Chapter Seven: Biology

Elzora Academy

 

“Oh. Uhh hang on, let me check.” Shishi said as she reached into her pocket, taking out her winged key. “Biology.” It read. “Well look at you all fancy and stuff, Headmaster Ziaco really did some upgrade for the first years.” Professor Tarian said as she stared wide eyed at the winged key. “In my time, we had a wooden key and a piece of parchment with our schedule written on it. Well. Anyways guys, I’ll head back to the tree house. Visit me anytime, anytime and have fun at Biology. Bye~” Professor Tarian said as she waved goodbye to them at the entrance of the forest. “Well, that was extremely pleasant meeting her.” Shishi said as Yongguk nodded.  Soon they reached another tree on the other side of school, following the rest of the first years. Shishi and Yongguk caught their names being mentioned in hushed voices, about how well they did in the previous class as well as gym. Shishi and Yongguk stifled their laughter as they heard this. They found it extremely peculiar at how people were noticing them just by being themselves. Soon, they reached a wall completely covered with blue bells and other flowers with their green vines attaching themselves to the wall. Right in the middle of the wall, there was a well grown healthy green tree. It looked rather out of place having walls all around it and having it sticking out in between the walls. But as expected, it had a reason and Shishi, Yongguk and the rest of the first years soon realized its purpose.

They stood near the tree, one of the students wanted to speak but he then stopped himself. Plants near the tree slowly backed away and crawled away from the tree. Smoke came out from the bottom of the tree. A line of smoke slowly formed at the bottom of the tree and started to ascend to the left. It made its way up. Nearing the top of the bark, it turned back down and descended towards the right. After the smoke had cleared away, there was an outline of a door on the tree’s bark. All of a sudden, the “door” flung open, an elderly plumb woman walked through it. The plumb woman wore white and dark green robes, the front stained with a little bit of mud. She wore frameless spectacles and had gray curly shoulder length. “Oh dearies!! I’m so sorry for making you stand in the sun like that! Come in come in!! I’ll explain more when we get in.” The first years quickly entered.

They felt like they had just entered a new world. As they stood on circular stepping stones, they were surrounded by water. In the water, strange creatures could be seen swimming in it. The creatures had a variety of colours, some of them jumped above the water. It seemed to be their way of saying hello. Most of the students grinned from ear to ear at this sight, some just plain amazed by the new world that they have just entered. They crossed the stepping stones and on to the other side. The other side was a covered with grass. On it were big squarish stones. As they followed the stones on the ground, it led them to a forked pathway. On the left path, it led to a cottage perched on a hill. The cottage was pretty small enough to fit for about two people. It had a dark yellow tiled roof, small circle windows on the sides of the cottage with a well-kept garden beside.  On the right, the stepping stones led to a greenhouse perched on the top of a taller grassy hill. The plumb woman led the first years up the hill towards the greenhouse. The students chattered as they made their way up the hill, walking on the squarish stones. They soon reached the greenhouse and trailed behind the plumb woman, entering.

The plumb woman beamed at the first years as she wore her bright green gloves. “Hello dearies. Welcome to the greenhouse. My name is Professor Prix. I will be teaching Basic Biology to you all.” Professor Prix said before she walked through another door that led to the back of the greenhouse. She soon returned with a potted plant. This potted plant was not anything ordinary at all. It was pale white in colour. With a water droplet like body, its eyes were closed with what seems to drool at the side of its line like mouth. It was fast asleep. It had two pointed teeth sticking out from each end of its mouth. On the tip of its water droplet body had an intense glowing blue coloured four leaf clover that shook slightly from its bobbing of its head as it slept.  “Ahh little guy fell asleep.” Professor Prix laughed as she said this, tickling the middle of its four leaf clover. As the creature woke up, the colour of its water droplet body changed to a darker green colour. He shook his head and yawned widely, his eyes slowly opening. He the sides of his mouth. He jumped out of its pot. Now revealing his tiny stubby legs which had tiny brown buckled shoes on them. Looking around its surroundings, his pupils enlarged and jumped back clearly shocked by the many pairs of eyes that stared down at him. It then looked down feeling embarrassed and dragged one of his feet across the wooden table shyly. The students laughed at its adorably cute action and it looked up and smiled widely at them. “This plant name is Dewey.” Professor Prix said as the Dewey was startled again starring at Professor Prix. It was stunned for a moment then nodded acknowledging his name smiling widely yet again.

The girls in the class squealed in delight at the cuteness of the Dewey. The guys just smiled at it. “Alright. So now all of you will have a chance to interact with the Dewey. I will bring more Deweys out. One moment please. ” Professor Prix said as she rushed to the back of the greenhouse once again. The Dewey then decided to impress the first years. It knitted its eyebrows together with its little tongue sticking out from his mouth. Clearly putting in the effort in order to make something to happen. The students waited eagerly. Slowly the blue four leaf clovers started rotating slowly. Its tiny legs lifted off the ground now.  The four leaf clover on its head was its propeller. “Uhh…..” A long but soft sound came out from the Dewey’s mouth. The girls all went “Awww…” at the cute sound that the Dewey made. It then flew higher and higher nearing the ceiling. The students gaped, amazed at its ability to take flight, suddenly its propeller stopped rotating. “Uh oh…” He said as he started to fall. The students gasp in horror. Then a hand came out and caught the Dewey just in the nick of time. It lay down on the palm of the hand. The owner of the hand belonged to the pink hair girl, Tats.  The class witnessed what happened and all clapped loudly for Tats. One boy in particular clapped louder than the rest. And Tats turned her head back and gave a smile to the rest. She smiled especially broad to the boy that clapped loudly for her. Slowly the Dewey peered open one of his eyes. It realized that he was not hurt in any way and hurriedly stood up. It looked towards his savior and instantly looked down once again feeling embarrassed. It dragged one of its feet along Tats’ palm doing the shy action once again. It then bowed to Tats and looked up giving a “>-<” face it was his own way of thanking her for saving him. The girls said “awww” once again and all of the first years laughed at the cuteness of the Dewey. Shishi tapped on Yongguk’s shoulder and imitated the face that the Dewey gave making Yongguk laughed at her cuteness and smiled as he ruffled her hair.

Professor Prix soon came back with a few more Deweys. “Now I want you all to firstly exit the greenhouse and form teams after which sit down together with your groups outside on the grass. One representative of each team to come forward and collect their Dewey.” The first years and Professor Prix trooped out of the green house, some girls helped Professor Prix carry some of the Deweys while they told Professor Prix how amazing Tats was for saving the Dewey from falling while she was at the back of the greenhouse. Professor Prix nodded impressed by Tats’ quick thinking to save the Dewey.

Shishi and Yongguk sat on the grass first. Yongguk called over his roommate, Jongup and asked him to join them. He sat down beside Shishi. He smiled as well as waved to her. Shishi smiled back at Jongup. Near them, they heard the rest of the students screaming “TATS TATS join our team!! Daehyun!!! Daehyun!!”  Tats laughed at this while Daehyun pulled down his mask and smiled at them. They politely rejected their offers. Daehyun and Tats headed towards Yongguk’s team. Daehyun adjusted his mask before looking at Yongguk and asked “Uhh can we join you guys?” He smiled as he said this, Tats hid behind Daehyun. “Sure sure!” Shishi said as she patted the grass, inviting them to sit down. “Mmm Oppa, could I call my friend over?” Tats asked as she turned to look at Daehyun. “Ask Yongguk ssi.” Daehyun simply said as he smiled while he pointed to Yongguk. “Ahh heck why not.” Yongguk said as he gave a gummy smile. “Alright. Himchan uhh!!!” Tats said as she motioned to one of the boys in the cluster of first years calling him over. Himchan ran towards the group and smiled extremely wide. He then sat down next to Tats making Daehyun shift closer towards Yongguk. He did not seem annoyed by this, instead he smiled. “Ahh this is your friend? Mmm…” Daehyun nodded as he said this. Himchan smiled even wider if that was even possible as he had been acknowledged by Tats as her friend.

Soon the students formed their respective teams of six. “Does anyone not belong to a team?” Professor Prix asked as she looked around the groups seated on the grass. A girl wearing a hoodie then stood up and walked towards her. She was the same girl from Charms who was unsuccessful in casting the “Hexa” spell.  “Oh dearie. You don’t have a group? Why not join that one? Mmm?” Professor Prix said as she smiled sweetly to the girl as she pointed to one of the groups. It was the group with the boy named YoungJae and the other two girls that scared the Woolwines and four other first years. The girls glanced up and down at the girl wearing the hoodie as if scanning her, clearly judging her. Daehyun realized this he then asked “Professor! Can she join our group instead?” as he stood up. “Keke is it dearie?” Professor Prix asked and the girl nodded. “Alright go on then join their group.” Keke kept her head low and headed towards Yongguk’s group and sat next to Jongup. Jongup smiled awkwardly at Keke and Daehyun sat down after her.

“Alright now! Everyone in groups? Good. I would like to personally thank this student. Can we give a round of applause to Tats for her quick thinking to save that Dewey?” The class erupted in applause. Tats suddenly felt shy and leaned onto Himchan’s shoulder as she covered her face with both her hands. Himchan was startled by this action and blushed a little. The applause soon died down and Professor Prix beamed at Tats as Tats gave a gummy smile. “Now that we are all ready. Let’s begin our little group work. Shall we?”