Chapter 5: New Job for a New Life

CHERISH OUR TIME

 

Ying Jie’s POV

This is it. This is the start of my new life in Taipei.

I’m now standing outside of Yan Design and Constructions Building. The building is huge, around twenty to thirty storeys. I walk in, and was in awe. The interior design is beautiful. There’s café with nature theme, with fake branches of trees and fake vines which looks real to me, and tables and seats made of wood and vines, then there’s a lounging area with relaxing theme, with bed sofas, comfy tables and scented candles, and there’s a children’s play area with beach theme. It’s a company, not a hotel or some shopping mall. Why is there a children’s play area? I thought to myself weirdly. Then there’s a uniquely designed reception desk, which is also the same theme as the café. In overall, it looks like an island theme to me.  I walk towards the uniquely designed reception desk.

“Welcome to Yan Design and Constructions. How may I help you?” The receptionist greeted before I could say anything.

“I’m here for a job interview.”

“Please fill in this application form.” She passed me an application form and a pen. I filled in the form and passed it back to her. She took the form and then typed something into the computer. Then, she passes me back my application form and a visitor pass.

“Miss Wu, please proceed to the elevator and go to the eighth floor. Good luck with your interview.” The receptionist said politely.

“Thank you.”

I walked towards the elevator. There aren’t many people at this time, so it is not very crowded, and I do not need to wait for a long time to get on the elevator.

“Miss, which floor?” A man who gets on the same elevator with me asked me.

“Eighth. Thank you.”

“First level HR Department. Are you here for a job interview?”

“Yes.”

“What job are you interviewing for?” The man asked. Why is he asking so many questions?

“Um… I’m not really sure.” I answered, frankly. I really do not know which job I should interview for. I just need a job that I’m comfortable with, and able to earn just the right amount of money for my… last year.

“How can you not sure yourself?”

“I-” Before I could answer him, the elevator reached eighth floor. He presses on the ‘open’ button for me to get off.

“Well, good luck for your interview.” I turn around. The man smiled at me before the door close. This company sure have lots of friendly staffs. The receptionist, the man in the elevator with me, and Aaron. Speaking of Aaron, I forgotten that I have gave him my phone number yesterday, and I have not switched it on since I talked to Xiao Xun. I wonder if he had called or texted me. I put my hand into my bag to reach out for my phone, but I can’t seem to reach it. Right, I left it in the hotel. A voice interrupts my thought.

“Miss, are you here for an interview?” A lady came to me and asked.

“Yes.”

“Please follow me.”

I followed the lady to a meeting room. I thought there are people who will be waiting for me and will interview me, but no. The meeting room is empty. Is the lady who brought me here interviewing me?

“Please take a seat. The person who will be interviewing you will be in here shortly. Would you like a cup of coffee?” Oh, so she’s not interviewing me.

“A cup of water would be fine. Thank you.” Then she walked out of the room. Now I’m the only one left in this meeting room. I look around, the meeting room is just the same as the other meeting rooms, a long table with lots of chairs, a big screen, and a projector. Nothing uniquely designed, unlike the first floor of the building.

After a few seconds, the lady came back with a cup of water. She put it on the table for me and then leaves the meeting room. I took a few sips of the water. I’m waiting in the meeting room, and nothing to do. My mind brings me back to a few days ago, about my new friend, Xiao Xun, Xiao Yu, and Sheng Yi. A drop of water falls on my pants. I realise it’s my tears. I quickly rub it away. I can’t cry. I need to forget. Cry should be in my Not-to-do list of my new life.

Someone came in. I look up at the person. A lady in mid-thirties stands across me. She must be the person who is going to interview me. She looks at me, with a frown. Oh no, where are my manners? I’m still sitting down. I stand up immediately.

“Welcome to Yan Design and Constructions. Can I have your application form?” Even though I’m a little rude just a while ago, she’s still talking to me in a polite manner. I quickly pass her my application form. She briefly looks through my application form.

“Miss Wu. You’re going to work as the CEO’s secretary. ” CEO’s secretary?! I did not state that I have any experience in being a secretary. Besides, I haven’t started working in this company, and they already wanted me to work as the CEO’s secretary? I thought being a secretary of a high position needs to work as a secretary of other directors of the different department first? She didn’t even interview me yet, and she’s hiring me already?

“Is there any problem with that?” She asked me. I guess she must have seen my uneasy expression.

“Um… I have no experience in being a secretary. I do not know whether I will be able to do well. Besides, I do not really like secretary work.” I answered her, as a matter of fact. I know it’s kind of rude, but I can’t accept a job that I’m not really into it.

 “Oh okay. I won’t force you into taking a job you don’t like. I would not like it too. Hold on.” She went out. Such a nice employee they have here. She did not get mad at me for being rude.

Few minutes later, she came back in.

“Miss Wu, may I know what kind of job would you like?” Huh? She’s hiring me for any job that I want?

“Um… I’m not sure myself. But I like designing. Perhaps you could get me a job that includes designing?”

“Sure. There’s interior designer, industrial designer, apparel designer, and product designer. Which would you like?” Apparel designer? Product Designer? Isn’t this company only design and constructs building, according to the name of the company. My god, I should have research on this company before making my way here.

“I have studied about interior design in my senior high school. I think interior designer should suit me.”

“Okay. So when can you start work?”

“As soon as possible.”

“How about tomorrow?”

“Sure.”

She writes down something on the papers she brought in earlier. Should be the contract I guess. She passed it to me after that.

“Please look through this six month contract. Your working hours is from 9:30AM to 6PM. You will be working in the Interior Design department. It’s on the twenty-second floor. Since tomorrow is your first day of work, I need you to report at 9AM. Report to Mrs Li. She’ll get you familiar around the workplace. If there’s no problem with the contract, please sign it at the last page.”

I listen to her and then look through the contract. It should not be much of a problem. I took the pen and sign it. I pass back to her.

“Welcome to Yan Design and Constructions.” She took a hand out. I shake my hands with her.

Now, I have a job. Thanks to my Aaron, for introducing me to this company. I shall thank him when I get back to the hotel.

Now that’s left in my new life is a new home.