Chapter Eight: Dewey

Elzora Academy

 

Professor Prix handed the Deweys to a group of first years which sat at the front and told them to pass the Deweys on ensuring every group has a Dewey. At Yongguk’s side, they all started to introduce themselves. “Hey there! I’m Shishi. Heh heh XD” There was a long silence as everyone waited for Jongup to introduce himself but Jongup just stared blankly into space not realizing it was his turn. Shishi lightly tapped his knee and he snapped out of this daze. “J..Jongup! Neh…” He stuttered, an awkward silence came after that, Yongguk stared at Jongup and they both broke into awkward smiles. It never crossed Shishi’s mind that Yongguk and Jongup were that close and similar. “How about you? You’ve been really quiet.” Shishi said as she tilted her head towards Keke’s direction. “Uhh it’s Keke.” Keke said in a hushed tone and looked down avoiding the rest of the group’s gaze. “Hey there, why do you keep looking down?” Tats asked Keke. “Uhh…” She said with uncertainty in her voice. Another long pause, “Well okay moving on XD… There seems to be a trend for awkward pauses in this group.” Yongguk said as the group laughed at this. “Hello I’m Tats! Nice to meet you all!” Tats said smiling as she waved. Tats then nudged Himchan in the ribs making Himchan jumped and yelped. “I’m Himchan.” Himchan said simply glaring at Tats and breaking into a smiling after that. “Mmm, I’m Daehyun.” He said as he bowed. “Deh. I’m Yongguk.” Yongguk said in a low voice.

 

“Alright! Now every know what they have to do? Alright you guys can begin!” Professor Prix said as she clapped her hands. “. I didn’t listen.” Yongguk cursed. “I was listening, the task is pretty simple. Make this Dewey fly.” Daehyun said as he raised one of his eyebrows trying to recall the things Professor Prix had said tapping his chin with his index finger. They all had just realized they had a Dewey in the center of their circle. They stared at the now asleep Dewey. “Uhh… Do I wake him up?” Jongup asked looking towards Yongguk’s direction for his consent. He nodded and Jongup tickled the center of the Dewey’s four leave clover top. The Dewey peeked with one eye open and then closed its eyes as it jumped out of the pot. This Dewey had a totally different feeling than the previous Dewey. It gave off a sense of arrogance and proudness. “How do we make it fly again?” Himchan asked “Say up.” Daehyun plainly said. “Up.” Yongguk said in a low monotonous tone and the Dewey just rolled its eyes at Yongguk. “Up.” Shishi tried next with a bit more expression but not enough to make this Dewey take flight. “Up.” Jongup then tried saying awkwardly. The Dewey just raised its eyebrows and gave an “Are you even trying?” look to them. “Up up up up!!” Yongguk screamed in frustration but the stubborn Dewey looked annoyed now. “Oppa maybe we have to try a different approach maybe to impress this Dewey.” Tats said matter of factly.”Uuuppp~~” Tats sang in a melodious tone.

 

The Dewey’s eyes grew big for a moment then closed its eyes once again and nodded. It was a little impressed. “Oppa! It likes it! You know what to do.” Tats said excitedly pointing to Daehyun. “Please fly~~”  Daehyun sang beautifully as he dragged the notes to make it into a short melody. The Dewey closed its eyes swaying from side to side as it walked over and stood in front of Daehyun and Tats completely ignoring Himchan’s presence. The Dewey opened its eyes and nodded to Daehyun and Tats as if requesting them to sing once again. “Fly~~” Daehyun and Tats smiled at each other as they sang a lengthy “Fly~~” Their voices perfectly matching and blending with one another. The Dewey then nodded with a smirk on its face and it closed its eyes. It was now really impressed and jumped next to its pot. Its propeller like leaves on the top started rotating. It clutched on to its pot and took flight. It flew away from the group heading towards the green house. Then it stopped in its tracks and hovered in mid-air. It then turned around and went towards the group. It lowered itself to the group’s eye level and bowed to them. It then took off at full speed back to the green house.

 

 “Uhh… Now what?” Yongguk asked as they slowly stood up. Dusting themselves as Yongguk pulled Shishi up. The group then walked over to Professor Prix. She was smiling to herself observing the other students. “Uhh… Our Dewey kinda left…” Yongguk said as he scratched his nape. “What do you mean your Dewey left? Did you guys lose it?” Professor Prix voice was more stern and cold now, her gaze changed to a more serious one as she knitted her eyebrows together with her arms akimbo. “Nononono we didn’t lose it!!” Jongup said as he waved both of his hands frantically *Like hajima ;)*. “Then how did it disappear? What you? First years able to make the Dewey fly? Who are you kidding?” Professor Prix stared at the group, she looked quite furious. “As a matter of fact Professor. We did make it fly. It took its pot and left.” Tats said as she stared in disbelief at the professor. It was like the professor was under estimating their abilities for some reason. *Was this really the same professor that apologized to them for waiting outside for such a long time? It certainly didn’t feel like it.* This was the thought on everyone’s mind.

 

The professor looked shocked and questioned “How? How were you able to- A Dewey..” “We did it by singing. It was impressed and took off.” Shishi said as she turned her head to look at the rest of the group which were nodding and they all smiled. “With these high quality RnB chickens who wouldn’t be impressed?” Yongguked said as he laughed looking at Tats and Daehyun. “I’m sorry what did you just call us? High quality what? XD Oh god. That has to be the most random thing I’ve ever heard someone call me and Oppa!!” Tats said laughing at Yongguk’s randomness. “What!! High quality or should I say royal quality RnB Chickens!” Yongguk said as the whole group doubled over in laughter. They had totally forgot that the professor was standing in front of them, it felt like they had strong connections with each other even though they had just met. Like all of them were now in a world of their own, together.

 

They now noticed that the Professor was making her way up the steps to the greenhouse. “What’s up with her?” Yongguk asked, “Probably checking if the Dewey is actually there or we’re just pulling her leg.” Tats replied. “I can’t believe her honestly, it’s like she’s underestimating us. Like we’re not capable enough! Ugh… ” Tats continued. The group then turned to look at the rest of the first years. They finally understood why professor was so shocked that they were able to even impress the Dewey let alone make it fly. They were all having extreme difficulty. They annoyed the Dewey so much that the Deweys buried themselves back into their pots with a little of their leaves sticking out of the soil. “Well. I think we did extremely well.” Yongguk said as he stared back beaming at the rest of the members. “Heck, why do I feel like some leader.” Yongguk said as he laughed. The others just smiled back, some laughed along. “Tch. I wouldn’t really mind if we started hanging out together and you were the leader.” Daehyun stated. “Mmm hmm ^^ I had fun together, with all of us together as a group!” Tats said as she gave a gummy smile to the group. “Group work in the future we’ll all be in a team alright?” Himchan asked the group. “CAAALLL!!!” All of them agreed in unison causing the other first years to stare at them. “Shh!!” Daehyun placed a finger to his lips. 

“They are probably thinking what a weird bunch we are XD” Jongup said as the group nodded they were indeed weird.

 

Just then, the familiar catchy tune of the school bell reigned supreme over the background noise in the school. “Oh over already? That’s quick. Do we have anymore periods for the day?” Shishi asked the others. “Nope.” A timid voice replied Shishi it was Keke. “Oh okay. Well Keke talk more dearie, you’re awfully quiet XD!!” Shishi smiled at Keke. “Ahh neh.” Keke said as she nodded giving a >< face. A gust of wind then blew past the first years but it was no usual wind. The wind was talking ._. “Yongguk’s group please come to the greenhouse. The rest goodbye to you all, be safe on the way out.” “Oooo they’re in trouble~~” A boy said as he snickered at Yongguk’s group. They all in unison once again glared at the boy that made the remark. His arrogant grin instantly was wiped clean from his face and was replace by a fearful expression as he quickly ran forward to join YoungJae and the rest of his friends.

 

 After the rest of the first years were gone, they shuffled up the steps towards the greenhouse. When they arrived, the professor then smiled widely at them. “Uhh did we do something wrong?” Keke asked in a voice that was slightly louder than usual. “No!! No not at all. I wanted to apologize to you all.” Professor Prix said as they all stared at her with questionable looks on their faces. “I… Uh… Was really surprised with you guys’ results. I wanted you guys to actually try to make the Dewey fly without me teaching you guys anything. So that by the end of the term, I would conduct this again and obviously everyone would be successful as they would have learnt more about creatures and respecting them and yeah all that. But you. You guys just exceeded my expectations. Like really exceeded!! I’ve never had a batch of first years that could possibly impress a creature let alone be able to make them listen to your command!! Kids, please understand I didn’t mean to be all mean and everything to you guys I just thought you guys lost the Dewey but when I heard this young lady here say it bowed to you all I knew it had to be true.” “Aww hell it’s alright. It’s fine really Prof.” Yongguk said. “Yongguk. Langguage. Haha! Nah I’m kidding.” Professor Prix laughed at her own statement. “Don’t underestimate us! It makes us that we’re not that good! And useless!” Keke exclaimed. “Alright alright kids I’m sorry. Alright that is all I wanted to say to you all. Thank you, you all for proving to me that you are better than I expected. You all may go now.” They all exited the greenhouse and they just stopped all at the same time. “What just happened? And why the hell do we keep doing the same things at the same time? Okay this is getting creepy xD…” Shishi asked. “Nooo clue…” Yongguk replied and the rest shrugged and nodded. “See you guys during dinner? Aight?” Yongguk asked as he turned to face the others. “Caall~~” They all agreed and dispersed at the bottom of the tree outside of the Professor Prix’s “world”.

 

“Well, they are an awesome bunch to be around and anyways our lessons are done soo… Shall we spend some ShiGuk quality time together? Alone? ;)…” Yongguk said as he wiggled his eyebrows up and down. “Oh god you big dork. XD” Shishi said as she punched Yongguk’s shoulder lightly. She then continued “I would love to.” And Yongguk took her hand as they entered the castle.

 


Yeah!! :D How was that for a chapter? Hope you guys enjoy reading all the chapters so far XD!!