Chapter Thirteen: The Mirror

Elzora Academy

 

Keke hastily walked away from the group. “Keke! Where are you going!” Himchan called out to Keke but now with her hood over her head ignore him and continued to walk away from them. Jongup wanted to chase after Keke but Daehyun stretched out his arm and blocked Jongup’s path. “Save it Jongup, I think she needs some time alone.” Yongguk crossed his arms and nodded, “Let’s get to Biology.”

 

The group passed a few first years as they dragged their feet towards the tree that led them to the greenhouse. When the first years called out Tats’ and Daehyun’s name, Tats noticed something strange about Daehyun. Daehyun shook his head before a smile appeared on his face to greet the other first years. With such a small action that was so subtle, but Tats knew something was wrong. Tats saw through his façade. It wasn’t fooling her, *I wonder if it was because he’s worried about Keke. If that’s the case then he must be worried sick. But being this worried for a girl he knew for about two days? How odd.*

 

They soon entered the tree and were welcomed by the familiar creatures in the small river. They crossed the river, Shishi surveyed the group of first years around her. There was no sign of Keke. Shishi sighed as they walked up to the greenhouse. “Okay! Hello my dearies! Today we’re going to learn some theory!” Professor Prix said a little too excitedly. The students sat around a cold metal table that had some ordinary looking plants on it. Professor Prix bounced around as she exclaimed about how fascinating the plants found in the Norms realm were.

 

Shishi and Himchan were fast asleep along with half of the class. Yongguk tried to stay awake but the more he looked at the many species of plants the more he felt how similar everything looked. He looked around the room and saw that his fellow classmates copying notes and attentively listening to Professor Prix. He saw that Jongup and Tats smiling brightly at the professor, constantly nodding. Daehyun was trying to stay awake just like Yongguk. *How is it that Jongup,Tats and the other first years are able to stay awake? Are they actually paying attention and understanding her rambles? Dang I respect them.* Jongup realized that Yongguk was staring at him and gave Yongguk a wide smile. For some reason, Yongguk somehow felt like smiling too after seeing his smile as if Yongguk had been injected by some virus - A happy virus that is.

 

Professor Prix was far too engrossed in talking about the unique and different plant species that she didn’t even realize that most of the class was already asleep. Yongguk had never thought of Professor Prix as a loquacious teacher but oh boy was he wrong. She He continued to endure her endless lesson now about which flower’s stigma would be most likely to be pollinated first in a field of flowers but just then a knock on the door surprised some of the first years. They looked over their shoulders and saw a man that wore a torn and tattered fisherman’s hat with a gardening outfit and bright green rubber boots. Daehyun’s shoulders sank a little and felt a tinge of disappointment. This confirmed Tats’ assumption *Aww he’s worried about her, how cute.* and smiled. “Professor Prix, your red Lachrymoses are here.” He said gruffly as he scratched his short trimmed white beard. “Ahh thank you, Kingsley! Put em’ in the back, thank you.” Professor Prix said quickly dismissing Kingsley and returned to the theory of plants. It felt like the only exciting thing that happened in class was Kingsley entering with the red Lachrymoses. Yongguk sighed as he watched Shishi sleep peacefully and her hair, his eye lids felt heavy as the lesson continued.

 

Later that night, Keke tossed and turned in her bed. She just couldn’t sleep. *Stupid potion stupid potion.* She chanted to herself. Frustrated, she emerged from the velvety covers of her bed. She rubbed her eyes and slowly opened them. Her eyes slowly adjusted to the change of light. The sun had long been set, the sky now pitch black the stars were out of sight. She walked over to the bathroom and looked at herself in the mirror. She went closer, her finger traced around her red and puffy eyes. She puffed her cheeks and blew out some air. *Where did all the time in the day go?* *What have I been doing today?* She thought back to the events that occurred today. *Why did I cry so hard..?* She questioned herself as she paced around the toilet, thinking back. She shook her head in frustration and sat down legs crossed on the toilet seat. *Maybe I should go and see Professor Hooks. It’s not as if I can sleep tonight anyway. Stupid potion.* She cussed again. She quickly changed into her pajamas before she made her down to the potions classroom.

 

Keke walked the corridor that led to the potions classroom and shuddered. *Damn should have worn my hoodie.* There was just something about this corridor that gave her an eerie feeling. She quickened her pace, her brisk footsteps pierced the eerie silence. She reached the entrance of the potions classroom and peeked in. She saw Professor Hooks stirring something in a big cauldron that stood at the front of the classroom. *._. Does he even sleep?* Keke knocked on the door. Professor Hooks looks up, “Ahh Keke, enter.” Keke entered and quietly sat in the front row. “Hang on, I’m just about done here.” Professor Hooks said as he stirred the familiar orange potion. “Is that the cure, professor?” “Cure? You didn’t actually think that bottle that I broke this morning was the cure right?” “I-“ “That was my failed attempt for the potion I’m making right now.” “So there’s no cure?” “Of course not. It has all to do with the mind. Gosh the number of people asking me for the cure is just preposterous.” “Uhh professor then why did you call me here?” “So I could see again Keke.” “Ahh what?” She replied feeling confused. “Haha I’m kidding Keke.” He chuckled. *._. Did the extremely serious, always has a expressionless face, Professor Hooks just laugh?* “No- I called you here to help you Keke, you’ve seem to be well - I don’t mean to be mean but you seem to not be doing so well at everything. Am I correct to say that?” “Uhh yeah I guess so.” Keke looked to the floor, she felt her heart drop. “Hmm and you’re now claiming that you’re having trouble with sleeping, yes?” “Yeah…” She sighed. “Hey, but it’s fine. It’s only your second day right? There’s still time to improve.” Professor Hooks made Keke smile and she raised her head up. Professor Hooks scooped some of the orange potion into a glass vial and walked to the back of the classroom with his cloak swishing behind him, Keke followed him.

 

Keke and Professor Hooks entered a small room that was lined with grey stone walls. Professor Hooks placed the glass vial with the orange liquid on a wooden shelf that leaned on the left side of the room. He took out a small glass bottle filled with a colourless substance. “Keke do you remember what these are?” He shook the bottle. “Memorunes sir.” “That’s right, now Keke do I have your consent to look into your memories?” “I uhh yeah I guess if it helps me.” Keke shrugged, she didn’t know how to respond to this. It wasn’t every day that someone asked to look into her mind. “Trust me.” He said assuring her. He opened the bottle that contained the memorunes. They floated out of the bottle and around the room, “Right now I need to find that memory. Hmm…” He paused as he walked around her. “At the back of your mind maybe? It’s normally the place where you try to not think about it, almost forgetting it.” He concluded wisely in a hushed tone. She nodded “I guess that makes sense sir.”

 

He took the memorunes into his hands and placed them at the back of her head. “You can move away now.” He motioned her to come beside him. “Woah…” She noticed a few memorunes had turned black and became the background of the many objects in white bubbles that sat on the branches. “This is a part of your memory core.” -This is from adventure time :3 Love that cartoon ;)-

“A part?” “Yeah a part of it. Everyone has different locations of their main memory core. It depends on the person.” He coughs, Keke saw a hint of pain and regret in his eyes. “Well enough of that.” He smiled “Let’s see, you’re having trouble sleeping? Maybe a same bad dream that haunts and repeats from time to time?” “Yeah, that does happen.” Keke bit her lip, “It should be that one.” She pointed to a bubble that contained a whip like object in it. “Hmm a whip?” He turned to Keke and raised his eyebrows. He then raised his wand and extracted the object out of its bubble. The whip like object was still in its black form, it floated at the tip of his wand. He moved his wand close to another floating memorune, the object bouncing and hovering as it followed the wand. The object instantly popped into the memorune, he handed her the memorune containing the object and stashed his wand. “Hang on to this, I will be back.”

                                                                   

Professor Hooks went to a small room at the right corner of the room. He started to push a gigantic mirror out of a store room as the floor boards creaked. Keke helped to pull the mirror as well, she stared at the mirror the mirror was massive, with its simple dark brown frame that supported an oval shape mirror. She noticed a wooden snake that coiled itself at the left bottom of the frame. After pushing the mirror into the room, Professor Hooks dusted his hands on his robes. Keke stood in front of the mirror there wasn’t any reflection. *How strange.* She thought to herself. Professor Hooks then took the memorune from her hands and pushed it into the mirror. It melted right in making ripples on the surface of the mirror as if it was made out of water. Professor Hooks then smiled, an image slowly forming on the surface of the mirror. He motioned to the mirror and said “Ladies first. We’re going for an adventure.”

 

 


Hey my cheese cakes >3< Some of you may have noticed a small little skip from the first period to the night, I wanted to do this to pick up the pace a bit because there are much more awesome things waiting for you guys in the future. *whispers* Close to the end of first year ;) Heh heh I apologise for my bad descriptive skills I'll improve on that :) Hope everyone likes the story so far those who has been commenting and supporting thank you and to my silent readers, I know you guys are cheering me on too inside your hearts. Just realised some friend requests I've gotten. Thank you, I've accepted all of them. Love you guys xD Himchan throwing hearts like Woohyun xD!!