Chapter Twenty Four: Locked Out

Elzora Academy

“You guys ready?” Yongguk smirked as he grabbed Shishi’s hand.

“Definitely.”  She smiled at him.

“Where’s Daehyun?” Tats suddenly realized.

“And Keke.” Jongup pointed out.

“Were they in their rooms?” Himchan said as he sipped Tats’ iced Americano.

They saw Krystal, Ashlee, Kris and Youngjae walking out of school. “Hey Youngjae,” Yongguk jogged over to them, “Have you seen Daehyun and maybe Keke perhaps?” Yongguk saw that Krystal roll her eyes, “Don’t you dare put those two names together in a senten-“ Youngjae held his hand out to stop Krystal from speaking. “Yeah I’ve seen them,” he paused, “together.” He grinned at Krystal and she glared at him. “They’re sleeping under one of those trees over there.” He pointed to the trees that were scattered around the castle grounds. “They were?” Krystal practically screamed, Youngjae bowed as Yongguk thanked him and avoided the unnecessary drama.

Yongguk and the rest walked around the castle grounds till they saw two people under a tree. They approached them to be sure and indeed it was the both of them. Keke had Daehyun’s blazer covering her to act as a blanket.

“Hey! Have you guys heard? There’s an all you can eat cheesecake convention just down the street!” Tats shouted at them.

“Where?” Daehyun shouted and immediately sprung up, his eyes were slightly red.

Tats shook her head, “Works every time, ever since he was a kid. And now you guys know how to wake him up yeah?”

“You should tell this to Youngjae.” Himchan suggested.

“May I ask how you both landed up like this?”

“We got locked out of the castle.” Keke sat up and rubbed her eyes, Daehyun’s blazer still on her lap.

“Right, tell us what happened then, what it’s like to be outside the castle!”

“Well, it went something like this. Guys look over here in order for the flashback to appear. It’s like a screen guys, EA isn’t called a magic academy for nothing!” All of them looked to the left and waited. Nothing happened. “Okay maybe it’s this way.” Keke and the rest looked to the right this time. “Okay this is the right way.” Keke said as a screen appeared in front of their eyes.

-----

Keke wandered at the outskirts of the school. The sky had already turned pitch black. She walked towards the big wooden doors and tried to push them open. But they wouldn’t budge, they were locked. It was passed curfew.

“Crap. Why the hell did I have to walk on the outskirts of the school and get lost?” She sighed, “Me being bad at directions, I should never have gone that far out. I guess I’m locked out.” She paced around the entrance of the castle thinking of how she would spend the rest of the night.

Keke suddenly had this feeling in her gut. Like electricity was traveling through her body, her senses tingled, making her feel more alert. As if, something or someone was lurking in the shadows. She felt like she was being watched. Chills went down her spine, she shivered. With a bated breath and a drumming heart, Keke spoke up. “Who’s there?” it elicited no response. Her heart was pounding and then slowly a person emerged from the darkness of the night.

“You’re locked out eh?  Heh, me too.” He chuckled.

Keke knew him, he was in her year and also in the same clique. Her heart quickened its pace. It was Daehyun.

“Yeah, I guess.” Her glance shifted to the floor.

“Well…” He rolled both his sleeves up his forearm to his elbow before looking up at Keke. “I’ve been locked out for many of times so there’s nothing to worry about. And this time having company makes it way less boring.” He nodded at Keke. “And since there isn’t really much we can do right now. How about we go for a walk?”

*But I just came back from a walk...* She bit her lip. *But then again, I shouldn’t miss this opportunity to get to know more about someone that is in the clique I’m in.*

She nodded in agreement.

-----

Daehyun and Keke began to walk away from the castle in silence.

Daehyun cleared his throat, “Keke.”

“Hmm?”

“We’ve worked together during Biology class remember? The whole Dewey lesson, it was fun yeah?”

“Oh yeah I remembered, it was fun! And Dewey was adorable.”

“We should go visit the Deweys one day.” Daehyun suggested.

“Yeah we should! And you and Tats’ voices are amazing. I wish I could sound like that.”

“Thanks,” He grinned, “Tats and I have been singing since we were young.”

*Woah they knew each other since young.* Keke felt her heart sink a little.

“Maybe you can sing, you never know.”

“Oh by the way,” He continues, “I’ve wanted to talk to you for a while now. We rarely get the chance to huh? Since we’re in with such a big group.”

“Yeah.” Was all she replied, *Why does he want to talk to me?*

“The reason really why I wanted to talk to you was because when at times I see you not looking that great, I want to let you know that I’m here for you since well, ever. And now with the rest of our clique, we’re here for you.” He didn’t give her time to reply and carried on.

“You should talk to Jongup you know? You guys are close isn’t that right?”

“Kind of.” She muttered.

“I want to talk to you more but every time I try to talk to you and ask you what’s wrong, my pride just stops me, it’s frustrating I don’t know why.” He laughs.

*Why would anyone want to make a conversation with me? I’m such a loser.* She continued to stay silent.

“I’ve noticed for a while now that you’re quite clumsy.” The corners of his lips went up as he said this.

“It must quite pressurising when the other first years stare and even glare at you when you break stuff huh?” He cocked his head to the side as he stared at her.

Keke heaved a sigh, “Finally someone understands me. Not to mention hanging out with you guys can at times be stressful.”

He burst out into laughter, “What? How?”

“People burn holes in the back of my head with their laser eyes whenever I’m with you guys.”

“What? Isn’t a little overdramatic?” He waved his hands around as a bug flew around him.

“Well because I’m a loser! People don’t think I deserve to hang out with you guys, I don’t think I deserve to either.” She confessed.

“What does it even mean to deserve to hang out with someone? You think you’re not good enough? How good must someone be then, are there levels of goodness?” He looked dumbfounded.

“Yeah newsflash, Krystal doesn’t like me.”

“Yeah I know but, why is the school like that?”

“How should I know, I’m this clumsy girl, this loser, this girl that’s breaking you and Tats up so as people said.” She gulped.

“What? That’s stupid of them to think that. How can they say that you’re breaking us up? No you’re not, this is stupid and impossible.”

“Yeah, I know.” She sighed, “Welcome to my world, but this is one of the reasons why I at times don’t feel that right.”

“Anyone threatened you or something, about this whole situation? I mean it can’t be that serious right?”

“Yeah, that would be to the extent of crazy.” Keke felt guilty for lying to Daehyun. 

Daehyun shook his head in disbelief.

After talking for a long time, they grew tired and headed towards a nearby tree.

“Excited for the break?” Daehyun asked as he propped himself against the tree bark.

“Yeah I am! Finally we’re going to get away from school.” She felt relaxed.

“Yeah, packed yet?”

She nodded and yawned. “I’m pretty tired. I think I’ll sleep now.”

“Shall I read you to sleep?”

“Uhh sure.” *What a weird thing to say.* She thought as she lied down on the grass and closed her eyes.

Daehyun cleared his voice a couple of times before he started. “This is from one of the songs that I like and found meaningful. It goes, sometimes you hit, sometimes you miss, it’s always like that. Just do it right tomorrow, it’s just a small mistake. Sometimes you’re in the bottom, sometimes you’re in the top, and sometimes you’re number 1. Getting 1st place, you can only go down.
You suffering now is a sign of your hard work. Everybody knows you tried, everybody knows it’s alright.”
At this moment Daehyun wasn’t reading the lyrics, he was singing it.

You get some right, you get some wrong, although it’s tiring there will be days to smile. When you fall down, you’ll get up. Although it’s tiring, there will be days to smile, eventually a day to smile will come.”

“Everybody knows you tried, everybody knows it’s alright. You get some right, you get some wrong, although it’s tiring there will be days to smile.”
He smiles at Keke, who was wide awake. He takes a deep breath and continues singing. “The past is the past is the past, previous memories are the past. You’ll forget those painful days. Because the past is the past, it’s the past.” He grinned at Keke to show that he was finished but realised that she had fallen asleep. Her head bobbed to the left without any support.

*She must be really tired.* Daehyun thought as he moved closer to Keke and placed her head to lie on his shoulder. He pulled out a necklace he had around his neck and rested it against his shirt. He fiddled with it and decided to unclasp it from his neck. He held it out, the moonlight shone through its translucent glass body. He smiled as he saw how peaceful Keke looked when she was asleep. He then clutched the necklace tightly in his hand and brought it close to heart. “I wonder if you remembered our promise.”


I edited bits of the lyrics from U-KISS' Someday :) Credits to kevinwookissme @ tumblr

Thanks for reading! See you in the next update! :DD!!