Chapter 2: Worried

CHERISH OUR TIME

 

Ying Jie’s POV

The next morning, I took my phone out of my bag and switched it on. I wanted to call to my company, and tell them that I wanted a resignation, and will pass them the resignation letter as soon as possible. The first thing I saw when my phone was switched on was the number of missed calls and new messages. 67 missed calls, 53 new messages. I gather up my courage, and unlock my phone to see all the missed calls and new messages. Most of the missed calls are from Sheng Yi, and the rest are from Xiao Xun and Xiao Yu. It’s the same for the text messages, most are from Sheng Yi, and the rest are from either Xiao Xun or Xiao Yu. Then I opened up all the text messages.

 

From Sheng Yi
Ying Jie. Where are you? Why did you run away?

From Sheng Yi
Maybe you’re still not ready to accept my proposal, but don’t avoid me please.

From Sheng Yi
Ying Jie, I went to your apartment and the neighbours said you have left. Are you leaving me? 

From Sheng Yi
I went into your house with the spare key that you left below the flower pot. It seems empty. Are you really leaving me?

From Xiao Xun
Ying Jie! Where are you? I received a call from Sheng Yi that you have left! What happened to you?

From Xiao Xun
Are you avoiding me too? I’m worried about you! I wanted to know whether you’re safe.

From Xiao Yu
Where the hell are you Ying Jie?! You are making all of us worried!

From Sheng Yi
I know you have switched off your phone, to avoid me. I don’t know the reason why you did this, but you can tell me, frankly. I can take it. If you had read these messages, can you at least call back? Or reply?

 

“I have made them all worried.” I said to myself. I called to the company first and tell them about my resignation. Then I called Xiao Xun.

“Oh my god Ying Jie! You finally called! Where the hell are you anyway?! Do you know we’re all so worried about you?! Sheng Yi has told us everything!”

“I’m fine and perfectly safe.”

“If you’re fine, you would not run away and left us. You would not reject Sheng Yi’s proposal. I know you love him a lot. I’m your best friend, how can I not know? Are you hiding something from me?” I remained silent. I do not know how to answer her. I’m contemplating, whether to tell her the truth or not. “Ying Jie? Are you still there?” I took a deep breath and let out. I decided to tell her the truth. 

“Is someone there with you?” I asked her, checking whether someone was with her. I do not want to let others know.

“No. I’m alone now.”

“Xiao Xun… Actually… I have Leukemia.”

“What?! That’s the reason why you reject his proposal? I’m going to tell him.”

“No! Don’t tell him! I don’t want him to find out!”

“Why? You know he will find out sooner or later. Why not tell him now?”

“I do not want him to suffer that kind of pain, and I do not want him to marry a girl that is going to die.”

“D…Die? It can be cured right?”

“It can… but the probability is low. I can’t risk it.” After a while, I heard sobs. Xiao Xun must have been crying.

“Hey… Don’t cry. I’m not sad now, and I’m not crying over it now. You should not cry too.”

“So… You’re not going to tell Sheng Yi?”

“Yes. And I want you to promise me not to tell him.”

“O…Okay. Ying Jie… You know you can always call me if you have a problem. I know you must have resigned your job too. If you have any difficulties, call me. I’ll try to help.”

“Thank you Xiao Xun.”

After I hung up the phone, I went to the lobby of the hotel, and find somewhere to have my breakfast. Looking at all the menus, it seems delicious, but all are expensive. Knowing that if I have to stay here for a few weeks, I have to spent lesser.