Chapter 29: The Truth Hurts

CHERISH OUR TIME

Aaron’s POV

I can’t believe what I heard. I’m dreaming, aren’t I? It’s not true, is it? I step on the accelerator to increase the speed.

-Flashback-

“What… When did you know this? How long have you know about this?”

“I… Two months.”

-End of Flashback-

I can’t believe what Ying Jie has said. She knew the truth and she didn’t tell me! How could she?!

-Flashback-

“Lun, see that? Don’t you think they are cute?” Rainie pointed to the bunch of children playing at the playground.

“Yes, they are. Why? Are you thinking of having a family now?” I said, teasing her, and also hinting her that I’m probably going to propose to her soon.

“Huh? You think I’ll marry you?” She said, and my confidence in getting her to agree to my possible marriage proposal dropped.

“Who else will you marry other than me?”

“Hmm… Maybe some other guy? You can’t predict the future you know.” She said, and my mood drop. Maybe now isn’t the right time to propose. But I’ll try hard to let her agreed to my proposal. Yes, that’s what I’ll do.

"Lun!”

“Hmm?”

“ You know I always love you no matter what happens right?"

"Of course Rainie. I can see it in your eyes. I love you as much as you do."

"Then promise me... That you'll always have me in your heart, no matter what happens."

She lets out her pinky, waiting for me to seal the promise. I smiled at her. Without hesitation, I sealed the promise, because I know I'll always love her, and she'll always have my heart.

-End of Flashback-

I keep on pressing the doorbell, hoping she’s in there, hoping she’ll quickly open the door, and hoping she’s healthy.

“Aaron? What are you-”

“Is it true?” I asked before she even completed her sentence. I need to know whether everything Ying Jie told me is true, whether Rainie really gave up on me, because she has Leukemia, and not because she just dumped me for her dream, which all of us believed.

She remained silent, and I can see her tears are threatening to fall down from her eyes. I know that means that everything that I know now, is true.

“Come.” I said and drag her out of her house, not giving her any chance to reject.

“Where are we going?” She asked. I didn’t answer and just forced her to go to the place with me.

***

We’re at the park where we always spend time together in the past. The place filled with our memories.

“Don’t go to the States. I’ll find a better doctor in Taipei.” I said, trying to convince her to stay in Taipei.

“What if you can’t?” She asked, and that left me silent. I know she’s going to the States for treatment, but I don’t want her to leave Taipei. There’s a strange feeling inside me when Ying Jie told me she’s leaving for the States, and I know, if she’s staying here, where I can see her, I won’t have that strange feeling anymore.

“Then I’ll go with you.” I say. My words must have surprised her, as she only stares at me, no words are spoken.

“When are you leaving?” I ask, since she doesn’t say anything.

“Tomorrow morning.”

After she answers me, I take out my phone and call Mr Kang, telling him to prepare everything. “Mr Kang, book tomorrow morning’s flight to the States for me. Just find a way to get it. And cancel all my appointments from tomorrow.”

“Aaron! You can’t just go with me to the States!” She says after I end the call. I look at her, “I can. I said earlier, I will go with you.”

“Why?” She asks, and it left me speechless. Why? Because of the strange feelings inside me?

“Then… what about Ying Jie?” She asks as she sees me not answering her question. I thought about Ying Jie. We argued earlier. I shouted at her. I shouted at her because she didn’t tell me when she knew about Rainie for the past two months. She cried, and I left her alone.

“Ying Jie… She’ll understand.”

***

Ying Jie’s POV

I wake up at the sound of the doorbell. I walk to the door and open it. It’s Sheng Yi.

“Sheng Yi, what brings you here?”  I ask as I make way for him to walk in. I can feel his gaze on me, but I chose to ignore it. I close the door and head to the kitchen to pour him a glass of water. I head to the living room where he’s seated and puts the glass of water in front of him.

“You’ve been crying.” He says as I took a seat beside him. It must be because my eyes are puffy, because he keeps looking at me. I look somewhere else, not meeting his gaze. “You haven’t answered my question.”

“Aaron asked me to check on you.” He says. I nod. Aaron doesn’t want to face me after yesterday, I guess. Of course, I have hid the secret of his ex-girlfriend from him for two months. He must be mad at me- no, he is already mad at me, because from his tone and loud voice yesterday, I know he is really mad at me.

“Now you’ve seen me, you can tell him that I’m perfectly fine.” I say with sarcasm. If he really wants to know how I was doing he should be here to check it himself instead of asking a favour from Sheng Yi to check on me. Even if he can’t face me, even if he’s mad at me, he should have replied my texts or calls. I’ve called and texted him so many times last night, and what did I get? No replies, no calls answered. “If you’re here because of his favour, then you can leave now.”

Before he could say something, I hear my phone rings. I walk back to the bedroom and answer the phone call. “Hello?”

“Ying Jie! Oh my god you picked up! Is my brother with you?” I recognise Ya Tou’s voice without asking who the caller is. She sounds desperate, but why would she thinks that he’s with me? Isn’t he supposed to be at work now?

“No.”

“Didn’t you go to the States?”

Huh? Why would she think that I go to the States? Wait a minute, States? Rainie’s going to the States for treatment. Don’t tell me…

“Mom is very furious right now. He left his work unattended and cancelled all his scheduled meetings and appointments! Mr Kang just said that he’s leaving to the States. I called my brother but his phone is switched off. We thought the both of you went for a vacation without informing anyone, so I called you up.”

My hand suddenly went numb, and the grip on my phone loosens. My phone drops to the floor, and I stood there frozen.

“Ying Jie! Did something happen?” I heard Sheng Yi’s voice. I turned around, and he’s crouching down and picks up the pieces of my phone.

“Aaron… He left… With Rainie…”