Chapter 3: Second Encounter

CHERISH OUR TIME

 

Aaron's POV

"Thank you Mr Yan. I hope we have a wonderful time working together.

"We'll sure do."

After shaking hands with Mr Terence, I walked out of the meeting room. I looked at my watch, it's 9AM. The meeting lasts for an hour. I walked towards the western restaurant located at the lobby of this hotel to have my breakfast.

When walking towards the restaurant, I saw her, Wu Ying Jie. She was walking out of the hotel. This should be our second encounter. I ran after her.

"Mr Yan! Where are you going?" My secretary said, trying to stop me from running.

"Miss Chen. You can go back to the company first."

"But Mr Yan, you have meeting at 10-"

"Cancel all my meetings for today. Reschedule them if needed." I finished off and continue running after her.

Running out, I saw her queuing up for a hotdog stand. I walked towards her and tapped on her shoulder. "Hi!"

She turned around and looks shocked. Her shocked expression is similar to Rainie's. After a few seconds, she started to speak.

"Hi. Why are you here?"

"I'm here for a meeting. Why are you here?"

"Here's your hotdog bun Miss." She took the hotdog bun from the person selling it, and paid for it.

"This." She took up her hotdog bun and showed me. Then, She walk to a nearby bench and sat down. I followed after her, and seated myself beside her.

"Um..." She said, trying to start a conversation. Oh right! I haven't told her my name.

"Aaron." I told her.

"Aaron, have you eaten your breakfast?" She asked me, taking a bite of her hotdog bun. Before I could answer her, my stomach began to grumble. I heard a laugh. I laugh together with her, to ease my embarrassment.

"I guess you haven't had your breakfast. Here! Have some!" She took half of her hotdog bun and gave it to me. I looked at the hotdog bun. I've never had food from a stand before. I think she have guessed that, based on my expression when I looked at the hotdog bun. She put the hotdog bun back into the paper bag.

"Sorry."

"It's okay. I guess that you have not tried it before." Then, my stomach grumbled again.

"I think you should go and have your breakfast. You can't leave your stomach empty." She stands up, ready to leave. I stopped her.

"Eat with me." I said and pulled her into the same restaurant that I was about to go to earlier. We went into the restaurant and get seated down. She looked around, with an uneasy look. Maybe she doesn't want to be here. I thought.

"Sorry. If you want to leave, you can. I only want you to accompany me to have breakfast. I do not know it will cause some discomfort."

"No, it's just... I'll have breakfast with you." My face lit up at her last sentence.

* * *

Ying Jie's POV

"Sorry. If you want to leave, you can. I only want you to accompany me to have breakfast. I do not know it will cause some discomfort."

I looked at him. He must have seen my uneasy look just now. He's just trying to make friends with you. I thought.

"No, it's just..." Just for today, spend it on breakfast. After that, you can go and find a job.

"I'll have breakfast with you." I can see his face brighten up when I said I’ll have breakfast with him. One breakfast won’t hurt.

“So what do you want to eat?” He asked, smiling at me. I looked at the menu, shocked. A meal cost almost NT$1000. What should I choose? Just then, the waiter came and asked for our orders. He looked at me, and asked me the same question again.

“Um…” I looked at the menu again, and I flipped to the dessert page. I picked the cheapest, but still expensive dessert from there. “I’ll have a piece of cheesecake.”

“Cheesecake? It’s not good to just have a piece of cake as your breakfast.”

“I have eaten my hotdog bun earlier, so I’m quite full.” I said. Then my stomach began to make some noises. Great! You just have to make some noises now. I should have eaten dinner last night.

He chuckled. “One medium rare steak and one medium well steak please. Thank you.” He took the menu from me and passed it to the waiter.

“Wait. I only wanted cheesecake.”

“Eating cheesecake won’t make you full.”

“But-”

“If you insist to have cheesecake, then I’ll have the same with you.” Gosh. This man. I do not know how to stop him. Sighing, I just nodded my head. After a while, our foods are served.

“Most girls do not like to have medium rare meat, so I ordered medium well steak for you. Hope you don’t mind.”

“Not at all. I like it medium well.” I replied, giving him a small smile.

“Why do you always look so depressed?”

“I…”

“If you do not wish to tell me, it’s okay. I’m just asking.” I guess he must have seen my hesitation in whether to answer him or not. I just gave him another small smile. After that, we ate our breakfast in silence. After eating, he paid for the food, saying it’s his treat. What a gentleman. I guess he really wants to be my friend. He insists on sending me back home. How am I supposed to tell him that I actually do not have a home, and just staying at this hotel? We’re not even friends now right? Just then, his phone rings. It must have been and urgent matter, judging by his expression. He said he is unable to send me back. Saved by phone call. He left hurriedly. When I was about to turn back and head towards the elevator, he shouted.

“Wait! Ying Jie!” I turned back around. He mouthed 2nd encounter, and then raised his hands and showed 2 fingers. I nodded at him. Then he turned back at head out of the hotel.

Will fate really let us meet for the third time?

* * *

Aaron’s POV

I turned back and head out. The smile again. She always smiles sadly. I can’t help but wonder what had happened to her, what causes her to feel so sad?

I’ll ask her when I see her next time. I know I’ll see her.