Chapter 12: Meeting between Old Friends & New Friends

CHERISH OUR TIME

Ying Jie’s POV

“Huh? Now? I thought both of you are coming tomorrow?” I check the date on my computer. 12th September 2012. She said that she’s coming with Xiao Yu on 13th September last week.

"Yes, but we miss you, so we decided to come a day early." She says. I miss them too.

"Are you still working? Can we go and find you?" She asks.

"Yeah I'm still at work. Um..." I look at the time on the computer, 4:43PM. Then I continue, "I've got about an hour left till I end my work today. Why not you go to my apartment first?"

"Sure. Text us the address and the place you put your spare keys. Bye, see you later!" She says and hangs up. I took the documents and my phone and head up to find Ao Quan, Mr Creepy. I text the address and the door code to her on my way up.

I walk to his desk, but he's not there. I ask Wei Lian, an architect II, where is he. He tells me that he went to the IT department as he have problems with his company laptop and will be back after it's been resolved. Knowing that he might be there for a long time, I leave the documents on his desk and heads back down to continue my work.

I finish my necessary work ten minutes early today. Since I don't have anything to do now, I ask Mrs Li for permission to end work early, and she agrees. I walk back to my desk, take my bag, bid goodbye to my colleagues, and leave.

I open the door to the apartment, and see Xiao Yu and Xiao Xun sitting on the couch watching the television. They turn and look at me.

"You're back! I miss you my best friend!" Xiao Xun walks over and hugs me. I return the hug. Same goes to Xiao Yu.

Xiao Xun pulls me to the couch and she told me about what happens during these months. Xiao Yu knew that I have leukemia, and said it accidentally slips out from their conversation, but only the 2 of them knows. I'm grateful that they didn't tell granny. They helped me to visit her once or twice a month, and I thanked them for that. She also told me that Sheng Yi has gotten himself a girlfriend. I smile at the news. I'm happy that he's gotten a girlfriend and moved on from me.

"If you're sad, don't force yourself to smile." She says. The truth is I'm not sad. Yes, I loved him in the past, but that's the past. I left him, I broke his heart, and he deserves someone better. Besides, I love someone else now.

"I'm smiling because I'm happy, really happy for him." I say. The both of them looks at me intently, observing whether I'm really happy or just faking it. I laugh, as the both of them are giving me funny expressions. Then, they give out a sigh of relief.

"We were actually scared that you'll be really sad when you hear the news." Xiao Yu says. Then they continue telling me the things that happens in Taichung.

I'm now preparing dinner for them. Xiao Xun wanted to help, but I stopped her. She's a real disaster in the kitchen. I don't want the kitchen to caught fire or explode. I just ask her to join Xiao Yu in watching soccer match.

I'm preparing to cook the second dish when the doorbell rings. I ask Xiao Xun to help me see who it is since I'm cooking.

"Ying Jie! There's a guy named Aaron at the door!"

Aaron? Why is he here?

***

Aaron's POV

I miss Ying Jie. The last time I saw her was last Monday, and after that day, she's becoming very busy. Though I'm the CEO, I can't stop her from working overtime since the client of the project she's taking is a big client, who is also grandma's friend. He wanted it to be done within this year, so people working on the project are rushing it through.

I look at my watch. It's 6. I've just came back from the construction site of the shopping mall that Yan D&C is constructing, and finished everything that needed to be done by today. Wanting to see Ying Jie, I go down to the twenty-second floor to look for her.

The elevator reaches twenty-second floor. I hesitate to walk out. I don’t know what to say to her. Because I miss her, so I decided to come down and see her? I shake my head. I’ll scare her if I tell her that! But friends can also miss each other right?

“Mr Yan, are you coming out?”

I look over to the person who said that. It’s Ya Tou, and she’s with some other employees. All of them are looking at me, and seems like waiting for me to go out. I walk out of the elevator and let them in. Before the elevator door close, she continues, “Ying Jie has gone home by the way.”

I turn over to look at her, but the door has closed. I walk towards her desk to check it. She’s really gone home. I thought she is working overtime nowadays? But it’s nice to hear that she didn’t work overtime with the architect today. Since she went has already gone home, I decided to go to Skye High and see her, and maybe I can have dinner with her.

I’m now standing outside the door, holding few bags. I bought her favourite egg crepe and pearl milk tea. I press on the doorbell. I’m surprise when someone I don’t know opens the door. I look at her confused. She gives me the same look.

“Are you looking for Ying Jie? She’s cooking. May I know who are you?” She asks.

“Yes. I’m Aaron.” After I said that, she shouts to Ying Jie, then she gives way for me to go in. I walk in and saw a guy sitting on the couch in the living room. He nods at me, I nods back. Then I walk towards the dining table and put the bags on the table.

“Aaron! What are you doing here?” Ying Jie asks while cooking.

“I heard you didn’t work overtime today, and was wondering whether I can have dinner with you. It seems like you have guests. Sorry to bother you. I bought your favourite egg crepe and pearl milk tea. I’ll just leave now.”

“Stay for dinner. My friends won’t mind.” She smiles and me and look at her friends. I look at her friends too, and they nods. She turns off the stove and walk towards me. She introduces her friends to me and also introduces me to her friends. We talk while Ying Jie is taking the food out to the dining table. The guy earlier on the couch, Xiao Yu, is the girl’s, Xiao Xun, boyfriend. They came to Taipei for a few days to see Ying Jie.

“I’ll help you take the rice.” I say and stand up to help Ying Jie when she walks back to take the rice. She smiles and allows me to help her.

During the dinner, I am suddenly reminded of the Annual Dinner and Dance. Xiao Xun and Xiao Yu are staying in Taipei until this Sunday. They can go to the Dinner and Dance, or maybe Ying Jie has already asks them, since all staff are able to bring up to 3 friends with them.

“Are both of you going to the D&D this Saturday?” I ask them. The both of them look at me as if they don’t know what I’m talking about. Ying Jie hasn’t told them?

“What D&D?” Xiao Xun asks.

“Yan D&C Dinner and Dance. Ying Jie didn’t tell you?” I look over to Ying Jie. She seems uneasy. Did I make her uneasy? . I hope I didn’t say anything wrong.

***

Ying Jie’s POV

“Dinner and Dance?! Ying Jie! Why didn’t you tell us?!” Xiao Xun shouts excitedly.

Oh my god! Why did he have to bring up the D&D to them? Xiao Xun loves these kinds of events. I didn’t tell them because I know I don’t have a suitable dress and I have no time to get it.

“I didn’t think you two want to go.” I say, lying. She gives me a don’t-you-lie-to-me look. Sigh, she knows me too well.

“Okay. I don’t think I have the time to find dresses. Besides, I want to spend time with both of you.” Actually, there’s a newly added reason why I don’t want to go. It’s because of Mr Creepy. I found out earlier that the Interior Design Department and Architecture Department are sitting together for dinner that day. But I’m not going to tell them that.

“You can spend time with us there too.” Xiao Xun states. She’s right though.

“Don’t worry about the dress. I’ll help you get it.” Aaron says. I look at him, surprise by his words. How is he going to get it for me?

“So are you going? I really want to go. If you’re not going, then I’m not able to go.” Xiao Xun says, giving me a sad face. I do not like people giving me sad faces, so I nod at her. Then say to Aaron, “But I’ll find time to get a dress for myself. You don’t have to get it for me.”

Aaron frowns at me for a while, and then gives me a smile.

***

Aaron’s POV

“So are you going? I really want to go. If you’re not going, then I’m not able to go.” Xiao Xun asks her. I look at her, waiting for her answer. I really hope she can go. I have planned to confess to her that day. I planned it yesterday, with my buddies giving me tips. If she didn’t go, then my plan will not be successful.

She nods. I’m really happy that she’s going, but her next words make me frown.

“But I’ll find time to get a dress for myself. You don’t have to get it for me.” She says. She doesn’t want my help? Or did I scare her? I don’t want to scare her! She looks at me. I take away my frown and replace it with a smile.

After dinner, Ying Jie and Xiao Yu are washing the dishes. Xiao Xun and I are at the living room.

“You like her.” She says. Is it really that obvious?

“I can see from the way you look at her.” She answers the question in my mind.

“Yes, I like her. In fact, I love her.”

“Does she know?”

“No. I’m planning to confess this Saturday.”

“Oh, no wonder you seem panic when she actually didn’t intend to go.” She says and laughs.

“Yeah.” I admits, a little embarrass.

“Well, I’m not sure whether you’ll succeed or not.” She murmurs, but I manage to hear every word of it. Her statement makes me frown. Maybe Ying Jie likes someone, so she thinks I don’t have a chance? I feel down suddenly. Maybe I don’t have a chance at all.

“I give you the best of luck. I hope you’ll succeed.” She wishes me and gives me a sincere smile. I wonder did she realise I heard what she murmurs just now. Even though she wishes me good luck, it does not lift up my spirits at all. But still, I thank her for that.

I reach home and head straight to my bathroom and have a shower. I can’t help but think back to the words that Xiao Xun said earlier. I’m not sure whether you’ll succeed or not. No! I should not think of the worse.

After I came out from the shower, someone knock on the door. I open it, and it’s Mom. She looks furious.

“Son! You have been pushing the dinner with my friend’s daughter for months! When are you going to meet her?” She states. See? I knew it’s a blind date, and she still gives me the excuse of its just dinner. Sigh.

“I don’t want to attend any blind dates anymore Mom.”

“I told you it’s not a blind date.”

“If it’s not, then why are you so persistent in wanting me to meet her?”

The sentence I said stops her from talking. She remains silent for a moment, and then continues, “Okay I admit! I want you to meet her is because she’s a lovely girl. She’s single, and she has good manners. I like her as my daughter-in-law.” She says. Daughter-in-law? What the… I guess I should tell her now, or else she will keep on forcing me to meet her friend’s daughter.

“Actually Mom, I like someone.” There, I told her. She looks at me, wide eyes.

“You like someone?” She asks for confirmation, and I nod. The she gives me a big smile.

“That’s great! Who is she? Did I meet her before? No wait, is she already your girlfriend?” I laugh at her excited expression.

“No, she’s not my girlfriend, yet. You can see her this Saturday. She’s coming for D&D.”

“Yet! Then ask her to be your girlfriend!” She says, too excited. Oh my.

“I’m planning to. This Saturday.” Then I tell her my plan.

“But I’m not sure whether she feels the same way.” I say, reminded by what Xiao Xun murmurs earlier.

“Oh son! Don’t think of the worse. You should try, or you will never know the outcome. I’m sure you can do it.” She says and gives me an encouraging hug.

“It’s late, I should turn in now. Sleep early son. Good night, and also good luck for this Saturday.”

“Good night Mom.”

I lie down on my bed and think back to the conversation between me and Xiao Xun, and the conversation between me and Mom. Xiao Xun wishes me the best of luck, so maybe I still have the chance, right? And Mom is right, if I do not try, I will never know the outcome. Yes, I have to try, even though there’s a possibility of getting rejected.