Chapter 7: Text Messages from Him

CHERISH OUR TIME

 

Ying Jie’s POV

I went back to the hotel, and the first thing I did was to get my phone. I know switching on my phone, I might get some text messages and missed calls from Sheng Yi, but I can’t always hide from him. I switched on my phone.

Yes, I’m right. There’s some text messages form Sheng Yi, and also from an unknown number. The unknown number must have belonged to Aaron. I open the text messages from the unknown number first.

 

From Unknown
Hi Ying Jie! This is Aaron. I wanted to ask you what kind of job you like? I could help you get it.

 

It’s really Aaron. I add his phone number to my contact, and type him a message.

 

To Aaron
Hi. I’ve gotten the job at your workplace. Thank you for introducing me to this company. Sorry for not replying you yesterday. I’ve switched off my phone till now.

From Aaron
It’s okay! At least you have gotten the job you want. Maybe we could celebrate that you have gotten a job later tonight? A dinner?

 

He asked me to a dinner later. But I can’t. I need to meet up with a landlord, which provides low apartment rentals. Maybe I could have lunch with him. He’s my new friend, and he introduces me to this company. To thank him, I should treat him to a meal.

 

To Aaron
Sorry, I have something on tonight. Maybe we could eat together tomorrow lunch? Since we are working in the same company, it should not be difficult.

From Aaron
Definitely! Alright I’ll see you tomorrow.

 

I’ll have to remind myself tomorrow to have lunch with him. Next, I open up Sheng Yi’s text messages.

 

From Sheng Yi ♥
Xiao Xun told me that you’ve called her, and tell her you’re alright, but I don’t think you’re alright. If you’re really alright, you have already at least reply me, or called me. I know you. I’ve known you for such a long time, and I know that no matter what happens, you will call me, or at least text me. Ying Jie, I will wait till you call.

From Sheng Yi ♥
It’s been 3 days. How have you been? I hope you’ll text back.

From Sheng Yi ♥
4 days now. You haven’t texted back. I really hope you’re okay.

 

My tears started to fall. I rub it away. I should text him back. I can’t just leave and let him wait for me. I should give him a definite answer. Or else, he will wait for me, and I can’t let him do that. He needs to find another girl that will love him more than I do. I take a deep breath, and text him back.

 

To Sheng Yi ♥
I’m alright. Don’t worry.

 

When I wanted to text him another message, he calls me. I leave it there to ring. I can’t pick up, because I know I will start crying if I heard his voice. If I picked up the phone, I can’t give him a definite answer too. I can’t tell him I wanted to break up with him. Because I still love him. The phone stops ringing. I send him another message.

 

To Sheng Yi ♥
Don’t call. I will not pick up. If you call again, I’m not going to reply your text messages too.

From Sheng Yi ♥

Okay, I’ll not call. It’s just… I wanted to hear your voice, to know that you’re really fine and alright.

To Sheng Yi ♥
I’m really alright.
Actually, I wanted to tell you my answer. Sorry, I can’t accept your proposal. I don’t think I can be your bride.

From Sheng Yi ♥
Why? You’ll be my perfect bride. If you won’t accept, it’s fine. We could get married few years later.

To Sheng Yi ♥
I don’t love you anymore. I don’t think I can get married to someone that I don’t love. We should break up.

From Sheng Yi ♥
Break up?! Is it me? Did I done something? I can change! Just don’t break up with me!

To Sheng Yi ♥
It’s not you. It’s me. The problem lies with me. I don’t love you. You should find another girl that will really love you and make you happy.  Goodbye.

 

I hug myself, and cry. I’ve hurt him. But that’s the best way for him to get over me. My message tone rings. I open the text message.

 

From Sheng Yi ♥
Okay… I won’t force you. Goodbye, and just to let you know… I love you.

 

***

I woke up. I must have drifted off to sleep. I do not know how long I’ve cried, but I must have cried till I sleep. I look at the time. It’s 7:40PM. ! I only have 20 minutes left to meet the landlord. I quickly grab my bags and left.  

I reach the apartment flat where I’m meeting up with the landlord. I look at the time on my phone. 8:12PM. I’m really late. No wonder I didn’t see anyone outside the elevator, where the landlord had asked me to meet. I dial the landlord’s number.

“Hello? Is this the landlord of Greene View1Apartment 12? I’m Wu Ying Jie, the one who is meeting you at 8PM.”

“Oh! Miss Wu. Hello. You’re late.”

“Ah yes, yes. I’m sorry that I’m late. I’ve just reached here.”

“Oh sorry, Miss Wu. What I meant is I have just rent the apartment to another person, who is looking at the apartment the same time as you earlier.”

 “It’s alright. Thank you by the way. Goodbye.”

“You’re welcome, Miss Wu. Goodbye.”

Oh, so the apartment has been rented out not long ago. Sigh. I’ll find another apartment tomorrow.

***

1Made up apartment flat name