun, Xiao Yu and Sheng Yi came, after I told them the hospital and the ward number. Xiao Xun and Xiao Yu keep on telling me lots of things that had happened to them, but Sheng Yi just stay silent. At 6PM, Xiao Xun and Xiao Yu left to buy some dinner, whereas Sheng Yi just stays in the ward, with me. It’s really awkward not talking to each other for few hours. After the 2 of them left, he started to talk to me.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” He asks, straightforwardly. I decided to tell him the truth, since he already knew half of it.

"You've succeeded in making me forget you." He said after I told him everything.

"Sorry that I hurt you."

"You should be." He said, staring at me angrily. I gulp. Then his lips form into a smile.

"I heard from the doctor that you're getting better. At least you're fine now." He says, still smiling at me. I smile back at him. At least we can still be friends.

He told me his story with his ex-girlfriend, not me, but the girl he dated after me. Apparently, they broke up after 3 months. He says he did love her, but because of some problems, they decided to go on their separate ways.

Aaron came in with a plastic bag, which is probably his dinner. He always bought dinner here and eat here. I introduce them to each other. I thought they will be awkward with each other, but no, they talked as if they were buddies. I'm glad that they don’t feel awkward with each other, since one is my ex-boyfriend, and the other my current boyfriend.

After a while, Xiao Xun and Xiao Yu came back with their dinner, and the nurse brings in my dinner too. We eat our dinner together and talk. It's been so long since I have dinner with a group of people.

At 8PM, Sheng Yi, Xiao Xun and Xiao Yu left. They are staying in Skye High, but I'm not sure it will be clean for them since I have been staying in the hospital for 5 months.

Now it's the two of us left. We are doing what we do usually. Talking, showing me something, telling me funny stories, accompanying me to watch dramas. We've been doing the same thing for the past 5 months, and I don't get bored.

During the 6th month, it's still the same. Xiao Xun and Xiao Yu have gone back to Taichung, but Sheng Yi stayed in Taipei, since he has opened a restaurant in Taipei. He's busy with his restaurant, but he visits me sometimes.

 Dr Koh says that my condition is getting better, and if it continues, I might be cured by my 8th month. He said that I'm his first patient to be cured within 1 year if I'm really cured at my 8th month. I'm glad and happy that I'm getting better, and it's all thanks to Dr Koh, and Aaron. They gave me hope.

Someone knock on the door and came in after Dr Koh left. It's a girl, and the shocking thing is, she looks like me. Is she... Aaron's ex-girlfriend? Aaron did mention to me that his ex-girlfriend and I have similar looks.

"Hi, you are?" I ask. She sits down on the chair beside my bed. She keeps on looking at me, making me feel weird. So she's not going to answer me? I asked her the same question again.

"Aaron's girlfriend." She says. Yes, I'm surprised by her words, and I feel a pang of sadness. But maybe she thinks that she's still Aaron's girlfriend since she left without telling him anything 2 years ago. I try to comfort myself.

"You look like me." She says, still using her big eyes and look at me. I'm getting creep out by her. Suddenly, she smiles and looks down.

"It means that Aaron still loves me." She says softly to herself, but I am able to catch what she's saying. Then she looks back at me again.

“I know you’re Aaron’s other girlfriend. I’m his girlfriend too. He’s cheating on you. But I’m not here to tell you to stay away from him.” She says. I keep on telling myself that I trust him, that this girl here is not his another girlfriend.

“I’m just here to tell you that Aaron loves me, and not you. You are just a replacement of me. He just finds someone that looks like me so that he will always think of me. He doesn’t love you.”

That’s not true! I wanted to shout at her, but I can’t seem to do so. Aaron has told me about her, but he says that he loves me because of me, and not because I look like her. Or am I wrong? No! I trust him. I trust him. I trust him.

“I have told you what I wanted to tell you, so I need to go now. Just to let you know, I have a date with Aaron later this evening.” She stands up, and continues, “He might give you excuses on why he’s late in coming to find you later, but I don’t like him lying to you. So I come here to be honest with you. Goodbye, for now, my replacement.”

After she left, I think back at what she said.

 

I’m his girlfriend too.

You are just a replacement of me.

 He doesn’t love you.

I have a date with Aaron later this evening.

 

She mentions that she’s having a date with Aaron, is that true? I called Aaron to make sure that all she said was not true, but he didn’t pick up his phone. Maybe he’s just busy. Busy for what? Preparing for a date with her? No, I shake of all my thoughts. I need to think positively, and not get affected by what she says. Aaron loves me, or else he won’t do so much things for me right? But my mind keeps drifts back to what she said earlier. Deciding to distract myself, I switch on the MacBook and watch some dramas.

The nurse came in with my dinner. Then I realise that the time is already 7:30PM. Aaron hasn’t come yet. He usually comes at 6:30PM. I can’t help but think that he might be having a date with the girl earlier. I reach for my phone beside the bed and press his numbers.

Before I can press the green button, my message tone rings. It’s from Aaron. I open up the message and read.

 

From Aaron Baby ♥
I’m still at work. I’ll go and find you once I finish my work. Don’t worry and have your dinner first.

 

He said he’s still at work. Maybe he’s really at work, and not what the girl said earlier. I even said ‘Maybe’. No, he’s really at work. I think to myself. How can I doubt him?

At 9PM, he came. He’s still like his usual self, doing what he always does. But this time, I’m not like myself. I keep thinking of what the girl said earlier. I don’t even know her name.

“What’s wrong?” He asks. He must have sense that I’m thinking of something. I contemplate whether to tell him about the girl earlier. But if I tell him, doesn’t that mean that I don’t trust him? I look at him, and he’s still waiting for me to answer him. I shake my head, telling him that there’s nothing wrong. I don’t want to tell him, I don’t want him to think that I don’t trust him. Pushing all those negative thoughts and what the girl said earlier away, I smile at him and continue what we are doing.