Chapter 27: Shocking News

CHERISH OUR TIME

Ying Jie's POV

I'm on my way to the hospital for my regular checkup when my phone rings. Seeing the caller ID, I smile and answer the call. "I'm reaching in 5 minutes time."

"Miss Wu, this is Mr Kang. Mr Yan is still stuck in his meeting and wants me to pass a message to you saying he's sorry as he's unable to accompany you for your appointment."

"Oh it's okay. Tell him I'll be okay with myself." I say, knowing fully well that Aaron is really busy lately. Something to do with a big project that is to be finish next year. I do not know the full details since he does not wants me back to work yet, saying that I need more rest though I have requested quite a few times to get back to work and said that I have been feeling better. I know the company is rushing to finish the project in time, so I could totally understand him.

"Will pass the message to him."

"Thanks Mr Kang." I said and hang up the call.

***

"Dr Koh is still with a patient. Maybe you could come back in about 10 minutes?" The nurse behind the counter said after she made a phone call to Dr Koh.

"Could I just wait outside his consultation office?" I ask. I would rather be seated down and wait rather than wandering around the hospital for 10 minutes.

"Sure. I'll just inform him about that then."

"Thanks." I said and walk towards Dr Koh's consultation office.

I seated myself down on one of the chairs outside his consultation office. While waiting, I took out my phone and surf the web randomly, reading some news on business, entertainment and fashion section. One of the news in the fashion section caught my attention.

~

R.Y. brand stores are closing down by next month!

Rainie Yang, the famous Italy Fashion Designer and owner of R.Y. brand decides to close down her store, not just in Taipei, but Italy as well!

We had an exclusive interview with Rainie today about her decision. When asked the reason why she has made such a decision, she said that she has made enough money for the rest of her lives and decides to retire now. It's a pity that she's retiring at a young age.

Fans of R.Y. brand must be disappointed with this news, but don't be disappointed this quick yet! Rainie has told us that there will be a clearance sale starting from tomorrow! Grab it while you can! As there won't be any of fashion items coming from the famous R.Y. brand starting from next month!

~

Before I can read finish the news, the door to Dr Koh's consultation office opens, and he walks out with someone that I did not expect to see.

"Rainie?" I whisper to myself, but I know the two of them heard me. They turn towards me and I can see that she's surprise to see me, but I'm more surprise to see her. She turns towards Dr Koh.

"I'll be going off now. Thanks."

"Okay. Make sure you do what I have asked you to do." she nods and turn around, walking away in a fast pace. Automatically, I stand up and walk after her.

"Miss Wu, where are you going?" Dr Koh stops me.

"I'm sorry Dr Koh. I think today's appointment has to be postponed." I said and quickly went after Rainie.

***

"Here's your Iced Latte." I said while taking the drink and put it in front of Rainie. We're in Starbucks now. When I managed to catch up with her, she's already crying. All I could do was to let her cry out, although I do not know what happened to her. After she's stopped crying, she asked me whether I can have a coffee with her, and I agreed. So here we are, at the nearest Starbucks café.

"I'm sorry. Sorry for what I've said and done to you and Aaron." She said.

"It's fine." I said and smile at her. She smiles back at me weakly.

"Well, I've read the news. I'm sure Ya Tou will be disappointed hearing this news. She loves your designs a lot. Won't you regret retiring at such a young age?" I said, trying to change the awkward topic of our conversation.

"I can't have any regrets now." She answers sadly.

"Can I ask why did you see Dr Koh just now?" I ask, since this is the actual question that I wanted to ask her. She seems depressed ever since she walked out of Dr Koh's consultation office, and she cried earlier too. She opens and closes it back again. I can see she's hesitating on answering me.

"It's okay if you do not want to answer." I say. Then we fell into an awkward silence. I took a sip of my cappuccino.

"Ying Jie... Actually... I have only less than half a year left." She said. I don't get what she meant at first, but she clears my confusion next.

"I'm dying."

***

“You’re back! Where did you go? You know I’ve been worried! I rush to the hospital after my meeting and Dr Koh said you cancelled the appointment and went after one of his patient. I called you but you didn’t pick it up. Why didn’t you pick up your phone? Where were you? Who is that patient?” Aaron started bombing me with questions when I reached home.

“I just met an old friend and wanting to chat with her, that’s all.” I said. I know I’m lying, but I have promised Rainie not to tell anyone about her condition.

“That’s all? THAT’S ALL?! You cancelled the appointment, which is important as it concerns your health, and you cancelled it just because you want to chat with your old friend. But that’s not the point. I’m worried sick and I thought something bad happened to you, since you did not even pick up my calls. Don’t you have the tendency to give me a call at least?!” He started raising his voice at me. It’s the first time that he raised his voice at me. I took out my phone. 16 missed calls, why didn’t it ring? Then I realized I have put it in silent mode before the appointment.

“I put it on silent mode.” I said.

“Shouldn’t you check your phone at least?!” He shouts. Because he shouts at me, my anger is starting to rise up.

“I do not have the time to check my phone! I’m having my time with my friend and checking and playing with my phone is rude, okay?! I know not putting on silent mode is my fault, but that doesn’t mean you should shout at me!” I shout back, and walk straight to my room. I closed my door with my full force and I jumped at the loud slamming sound. I put my bag and phone on my desk and sat down on the chair. After a few seconds, my phone starts to vibrate. It’s a text message. I unlock my phone and open up the text message.

 

From Aaron Baby ♥
Ying Jie, I’m sorry for shouting at you. I’ll leave first. Let’s talk after you had calm down.

 

I can’t believe my day. Rainie told me everything. Yes, everything, which includes her condition, the truth behind those news, and her decision to leave Aaron 2 years ago. And now, I have shouted at Aaron just because he shouted at me. I know he’s worried about me, and I feel bad for shouting at him. I guess it’s because of all the things that have happened today, but he shouldn’t have shout at me too. I put my phone away and head to the bathroom to have a shower. I need to relax my mind and temporary not to think about the things that has happened today.

***

-Flashback-

“What?” I manage to say after what she told me. I don’t think I’ve heard it right.

“I have been diagnosed with Leukemia. I’ve been living with this for the past 3 years.” She says, and all I could do was to stay silent. I do not know what to say.

“When I know about this, I thought the doctor has given me the wrong report since I do not have any symptoms of feeling unwell, so I ignored it. But it worsened the next year. I opt for getting chemotherapy at first, but the doctor says that my condition is already in a very late stage. They say they do not know how much time I have left, so they told me to do what I wanted to do the most now. So I decided to leave Aaron, not wanting him to be involved in this because I know he loves me a lot, and I love him. I started on my bucket list. I have 3, and I start off with fulfilling the first one on my list, getting a degree on fashion designing.” She says, and looks at me, like she’s waiting for me to say something.

“So… the real reason you left is because of your Leukemia?”

“Part of it is because of this, but another part is because I do not want to have any regrets. Don’t forget, my bucket list.” She says and smiles. This time, her smile is not fake like earlier. She’s much stronger than me, I thought to myself. She has her bucket list to fulfill after she knows about her condition, and decides to leave Aaron and not wanting him to be involved. What about me? I just ran away from Taichung thinking I could start a new life in Taipei, which led me to meet Aaron. And after that, I just let Aaron to be involved in this condition with me.

“Then I started on my next list, opening up a store that sells all the clothing that I have designed in Taipei. So, I came back to Taipei few months ago. But other than this, you have helped me to fulfill my last list.”

“I have helped?”

“Yes. The last one is to see Aaron being happy, in love with another woman, and forget about his feelings for me. I have made a nuisance at Aaron’s house when I came back. You must have heard it from Aaron and Ya Tou. I did that was to find out whether Aaron has any feelings left for me. When they told me that he has a girlfriend, I was actually happy, since he has already forget about me, but when they told me that he is in the hospital, but he’s not the one who is sick, I was actually afraid that his girlfriend, which is you, are really sick, like me. A month later after I am settled down with the store, I invited him out for a dinner, using the excuse that I want to apologize to him about my behavior and invitation to my new store. Actually, the real reason is to make sure that Aaron has forgotten about me. That was the night that Aaron was my boyfriend news broke out. If you remember, there’s a photo that I am holding onto Aaron’s hand. That was what I do to make sure he has stop loving me. I was hoping he would shake off my hand, but he didn’t, which made me thought that he still feels something for me. So when there are reporters asking me about our relationship, I decided to say that he is my boyfriend. If he takes action to dismiss the news, it would let me know that he has found someone he truly loves, and has forget about us. And he did, which I have no regrets anymore.”

“You really did not feel well that day because of the Leukemia. Then you came and find me… You weren’t really trying to pull us apart. You were testing me.” I said, realizing the truth behind all her actions. She nods.

“When I found out you have Leukemia too, I was shocked. Aaron loves another woman that has Leukemia, like me too? I can’t believe it. So I went to the hospital to see you, and also know whether you are recovering. I went to see Dr Koh before I went to see you. He said that your condition were not as worse as mine, but have less that 50% surviving rate. He said he was confident that you will recover from it, and I’m happy to hear that. I went to see you, and was in for another surprise. You and I look quite similar. So I tried testing you, to know whether you really love Aaron, and won’t leave him whenever something or someone is in the way. I tried testing Aaron too, to make sure that he loves you not just because you and I look alike. That’s the only thing that I could do to make sure. I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay, you have apologized earlier. I know it’s not your intention to do that.”

“Thank you, Ying Jie. Thank you for listening to me. Promise me, that you won’t tell anyone about this.”

I nod and give her my promise, as I totally understand her decision, since I have gone through this before in the past.

-End of Flashback-

***

A/N:

It's been months since I updated, and I know 'sorry' doesn't make up anything.

But I hope there are still readers out there reading this story.

HottestPudding signing off xoxo