Chapter 1: First Encounter

CHERISH OUR TIME

 

Ying Jie's POV

"Miss, your phone has been ringing non-stop. I guess you should pick up the phone."

I looked at my phone. Sheng Yi's calling me. I didn't pick up, just waited for it to stop ringing. After it stopped, I realised that there have been 24 missed calls and 17 new messages. Knowing that all of it is from Sheng Yi, and knowing that he will call back, I switched off my phone.

After a while, I reached my home. I quickly paid the driver the cab fees. Yes, quickly. I needed to pack all my things and moved out. I can't let Sheng Yi find me.  The first thing I reached home was to toss everything inside a luggage. Then, I look around, hoping that I have not left anything that is important to me here. Then, I left. Knowing that he’ll be here any minute, I decided to walk a few blocks away, and then hail a cab to a hotel, a hotel that is far away from here.

I checked in to a room that I can afford and allows me to stay for at least a few weeks. I know based on my condition, I can’t stay long here. He’ll definitely find me. I have to quit my job too. But after quitting my job, I have to find another, or else I can’t even afford to find a place to stay.

I looked out of the window. The night view here is beautiful. It will be best if someone you love accompanies you here and watch it with you. I laughed sadly at my thought. I just broke the heart of the person I loved. He must have been devastated, puzzled on why I have left him. No, I should stop thinking about him. I decided to take a walk, to help me forget about him.

I walked to a nearby park. It’s beautiful there. There’s a fountain with lights, nice and fragrant flowers by the side of the pavement. There’s a big empty space, or should I say a field, around the fountain. Many couples and family is sitting down at the empty space, talking, and looking up to sky. I looked up, and there are many stars in the sky. It’s beautiful. No wonder there are many families and couples are here. They are stargazing. If only I could share such a view with Sheng Yi.

I continue walking around the park. Then, I saw a big pond. I sat by the pond, and look at my own reflection. Ying Jie, you look pathetic. You should smile. Make yourself happy, until the time is up. That’s my new wish… and probably my last. I stood up, stretch my hands out wide, and closed my eyes. Feeling the breeze, I said to myself, my new life begins here.

* * *

Aaron’s POV

Looking at my watch, it’s 10PM. I took out my phone and call Mr Lee, the chauffeur to fetch me, since I did not drive here. I decided to walk around once more, while waiting for Mr Lee to reach here. Unknowingly, I walked to the pond. I saw a girl, facing the pond, with arms spread wide. It seems like she’s committing suicide. Seeing her slowly moving forward, I quickly ran towards her and pulled her behind.

“Miss, you’re still young! Even if you have any difficulties or problems, you can’t! What about your parents? What about your friends?”

“Hahaha…” I heard her laughed, sadly. “I do have a big problem…” She said and turned around. Her looks… she looks like Rainie. I stood there, wide eye. “But I don’t think I wanted to end my life because of the problem.” I heard her continue. Her voice woke me up. Even though she looks like Rainie, their voices are not the same.

“Sorry.” I apologises. She smiled sadly. “It’s okay.” Then, she walked away.

When she walked away, it seems to me like she was Rainie, and she was leaving me… again. I can’t let her leave.

“Wait!” I shouted. She turned around, waiting for me to speak. “Um… Can we be friends?”

“Friends?” I guess she does not want to be friends with me, seeing her hesitating.

“Or can I at least know your name, and your phone number? We can get to know each other, and then you can decide whether you want to accept me as a friend.”

“I’m Wu Ying Jie. I’ll let the fate decides whether we could be friends. I’ll give you my phone number when we have met for 3 times. This is the first. Goodbye.” She smiled sadly again, and waved. Then she turned around and walked away.

* * *

Ying Jie’s POV

“Um… Can we be friends?”

“Friends?” I asked back, hesitantly. Do I even have time to make new friend?

“Or can I at least know your name, and your phone number? We can get to know each other, and then you can decide whether you want to accept me as a friend.”

I thought for a while. Maybe god wants to fulfil my last wish of my life, and let me meet this man. Then I decided, since I only have a year left, why not make myself happy and make a new friend?

“I’m Wu Ying Jie. I’ll let the fate decides whether we could be friends. I’ll give you my phone number when we have met for 3 times. This is the first. Goodbye.” I waved at him and left.

I’ll let the fate decide whether this man and I are able to become friends, whether god really wants to help me to fulfil my wish.