Chapter 26: Recovery

CHERISH OUR TIME

Aaron’s POV

I walk towards Ying Jie’s ward with lots of bags in my hand. I’m going to surprise her.

She’s discharging today. Her chemotherapy is successful, and she’s fully recovered, which is really rare –based on what Dr. Koh said– with Ying Jie’s case. She doesn’t know that she’s discharging today, that is why I wanted to surprise her wither her favourite food and some of her clothes.

“What are those?” She asked, pointing to the bags that I’m holding. That’s the first thing she said and asked when I walked in.

“These?” I asked her back while holding up the bags. She nods, and I put down some of the bags, holding on to those that are packed with her favourite food. I take out 3 boxes, which contains egg crepe, scallion pancakes and beef noodle soup, and put it in front of her.

“These are my favourites! Are you having a party by yourself? You know I can’t have these foods, right?”

I just smile and didn’t say anything. I took the chopsticks and take some of the egg crepe and stops right in front of . I can see she gulp down her saliva and look away.

“You are a bad boyfriend. You are torturing me.” She said, and I can’t help but laugh. I decided to stop teasing her and just tell her the truth.

“These are for you, my dear.”

“For me?” She turned around and looks at me. I nod.

“I’ve got Dr. Koh’s permission. Besides…” I said, and lean in closer to her ear. “You are discharging today.”

“Discharging? Really?!” She asked, excitement in her voice.

“Yes.”

“Great!” She shouts. It’s great to see that she’s become so energetic, since she’s so weak and tired during her chemotherapy for the past 9 months. I’m happy to see this lively Ying Jie.

But her mood changed suddenly. She looks down, depressed. “So… am I… recovered?” She asked, her head still hung low. Then I knew why. She’s worried that she’s not recovered, and was discharged because the chemotherapy can’t help her to recover from Leukemia anymore.

I cupped her cheeks and force her to look up at me. “Yes, you’re fully recovered.”

Her facial expression remains the same, expressionless. Then slowly, her lips curved and she began smiling. “Yay!” She shouts out loud. She then took the chopsticks and started stuffing the food I brought inside .

“Slow down! I don’t want you choking on the food!” I said, holding onto her chopsticks.

“Okay, okay! I will! I still wanted to try lots and lots of different foods that I have not gotten to eat for these 9 months! God! These are so delicious! I love these foods!” She chewed and swallowed before she says. She sounds really happy. I laugh at her cuteness.

“So you love these foods, and not me, the person who brought these?” I asked, pointing to the food.

“Hmm, I guess so.” She said. I know she’s playing along with me. I pretend to be mad, showing her my ‘angry’ expression. She looks at me and laughs.

“You know that I love you more than anything.”

***

"Why are we here?" She asked when I pulled up at the company. We had just leave the hospital, and didn't drive her straight home but here. Why? Well, I have some important work to be done, and I want her to stay with me. Besides, I can't drive her home and leave just like that, because I have prepared a surprise for her later on.

"Actually, I have some important work to be done." I told her the truth, but I know she will ask me why she should be here too.

"But why am I here too? You can bring me home first." See, I’m right.

"Because I'm worried. The doctor said that you have just recovered and discharged from hospital, and need extra care since there might be some side effects from the chemotherapy." I said, which is true though. The doctor has given me clear instructions to take care of her when she's discharged since many patients which have recovered from Leukemia have some symptoms like feeling nausea and vomiting for few days, or even weeks! I'm really worried that she'll have these symptoms after I left her alone, and no one taking care of her.

"You're worrying too much! I can take care of myself, you know."

"Yes, I know. But the doctor has given me instructions not to leave you alone. So stop complaining and come with me."

We went straight up to my office. I can hear her giving out a sigh after we reached my office. I can't help but laugh softly at her. She turned to me and shot me a glare. It immediately stops my laughter.

"I'm glad that it's lunch time now." she said.

She's been feeling nervous all the way up to my office. The reason is that she's not ready to meet some of the colleagues and friends she's been working with before. It is not that she will definitely see them, but she's afraid that she might coincidentally see them.

After she said that, she stands up and walks around the room.

"Wow, your office is huge." She said. Right, she has not been to my office before. This is the first time she's here. She walks to the fish tank just beside my personal washroom. "Even your fish tank is huge! Oh look! A Nemo! And there's also Dory!" she says excitedly while pointing to a clownfish and a pacific regal blue tang. She turns to me excitedly. "Have you feed the fishes?" she asked. I shrug and answered, "I don't know. Mr. Kang feeds them most of the time. You have to ask him."

"What? Poor Mr. Kang. He had to feed the fishes as part of his work too." she said while shaking her head disapprovingly at me. She can't blame me for having him to feed my fishes. I'm always busy with work, and I tend to forget to feed the fishes most of the time, which led to many fishes dying in just a few days! I had no choice but to ask Mr. Kang to feed the fishes for me. I told her.

"Aw… Poor fishes. How could you forget to feed them?" What? Now she thinks of the poor fishes, but not me? She walks towards me and pecks on my lips. "I'm just playing with you. Don't be jealous over the fishes." she says. I didn't know I have actually show signs that I am jealous, over fishes! For god's sake! I can't believe I am jealous over fishes!

"You know I'm jealous, so you have to compensate for making me jealous over 'poor' fishes." I said and put my lips on hers. I'm trying to deepen the kiss but she pulled away. "You should start working, or else I'm going to stay here with you for a long period of time doing some random things like watching the TV or flipping some magazines! And by then, I'll be bored to death!"

***

It's 7:13PM when I finished my work. I pack up my stuffs, and walk towards the bed. Yes, bed. I have a bed in my office just in case I have to work the whole day in my office, and I can rest and sleep on the bed here to regain my energy.

Ying Jie’s now asleep on the bed. I’ve told her to sleep earlier just now since she’s keep yawning and dozing off while watching the TV. I shook her lightly to wake her up.

“Hmm…” She responds without opening her eyes.

“Wake up sweetheart. Time to go home.” I whisper in her ears. She squirms and turns to the other side, back facing me. “I’m tired. Let me sleep.”

Sigh… It’s already 7:20PM and I have to bring her back to the apartment for the surprise. She looks tired, and I can’t bear to just wake her up. I guess I can only do one thing.

“What are you doing?” She asks, with eyes wide opened after I carried her in my arms. It saddens me when I realize she’s been so light since the last time I carried her.

“Carrying you? Just sleep. I’ll carry you to the car.”

“No, I’m awake now. Just put me down. I’ll walk by myself.”

“Too late! I’m bringing you back to the car like this.” I said and smile, take my briefcase and ran straight to the elevator.

***

Ying Jie’s POV

“SURPRISE!”

Whoa! I walked in and was greeted by Xiao Xun, Xiao Yu, Sheng Yi, Ya Tou, Jiro, Calvin, Chun, Wei Yu, Hong Shi, Yao Yao and Apple. All of them came forward and hugged me.

“Welcome home Ying Jie.”

“Yeah, welcome home!”

“We’ve prepared a lot of food for you.”

“Actually, it’s from Sheng Yi’s restaurant.”

“But we made some ourselves.”

“T…Thank you guys.” I said to them, grateful to have them as my friends.

“Come on, let’s eat!” Xiao Xun said, and pushed me and Aaron to the table.

***

I was sitting down, feeling the breeze outside the balcony when I heard someone knocking on the balcony doors. I turned around.

“Well, it’s good to have you back, healthy and jumping.” He said, sitting himself down beside me.

“Thank you.”

“You’ve got a nice apartment. I didn’t manage to tell you the last time, so… Thank you for letting me stayed here for a few days during that period.”

“You’re welcome. Besides, it’s Aaron’s apartment. The one you should thank is him.” I say, looking out and feeling the breeze.

“He’s really a nice man.” He said, looking in from the balcony to the living room. I turn towards his gaze. Aaron is having his time with his buddies. They claim that he’s been missing out a lot of their lives, so they need some “bromance” time.

“Yes.” I said and smile when Aaron turn towards to me. He smiles back too.

“Do you regret it?” He asked. I turn to him. Regret? Regret what?

“Huh?”

“Do you regret leaving Taichung? Do you regret rejecting my proposal? Do you regret leaving me?” He asked, looking intently at me. I can see sadness in his eyes.

“Well… I…” I do not know how to answer him. I turn away from him. I know I’ve hurt him. But that’s the past right? He even got himself a girlfriend after I left. He said that he loved her. He should be happy, just like me.

But his question makes me think, what if I know that I might have a chance of getting recovered from leukemia? I know I will accept his proposal. I loved him. And Aaron… I might not even have a chance to meet him, get to know him, and love him.

I turn back to him, he’s still waiting for my answer. “I feel guilty, guilty for hurting you. I’m sorry. But… I do not regret it. Leaving Taichung led me to meet a wonderful man, and feel what love is really like. I loved you back then, really. But the feeling of loving you and Aaron is different. I like the feeling of loving Aaron, and being loved by him. And if it’s not because of him, I would probably never go through any treatment, and maybe I’m already not in this world by this time. He gave me strength to face it, he supported me through the whole thing.”

“I will actually do the same, if you let me know in the first place.”

“I know you would. I do. And I’m sorry.” I said, feeling sorry for everything I’ve said, for everything I’ve done to him. I turn my head back to face the scenery.

“Well… I’m glad you’re happy now.” He said. I turn to him and saw him smiling. This time, I can see he’s really happy for me.

“Thanks Sheng Yi. You’ll always have a place in my heart.”

“Really? Do I have a bigger portion of it?” He asked, and I can hear playfulness in his voice.

“Well… no.” I said, and both of us started to burst into laughter.

Thank you Sheng Yi. Thank you for everything.

***

A/N:

Ta-dah! Chapter 26! Happy chapter! :)

Sorry for the long wait! It's been more than a month, I know.

I hope I didn't lose any readers, though I know I deserved to :(

FYI, more drama coming up in the next few chapters. 

Appreciate all encouraging comments. Thank you. 

HottestPudding signing off xoxo